ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Jobs in UK!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm

hsmpvictim123 wrote:
[3] ... with who ever said "only 4 out of 100 job ads are bogus". Not sure if this is industry specific (if it is, its wiser to note that in your post), but its not the case for finance or healthcare. I've been looking at some of the more reputed job boards for these respective areas. They just dont have many posts to begin with. If I've responded to a post that I fit the profile (see caveat below), at least half of them have called back in a week or 2. Not getting a call back doesnt mean they are bogus either - they just may have found someone for the role, and are not keen of taking the time to call me to let me know.
This is what I am saying.. Agents call back.. calling back doesn't mean that they have job.. they just call you to find out about your other interviews and your current employer details. This is 100% true statement for IT atleast.
This might be something industry specific - when I or some of my friends who have gotten laid off apply to a position advertisied by a recruiter, follow up calls that we get are all related to an exisiting vacancy. Perhaps it might be beneficial to ask up front if the position you applied for is still open, and get the details ofit upfront?

dingdon

Post by dingdon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:11 am

UK Market doesnt seem to be lucurative.
one of my friend's client company which has started an Major ERP(SAP) Implementation project for 4Years has been stopped in the initial phase.
This clearly indicates that companies are not ready to do major investments in the IT.

So new commers to UK should properly analyze the situation and should play safe.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:00 am

LankanFunkin

Liked your BIG post - sorry about being laid off and I wish you well in your current job hunting.

I totally agree there are some growth industries in a recession. Legal services are always good in bad times. Anything to do with house repossession, insolvency and mergers / takeovers will have more work than they can handle.
Debt collection agencies will need more people in IT to support their growth.
I know that the above sound dismal but a job is a job. Looking in different directions can lead you to a new job role. You do not need to travel with the heard.

KpaxM77P
Newly Registered

Job situation vey bad here in UK

Post by KpaxM77P » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 am

Job situation is very bad in uk..Not likely to improve until last quarter of 2009. People are being kicked out of their jobs every day..All IT jobs are suffering. Do not go by the job sites where you will be seeing plenty of opportunities. People having even UK experience are not being considered. Companies have temporarily freezed all recruitment and everybody is scared of loosing jobs. If you have a stable paying job in India, My advice is Hold on to that one..There is no use coming here and getting frustrated. Lot of my friends have returned after 3-4 months of job search..People who are interested in genuine advice please pay attention..otherwise try your luck..UK is very costly and try avoiding spending hard earned Indian money for daily subsistance..

UKbabbler1
Newly Registered

Post by UKbabbler1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:35 am

It's such a bizarre sight here in London. There’s thousands of people just standing in the street, milling around and bumping into walls because they have no jobs to go to. They get on the tube, which is now automated because the tube drivers got fired, and just go in circles then go home to their shelter because no-one has a house anymore due to repossessions.

They go to the job centre and look for work, but it’s just a pile of paper and post-it notes because the IT infrastructure collapsed because everyone in the IT industry is out of work and living on the streets.

Don't come to the UK, it’s like the apocalypse.

Snoozles

Post by Snoozles » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:08 pm

UKbabbler1 wrote:It's such a bizarre sight here in London. There’s thousands of people just standing in the street, milling around and bumping into walls because they have no jobs to go to. They get on the tube, which is now automated because the tube drivers got fired, and just go in circles then go home to their shelter because no-one has a house anymore due to repossessions.

They go to the job centre and look for work, but it’s just a pile of paper and post-it notes because the IT infrastructure collapsed because everyone in the IT industry is out of work and living on the streets.

O, please!! You make the UK sound like Zimbabwe. Do everybody a favour and shut up. Bloody hell, Londoners aren't zombies and unemployment is less than 7%!! Please don't clutter the forum with such rubbish!!

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 pm

"They get on the tube, which is now automated because the tube drivers got fired"

I think there might have been a hint of sarcasm in there :lol:

UKbabbler1
Newly Registered

Post by UKbabbler1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Snoozles wrote:
UKbabbler1 wrote:It's such a bizarre sight here in London. There’s thousands of people just standing in the street, milling around and bumping into walls because they have no jobs to go to. They get on the tube, which is now automated because the tube drivers got fired, and just go in circles then go home to their shelter because no-one has a house anymore due to repossessions.

