ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to OTHER Schengen countries with temporary Greek Visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Travel to OTHER Schengen countries with temporary Greek Visa?

Post by stefffs » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:55 pm

Hello, I have been staying in Greece from July 2022-June 3rd 2023 (one stamp in and out), I was staying on a Greece Nomad visa, but a few months ago I got accepted for a Greece Golden visa, so I am currently in the process of transferring the visas over and I now have a temporary Greece Golden Visa PDF certificate as well as my old Greece Nomad Visa EU card (which effectively is no longer valid due to the swap). On June 3rd I flew to London and I now want to fly to Austria on the weekend from London direct. I should have a full 90 days on my to use in the Schengen Zone as my Greece days don't count as it's my area of residence. My only concern is whether Austria will think I have over stayed in Schengen (due to the Greek entry and exit stamps) with my Nomad EU card no longer being valid and the Greece Temporary Golden visa certificate only being accepted by Greek authorities. Do you think I will have a problem or will it be enough to show the card and PDF? Many thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Travel to OTHER Schengen countries with temporary Greek Visa?

Post by meself2 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:08 pm

So what do you have valid? What will you show as a visa to Austira?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by stefffs » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:14 pm

My temporary Greek Golden Visa Certificate (PDF) is valid and has allowed me to stay in Greece legally, however, it's not recognised by other countries. I also have the non-valid EU Nomad card that expires in 2024 which also allowed me to stay in Greece. I'm hoping showing both would be enough?

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by stefffs » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:15 pm

I also have a UK passport that should have 90 Schengen days to enter Austria as the Greek days shouldn't count as I've lived there as a resident.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:41 pm

That should be fine, unless they will decide to examine your stamps closely, but you can then explain you were residing in Greece.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by stefffs » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:53 pm

Ok thanks so much.

Is it better if I use my second passport (Australian) to avoid confusion as it will have no stamps?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:57 am

stefffs wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:53 pm
Ok thanks so much.

Is it better if I use my second passport (Australian) to avoid confusion as it will have no stamps?
You can use either your Australian or UK passport. it makes no difference.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by stefffs » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:07 am

But my Australian passport has no stamps, so surely it would remove any confusion?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:12 am

stefffs wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:07 am
But my Australian passport has no stamps, so surely it would remove any confusion?
Or would it? Would it not be confusing for them to see you leaving Greece a few days ago (passports are different, but person is the same) and coming back without stamps?

It's nitpicking. Both of your passports allow you to stay in Schengen zone as a tourist. If they have questions, show Greek documents and be fine.

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by stefffs » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:15 am

How would they know I left Greece? Are the flights in a system? I thought it’s just stamps until ETIAS launches in November?

Are you sure they’ll be fine with the temporary Greek document as it’s not meant to be recognised by other countries until i get the official card, so that’s why I’m nervous.. but at the same time I should be fine 🙈

Thanks for the help.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:20 am

You're overthinking, honestly. Use any passport, take Greek document just in case and be on your way just fine.
stefffs wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:15 am
it’s not meant to be recognised by other countries until i get the official card,
Yes, but you're not using your Greek document as a way to show your right to visit Austria - your passport is enough for that. Your Greek document will help if they will have questions about your length of stay in Greece, where this document is originating from. But I expect them to not even bother.
stefffs wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:15 am
Are the flights in a system?
I've heard about people being questioned about flights and something being checked at the border in this regard, but that's just hearsay. It's not important in your case, as said above.

stefffs
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by stefffs » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:25 am

Amazing ok thanks !

Glory17
Newly Registered

Post by Glory17 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:05 pm

So, I've dealt with some EU visa switch-ups myself. From my experience, as long as you have that temporary Greece Golden Visa certificate in PDF, you should be fine. It's your current valid document, after all. The Greek entry and exit stamps might raise questions, but your old Greece Nomad Visa EU card, even if it's not valid anymore, shows the history of your legal stay.