ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation and time limit on tests

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2

n8net
- thin ice -

naturalisation and time limit on tests

Post by n8net » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:42 am

hi

hope everyone is well.

I applied for my wife's ILR based on 5 year residency in mid 2019 and got the ILR which expires next year.

Now want to apply for british passport for which I think first step is naturalisation, started to fill the form and it asks for Life in The UK test ref number, which I cannot remember.

Given the Life in the UK and English tests were satisfied for ILR, are the valid for Naturalisation as well or is there any time limit on those tests?

I hv been reading online and getting misleading info, so wanted to ask this trusted forum.

the applicaiton, only seems to ask reference for Life in the UK and not English, why is so and if I have not got a copy of that test result, how do I get it pls?

thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: naturalisation and time limit on tests

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:59 am

Life in the UK test doesn't expire, you need the reference number that was obtained at the time. If you don't remember, given it's still quite recent, try to check your emails or contact them to ask how to retreive it, their helpline is 0800 015 4245.
You can reuse the same English language test that was used for IRL, again you need to provide the URN number. To retrieve that you would need to ask the test provider. You could also try to do a Subject Access Request with the Home Office but I don't know how detailed it would be. If you can't retrieve that, your wife will need to sit for another test.
Please note your wife's ILR won't expire next year, UKVI is transitioning to digital status only, so only her BRP card will expire. ILR doesn't have an expiry date.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:02 am

n8net wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:42 am
hi

hope everyone is well.

I applied for my wife's ILR based on 5 year residency in mid 2019 and got the ILR which expires next year. ILR does not expire, the card does

Now want to apply for british passport for which I think first step is naturalisation, started to fill the form and it asks for Life in The UK test ref number, which I cannot remember.For check the email where it was sent to when you passeLIUKd or the form that was filled for ILR

Given the Life in the UK and English tests were satisfied for ILR, are the valid for Naturalisation as well or is there any time limit on those tests? They are valid

I hv been reading online and getting misleading info, so wanted to ask this trusted forum.

the applicaiton, only seems to ask reference for Life in the UK and not English, why is so and if I have not got a copy of that test result, how do I get it pls?

thanks

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:03 pm

thanks for the answers.

I have English test reference, but the application does not seem to ask for it.

it only asks for Life in the Uk test reference, which I do not have and searched both my email and hers - can't find it. Anyone remember how they used to send out results? is it email only? if so, what would be sender's address, so that I can search again.

anyway, why does HO asks for details again if those were provided as part of previous applications?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:25 pm

Could you look through your ILR application (assuming you have it) to see your details?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:21 pm

n8net wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:03 pm
thanks for the answers.

it only asks for Life in the Uk test reference, which I do not have and searched both my email and hers - can't find it. Anyone remember how they used to send out results? is it email only? if so, what would be sender's address, so that I can search again.

anyway, why does HO asks for details again if those were provided as part of previous applications?
Immigration application different from naturalisation application and even if same the burden of proof is on you, they don't have to loft a finger.

You can approach the LIUK with details to see how to recover...try Google.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:24 am

thanks again guys.

I do not hv a copy of ILR either, I will google and try to contact Life In the UK.

btw, regarding only card expiring, if I decide to stick with ILR for the time being, how do I get the biometric card renewed?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:32 am

BRP replacement: https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... xpired-brp
Recommendation is to apply 6 months ahead or expiry.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:53 am

I don't think OP will be able to renew BRP - HO is going digital.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem
You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:57 pm

n8net wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:03 pm
thanks for the answers.

It should ask... for Question "How did you get your result?" Answer "Online reference number". It should then ask for the awarding body and reference number.

As for the Life in the UK test... as above you must be able to retrieve it... either from last immigration application copy, emails, logging into the booking system for Life in the UK test. Failing all that a subject access request... try to get hold of a copy of application made which included the reference in 2019.

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:15 pm

Just checking I can't find my wife's email for Life in the UK pass so perhaps none were ever sent when she did her test in 2020. However... you should be able to use her email address to try logging into the Life in the UK test/booking site. It is highly likely the account is locked or blocked now so if password reset doesn't work contact them as the screen advises and see if you can get it unlocked. If you can then you should be able to see result and reference number under results tab. I would advise then taking a copy of the result using print to file save as pdf option in case locked out ever again.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:45 am

thanks again.

I tried resetting the password, but it comes back saying 'account is locked'. I may have to phone them.

does anyone know/remember how they used to send out results ? is it a paper certificate given by the center or do they email, if they email what email from?

PM74Juve
United Kingdom

Post by PM74Juve » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:37 am

n8net wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:45 am
thanks again.

I tried resetting the password, but it comes back saying 'account is locked'. I may have to phone them.

does anyone know/remember how they used to send out results ? is it a paper certificate given by the center or do they email, if they email what email from?
I'm trying to think back because procedures changed. I doubt we'd have deleted the email result back in Feb 2020 if it existed (but I cannot find) and I took a page save of the result in her account which again points to no email result as I'd have defaulted to using that as an official copy. I think she got her result verbally and then just through Life in the UK test account where the Reference number exists. But as I say I think procedures changed.. and we don't know when your wife took test other than obviously it was prior to ILR application. But I suspect the era we are talking it was neither paper nor email... possibly shifting from paper to electronic circa 2019? So hopefully you can get that account unlocked as the result should still be there with the unique reference.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:35 am

All you need is the URN - use the phone number I supplied above and get your account unlocked. That is what I did. You should have a tab with all the data and exam results. If that isn't there, people at the helpline should be able to advise.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:03 am

thank all, managed to get the LifeInthe UK test reference from previous SET M application and entered in the nNaturalisation application.

But for English test reference, where do I enter as the online application does not ask for it, it simply asks

'
Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English? '

To which I entered ILR, no other questions asked.

am I missing something?

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:07 am

actually in the nest page, it asks How did you get your results, but it has two options: ceritificate and reference.

I have the certiifcate in which there is a reference number, so which one do I choose?

if I select certificate, it seems I do not have to enter anything.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:25 am

Enter reference and then put in the reference. I did that and scanned the certificate when I applied, just in case.

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:16 pm

ok, will do that. cheers!

one more question, is it ok to apply for naturalisation and go on a holiday abroad right?

or is there any rule like only certain number of days can be spent outside?

I know there is a weird rule that on the date of application 5 yr ago, you must hv been in the UK which I do not understand the reason for.

thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:18 pm

Yes, you can travel after you applied and submitted biometrics. The absence rule applies only during the qualifying period (which ends on the day you apply).