O, please!! You make the UK sound like Zimbabwe. Do everybody a favour and shut up. Bloody hell, Londoners aren't zombies and unemployment is less than 7%!! Please don't clutter the forum with such rubbish!!
That was kind of the point.................

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Funny!! :)

World's best joke!!!

Cheers mate :)
Vanadil wrote:"They get on the tube, which is now automated because the tube drivers got fired"

I think there might have been a hint of sarcasm in there :lol:

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 am

UKbabbler1 wrote:It's such a bizarre sight here in London. There’s thousands of people just standing in the street, milling around and bumping into walls ...
Dude, those are just the tourists

:P

LankanFunkin

Re: Job situation vey bad here in UK

Post by LankanFunkin » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:16 am

KpaxM77P wrote:If you have a stable paying job in India, My advice is Hold on to that one..There is no use coming here and getting frustrated.

Blah blah blah

UK is very costly and try avoiding spending hard earned Indian money for daily subsistance..
Yes, I suggest everyone wih a Tier 1 visa ought to consider moving to India instead! :roll:

Mate, sorry to bust yous b@lls on this minor point, but please try and make your posts on this forum more globally focused. We are all in this stew together, be our origin from India, South Africa, US, or wherever.

Cheers

sri_sunny

Post by sri_sunny » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:30 am

As I said earlier, by virtue of my experience earlier in UK, the dynamics of job market is no different from rest of the world. I can quote experiences of my friends who were lucky enough to secure roles in top Tier companies in the last 4 months. Though the figures of lay-offs are alarming in the media, I've been getting calls for roles across UK. However, in my opinion, I feel we are in early stages of recession and as companies do, I would like to be cautious about my expenses and extra cautious in my performance. Inspite of all this, nothing would stop me going to UK NOW.

hsmpvictim123
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpvictim123 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:51 am

UKbabbler1 wrote:
It's such a bizarre sight here in London. There’s thousands of people just standing in the street, milling around and bumping into walls ...
Dude, those are just the tourists
very funny :D ...dont understand why they are bumping on wall though..
:lol:

khurramrafiq

Post by khurramrafiq » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:02 pm

I think council toilets are out of tissues..so may be.......? :shock:

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:12 pm

khurramrafiq wrote:I think council toilets are out of tissues..so may be.......? :shock:
Council toilets usually do not have tissues, they only have the hot air blower :).... I think the toilets are closed altogether which is driving people crazy and bump into walls.... lol.. I can't see why anyone other than Amy Winehouse would do such strange things :shock:

Jokes apart, I feel some people might be exaggerating the jobs (rather the lack of it) issue just a wee bit.. the reason ? Well, already there are few jobs to get hold of .. So why would someone already in a job hunt want more people to come and make it worse for them? Better elimniate the competition altogether right ??.. I say this from personal experience as well !! No harm done in reading threads with a pinch of salt. Some posts sound genuine though, so one shouldn't be overconfident as well !!

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Oops !! Posted twice..

rock_star

Post by rock_star » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:22 am

folks,

The job market in UK is not good for sure. And, Dec is not a good time at all to come and look for a job unless you have some contact and are approached for some interviews.

Wait and see the job-market. Things will not be green as it was in the past. It is oing to be a struggle for sure. I believe the picture would be more clear by Jan end( hope so ). Most of the companies havenot finalized budget for next year. Havin said that the critical operation jobs will always be there. But at this point of time companies prefer takin people from their own country and who have already worked in that type domain/technology.

Hoping things get better soon and that will be good news for everyone ; employers/employees.

cheers

balu1983

hi

Post by balu1983 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:54 am

Risk is everywhere. But if you stay there and fight .. you may win. And again, it all depends on the technologies and the domain you are from.

jagacharaja

Post by jagacharaja » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 am

Interesting, informative thread. Sorry I'm joining the party bit late. I'm in financial IT services industry and the place I work at has undergone several rounds of redundancies (at all levels) since the past few months. If I was outside the UK looking in, I would consider it to be nothing but sucidal to even think of moving to UK. Its been a crazy crazy past few months, everyday either some company goes bust or declares massive "organisation restructure". If you have something to hang on to, well, hang on tight, and only come to UK to look for job if a) you can afford yourselves the savings to survive for a long job-search-period or b) if money is of no issue to you.

