ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retaining ILR - BRP after Neutralisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

surfsumi
Mood:

Retaining ILR - BRP after Neutralisation

Post by surfsumi » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:48 pm

Dear Guru's & Members of this Forum.
I have recently aquired BC . My younger daughter is British born but she was born before I became settled. So she had to go through MN1 & has her Neutralisation Certificate. My elder daughter ( born abroad ) also became a BC through long stay + ILR. I have seen somemembers were advising to retain Adult ILR to prove how children became BC. But I'm not sure if this advice only for children born after parents become BC or settled. Should I retain my ILR BRP or should I return it to HO ?
Your advice will be much appriciated.

Thank you
S
SURESH

secret.simon

Re: Retaining ILR - BRP after Neutralisation

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:57 pm

You need to retain the ILR BRP if a child was (a)born in the UK & (b) after at least one parent got ILR status.

In that case, the child would have been born a British citizen. The proof of their British citizenship would have been their British birth certificate and their parents' ILR BRP pre-dating their birth. These children would not have either registration or naturalisation certificates.

If your children have registration certificates, their British citizenship is based on their registration certificate, not your ILR BRP. And therefore your ILR BRP can be safely surrendered.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

surfsumi
Mood:

Re: Retaining ILR - BRP after Neutralisation

Post by surfsumi » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:58 pm

Thank you So much.
SURESH