ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accepted Referees for British Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AKL
Newly Registered

How soon after ILR can you apply for British Citizenship

Post by AKL » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:26 am

In need of some advice.

My husband has just been granted indefinite leave to remain,(currently still waiting for the BRP to arrive) but he was granted ILR via the 5 year spousal visa.

It was my understanding that he has to have had the ILR for 12 months before he can apply for British Citizenship, however I have come across this article on the gov website where it states that you do not need to wait 12 months to apply for British citizenship if you are married to a British citizen (which I am).
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain

It would be great to have some clarification on this and any advise is much appreciated.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: How soon after ILR can you apply for British Citizenship

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:14 am

AKL wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:26 am
In need of some advice.

My husband has just been granted indefinite leave to remain,(currently still waiting for the BRP to arrive) but he was granted ILR via the 5 year spousal visa.

It was my understanding that he has to have had the ILR for 12 months before he can apply for British Citizenship, you understood wrong however I have come across this article on the gov website where it states that you do not need to wait 12 months to apply for British citizenship if you are married to a British citizen (which I am).
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain

It would be great to have some clarification on this and any advise is much appreciated.
A person on spouse route does not need to wait for 1year after ILR to apply for naturalisation. Such person can apply as soon as they get their ILR.

AKL
Newly Registered

Re: How soon after ILR can you apply for British Citizenship

Post by AKL » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:14 am

Thats amazing news, thanks so much for the reply.

AKL
Newly Registered

Accepted Referees for British Citizenship Application

Post by AKL » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:57 pm

Hi guys,

When applying for British Citizenship are "Mortgage Brokers" accepted as a recognised professional?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Accepted Referees for British Citizenship Application

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:04 pm

Check page 24 for acceptable professions.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AKL
Newly Registered

Post by AKL » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:57 pm

Thank you for the list, Broker appears to be on the list but not mortgage broker... I hope that by "broker" they include all brokers ....

I also wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed that the new BRB cards that are being issued for Indefinite Leave to remain have an expiry date for 31st Dec 2024, this is what my husband received today. We have no intension on waiting until then as we are immediately applying for a British passport but does this mean if he did not want to apply for British citizenship that he would need to renew the BRB card again in 2024?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:07 pm

Once your husband becomes British (at the ceremony) then ILR and BRP are a thing of the past, meaningless. So husband should get a British passport ASAP after the ceremony. A British citizen cannot hold a BRP which is an immigration status document!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

AKL
Newly Registered

Post by AKL » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:11 pm

Thanks, that I do understand but say he did not want or could not apply for a passport now, what would happen in 2024? Will he be sent another BRB card? I thought that the home office was supposed to have sorted this BRB card issue years ago I don't understand why they are still issuing the new BRP cards with an expiry date of 16 months. I thought perhaps there was some info around this?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:17 pm

AKL wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:11 pm
Thanks, that I do understand but say he did not want or could not apply for a passport now, what would happen in 2024? Will he be sent another BRB card? I thought that the home office was supposed to have sorted this BRB card issue years ago I don't understand why they are still issuing the new BRP cards with an expiry date of 16 months. I thought perhaps there was some info around this?
BRP cards will be discontinued end of 2024 as part of moving the whole visa system to digital, part of the "digital border" project. Your husband will never receive a BRP (or digital equivalent) again once he becomes British. Not having a BP makes it difficult to travel, carriers expect a UK "visa" and you would have to prove at the UK border that you are British (take your certificate?) - this may lead to hold ups.

AKL
Newly Registered

Post by AKL » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:23 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:17 pm
AKL wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:11 pm
BRP cards will be discontinued end of 2024 as part of moving the whole visa system to digital, part of the "digital border" project. Your husband will never receive a BRP (or digital equivalent) again once he becomes British. Not having a BP makes it difficult to travel, carriers expect a UK "visa" and you would have to prove at the UK border that you are British (take your certificate?) - this may lead to hold ups.
Oh I did not know any of this, so if he does not go ahead with his citizenship application( which we will because I am British so he does not have to wait 12 months) but decides to keep his indefinite leave, after 2024 he will not get a new BRB and it may be difficult to travel?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:59 pm

We don’t really know how this will pan out for visa or ILR holder. As a British citizen no need to worry.