I know this sounds very pessimistic but for an average person who's thinking of abandoning a mediocre life in his/her own country in the hopes of a good life by moving to UK and look for job, this is definitely something s/he should definitely know beforehand 'caus it's all a big illusion right now.

If you're someone with not many responsibilities and/or who takes calculated risks then none of this should bother you anyway - but I just think this needs to be said for the sake of people out there with binding responsibilities on their shoulders.

I really don't mean to dishearten anyone reading this. After all, luck is all we need. So take all these "warnings" or "negativity" or whatever you wanna call it with a pinch of salt, and carve your own destiny.

Good luck to us all.

jhp

Post by jhp » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 am

jagacharaja wrote:Interesting, informative thread. Sorry I'm joining the party bit late. I'm in financial IT services industry and the place I work at has undergone several rounds of redundancies (at all levels) since the past few months. If I was outside the UK looking in, I would consider it to be nothing but sucidal to even think of moving to UK. Its been a crazy crazy past few months, everyday either some company goes bust or declares massive "organisation restructure". If you have something to hang on to, well, hang on tight, and only come to UK to look for job if a) you can afford yourselves the savings to survive for a long job-search-period or b) if money is of no issue to you.

I know this sounds very pessimistic but for an average person who's thinking of abandoning a mediocre life in his/her own country in the hopes of a good life by moving to UK and look for job, this is definitely something s/he should definitely know beforehand 'caus it's all a big illusion right now.

If you're someone with not many responsibilities and/or who takes calculated risks then none of this should bother you anyway - but I just think this needs to be said for the sake of people out there with binding responsibilities on their shoulders.

I really don't mean to dishearten anyone reading this. After all, luck is all we need. So take all these "warnings" or "negativity" or whatever you wanna call it with a pinch of salt, and carve your own destiny.

Good luck to us all.

I totally agree with you and youve put it down very eloquently. I was nearly made redundant and just about managed to find another job. Although my new job seems now not so steady. However I must add having read this thread and threads on the employment forum and other sites peoples optimism is unbelievable especially with the UK already in recession .Most of them either dont read the news or dont want to read it or just think none of this applies to them. Either way I think its pointless to advise or warn people and some of them would prefer take a risk of making a expensive mistake rather than heed to all the warning signs....Good Luck to everybody !!!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 am

Look on the bright side. If the idiots want to come to the UK without a job in hand we should really encourage them, they will spend their savings in the UK and help our economy. They will go broke and have to go home, more than likely to no job. At least the UK will have had their money.

It will be a painful and costly mistake, what the hell it is not my problem.

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am

Frontier Mole wrote:Look on the bright side. If the idiots want to come to the UK without a job in hand we should really encourage them, they will spend their savings in the UK and help our economy. They will go broke and have to go home, more than likely to no job. At least the UK will have had their money.

It will be a painful and costly mistake, what the hell it is not my problem.
I understand your sentiments..That we have a forum like this to talk things over is in itself commendable.

Recession in the west and the (relatively) booming market in India are putting most of us in a difficult situation. For someone like me (working in SAP), things like the HCL-Axon takeover are a cause of worry too since Axon is the biggest SAP only partner as well !! .. Such mergers, takeovers and acquisitions perhaps aren't going to increase our salaries or job oppurtunities significantly in India but would definitely affect the job market in UK... So the question is whether I am leaving a decent-paying job here and chasing a crazy, risky, greedy career aspiration of mine in a country with much lesser job prospects ??

It is like point of no return for most.. so yeah.. luck and determination are both important.. And true, Jan end would be an important time frame w.r.t the budget and growth plans that companies decide for themselves..

Best of luck to all !!

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:43 pm