ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is having savings enough, or must I be working too?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zibal
Newly Registered

Is having savings enough, or must I be working too?

Post by zibal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Hello all.

As a couple about to apply for a fiance or spouse visa (still weighing up the pros and cons of each at the moment), we hope that some of the knowledgeable folk on this forum can help us answer a few questions as we go through the process. Our first question is this...

I'm a British Citizen, and I understand that to apply for one of the above visas I must be able to support my partner financially, ultimately for at least two years.

I'm fortunate enough to be debt free and have what I consider to be enough savings for us both to live on comfortably for two years (from looking at the UK average take-home pay). However, I'm currently on a career break and haven't worked for about a year. I will be looking for work soon, but we may have to apply for the visa before I find work. I have my own Ltd Company and an accountant who can verify my previous income.

Will my savings alone be enough to obtain a visa?

Thanks in advance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zibal
Newly Registered

Post by zibal » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks.

I did read that thread before starting this topic, but it doesn't cover my specific question: i.e. are savings alone enough.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:01 am

It would depend on how much savings you have. If they are considered as sufficient to adequately maintain the both of you, then they are enough.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

zibal
Newly Registered

Post by zibal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Ok, thanks. I know that this isn't an exact science, but just to try to get a feel for things...

If the Income Support level for a couple, per week, is £93, then that's just under £5k per annum. Adding £10k per annum for rent gives £15k per annum. So, over two years that's around £30k in total.

...so, if we have more than £30k in savings, we should be ok?

(Note, we both expect to find work during those two years - this is just worst case scenario stuff.)

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:14 am

zibal wrote:Ok, thanks. I know that this isn't an exact science, but just to try to get a feel for things...

If the Income Support level for a couple, per week, is £93, then that's just under £5k per annum. Adding £10k per annum for rent gives £15k per annum. So, over two years that's around £30k in total.

(Note, we both expect to find work during those two years - this is just worst case scenario stuff.)
If I was in your position I would be approaching this from a different direction. I would producing a personal budget sheet for the next two years showing my expected outgoings including all household bills, food, and personal expenditure. You also need to include any necessary travel expenses (flights?), wedding costs, and visa fees which currently are at least £1200. As in my opinion this would give you a stronger case than just stating that your savings should be enough based on the income support figure (so long as your expected outgoings were less than your savings...).

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am

I would personally say you will spend alot more than £93 a week in the UK as a couple. I probably spend that on jam and jaffa cakes :( But I'm a bad example.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Vanadil wrote:I would personally say you will spend alot more than £93 a week in the UK as a couple. I probably spend that on jam and jaffa cakes :( But I'm a bad example.
I agree, that's why I suggested providing a personal budget sheet to show that £93/week would be enough to live on.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:16 am

It's £95 + a few pence now...that £2 may make all the difference!

scorpiolady

Post by scorpiolady » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:58 am

djb123 wrote:
zibal wrote:Ok, thanks. I know that this isn't an exact science, but just to try to get a feel for things...

If I was in your position I would be approaching this from a different direction. I would producing a personal budget sheet for the next two years showing my expected outgoings including all household bills, food, and personal expenditure. You also need to include any necessary travel expenses (flights?), wedding costs, and visa fees which currently are at least £1200. As in my opinion this would give you a stronger case than just stating that your savings should be enough based on the income support figure (so long as your expected outgoings were less than your savings...).
A budget plan is good. It shows how much your outgoings are. How do you get £1200 for visa fees?
Scorpiolady

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:10 am

scorpiolady wrote: A budget plan is good. It shows how much your outgoings are. How do you get £1200 for visa fees?
If you came here on a spouse visa you would have to pay for the the spouse visa (£515) straightaway, then within 2 years you have to pay for the Life in the UK Test (£33) and ILR (£750). Actually more like £1300....

Come here on a fiancee visa and that's an extra £395 for FLR.

scorpiolady

Post by scorpiolady » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:42 pm

My mistake...i read it as though it was £1200 all in one go...and not over a 2 year period... :oops:
Scorpiolady