ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change to citizenship certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

W2theg
Newly Registered
Wales

Name change to citizenship certificate

Post by W2theg » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:36 pm

Hi all,

Here is my query:
I recently made a slight change to my name through Deep poll and applied to update my passport which i received on 05/06/23.
Do i need to update my certificate of naturalisation as well? I read on the government website the fee is £250 for correction of mistake but nothing mentioned about change of name on the website.
Please note that the change of name i made through Deep poll is only spelling.

So I'm not really sure in this moment in time if I have to fork out £250 just for a simple spelling change of my name. I wrote to the department last month but I'm yet to hear from them.

Moderators or anyone who has been through this experience, your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Name change to citizenship certificate

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:39 pm

You cannot change the name on your naturalisation certificate. It will also remain as it was based on your foreign passport details at the time.

It is only the passport that you can change the name after deed poll.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

W2theg
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by W2theg » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:56 am

Thank you CR00, that has given me a piece of mind.

Maybe that's why HMPO didn't ask me why my certificate of naturalisation is not in my name when they asked me to send it a week ago (after sending all the documents they requested initially) to them in order to clarify the place of birth.

It stressed me out a little bit at the time knowing that it was my old name on the certificate when i sent it, to the point i thought to write a cover letter, but after reading their email a couple of times, it said not to include any cover letter just to send the requested document, which I did. Then Boom ! A couple of days later "application approved" email came through.

Sorry but you didn't answer my silly question in regards how to create a topic on this forum in case if i have a different issue to the afore-mentioned. What is the option on here? I looked around on my profile section and elsewhere but couldn't find it.

Thank you

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:13 pm

W2theg wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:36 pm
Hi all,

Here is my query:
I recently made a slight change to my name through Deep poll and applied to update my passport which i received on 05/06/23.
Do i need to update my certificate of naturalisation as well? I read on the government website the fee is £250 for correction of mistake but nothing mentioned about change of name on the website.
Please note that the change of name i made through Deep poll is only spelling.

So I'm not really sure in this moment in time if I have to fork out £250 just for a simple spelling change of my name. I wrote to the department last month but I'm yet to hear from them.

Moderators or anyone who has been through this experience, your help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Hi,

I’m also trying to change my name before applying for British passport.
It’s just that a part of my first name should move to surname but the name order remains same.

So my query is when you applied for British passport with the naturalisation certificate having a diff name did they accept it?

What all documents you submitted whilst applying for your British passport? Was that your first one?

I’m planning to follow this order.
1. Apply for naturalisation in my previous name
2.Change name through deed poll after getting the naturalisation certificate
3. Cancel the foreign passport
4 . Apply for British passport using new name.

Will that work?