ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tuition and Irish Citizenshipn -only for 3-5 yr Eu residents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

californiaconor
Newly Registered

Tuition and Irish Citizenshipn -only for 3-5 yr Eu residents

Post by californiaconor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:36 am

This summer, I was planning on moving to Ireland. I'm 31 years old, was looking forward to a career change and returning back to college once I get there. My father is from Ireland, I'm in the application process for my passport, and I'm an Irish Citizen.

I come to find out that I won't get free tuition unless I've been a resident in one of the EU countries. Is there some way around this, or will I have to "bite the bullet" and pay for college if I want to get an education in Ireland? Are there alternatives?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Tuition and Irish Citizenshipn -only for 3-5 yr Eu resid

Post by mktsoi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 am

californiaconor wrote:This summer, I was planning on moving to Ireland. I'm 31 years old, was looking forward to a career change and returning back to college once I get there. My father is from Ireland, I'm in the application process for my passport, and I'm an Irish Citizen.

I come to find out that I won't get free tuition unless I've been a resident in one of the EU countries. Is there some way around this, or will I have to "bite the bullet" and pay for college if I want to get an education in Ireland? Are there alternatives?
they used to have this old rule just like britian. you have to live in uk or ireland 3 years prior you commence your course, or you will have to pay for it. i think the best thing to do is by contacting the dept of education and see what they say about it.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Re: Tuition and Irish Citizenshipn -only for 3-5 yr Eu resid

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 am

californiaconor wrote:This summer, I was planning on moving to Ireland. I'm 31 years old, was looking forward to a career change and returning back to college once I get there. My father is from Ireland, I'm in the application process for my passport, and I'm an Irish Citizen.

You will pay the EU-fees rate which is not as much but still significant compared to 'free' fees. Contact the Universities you wish to apply to and ask what their policy is.