ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current IT job market in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ghulbhai

current IT job market

Post by ghulbhai » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm

pathetic... im going back to India, i dont have money to spend here without a job.. last 6 months has drained it out...

now unemployment in the UK has hit only 3.4 million... its 34 lakhs... and i dont stand a chance anymore... nobody is getting recruited.

sorry, if you have a job, save it and stay. be happy that you are having a job.

asthra
Newly Registered

Java/JEE Jobs

Post by asthra » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm

5+ years of exp in Java/JEE, Spring, Hibernate, EJB, SOA etc. Still looking for a job since Oct 2008. The market is really bad..don't ditch your jobs to come here. Wait atleast till after April then, find the market conditions and then make your plans of coming here.

ghulbhai

Post by ghulbhai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:46 am

hmmm equally bad about .NET and stuff...

what to say.. i also tried my PM jobs... still same result... am getting back to India..

but my friends say Indian market is equally bad.. but atleast i can live in my parents house, unlike the rent of 500 pounds a month here..

raghu_ps
Newly Registered

Post by raghu_ps » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:47 pm

The job market is very dull. i have been in London for a little over a week now, and my impression is that the recovery is going to be a long and painful one. So, i advise all future enthusiasts to be very cautious before planning for job hunt here, it's very de-motivating.

My only questions to BHC is why the hell are they giving visas like candy's
in such downturn economic situation.

Apply, Apply no serious reply ... thats my story so far.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 pm

I wonder whats the status with the people who have been made redundant. When I came into the UK, I found it a little hard to get a job, primarily for the reason that I did not have UK experience and regardless of the fact that I was working with one of the best companies in India my experience was not honoured.

Now the people who are being made redundant do have UK experience. Are they finding the job market any different or slightly better than the newcomers?

Do share your experiences forum.

SallyA
BANNED

Post by SallyA » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:24 pm

The market is generally bad for everone looking for work at the moment and not just us people on a HSMP!

In my work 3 people have had redundancies and they are all UK born citizens - ut was because they are making cut backs where they can - lucky my position for now is ok as they need me! But definately I would not come here to look for work with out making sure something is here before i ARRIVE - its way too irregular right now! Not good at all!!!!

raghu0307

Post by raghu0307 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 am

h_s_m_p wrote:I wrote to BHC about the entry time period and i got the below answer from them.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email. If you were granted visa on HSMP permit then you should travel as early as possible to meet the requirement of HSMP permit as it should be present within 6 months from the date of its issuance. If you were granted visa under 'Tier 1 General Migrant' then you can travel anytime within the validity of visa.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I got Tier 1 General Migrant visa so i believe i can travel anytime during my visa validity.

BTW what do they mean by HSMP Permit...????

I have been reading some people on this forum and other threads that HSMP is totally stopped. While not totally denying it, I suspect it might be not all that true. MBAs from premier institutes in the list still come under the HSMP category. Rest qualify for general tier 1

suds19

Post by suds19 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 am

Has anyone who has got their Tier-1 after Oct-2008, been able to land a job in UK?

Requesting such people to share their job serach strategies with all who are already in UK and looking for job or planning to go there in next 1-2 months.

custodian

Post by custodian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:09 am

I am into pre-sales and technical infrastructure support in the Business Intelligence arena. I also do messaging infrastructure support with Lotus Domino and other applications like Websphere, etc.

I have found plenty of jobs on jobserve dot com that relate to my profile. Considering the current downturn I only doubt that these jobs listed are actually real jobs or fake ones. If they are real ones - then I can say I have some scope. (at least better than Java/J2EE developers, etc.)

I have not applied for any job yet as I think having a UK address and phone number on a CV makes a massive difference. I am reaching UK on the 15th of Feb 2009. I will buy a UK sim card and have a UK address on my CV and only then will start applying for jobs.

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Regarding job in UK

Post by garimasharma » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:32 am

Job scene in UK market is not good.Me and my husband both are trying to find a job before moving UK.We are presently in Germany.I am in Pharmaceutical industry and my husband in Semiconductor.Though Pharma is said to in good shape yet but i am not receiving any calls.We planning to move in next 2-3 months but without a job it seems really depressing.I dont know when market situation will become better......Please share your job search experiences here.......

SallyA
BANNED

Post by SallyA » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:30 am

I would try other countries too as the pharma industry is wide spread - people are losing jobs more than getting jobs here right now so be careful with your decisions and good luck :)

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:08 pm

thanks sallyA for ur reply but we are indians and have visa in germany till june 2009 and now have UK visa, so can check out job either in germany or in UK

SallyA
BANNED

Post by SallyA » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Then look in both places and hopefully something will come up here or in germany - just dont move until you have found something! Some people are here for months and have nothing :cry:

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I know of 4 workers that have just secured contract positions. All of them were registered with recruitment agencies and were actively looking everyday.

If you put in the effort and stay positive there is work out there. If you moan and truly belive that there is nothing there then you will find nothing.

I know that this is easier said than done, but moaning about it gets you nowhere so rather than flame me, go to .... wait I'm probably not allowed to link a bunch of IT agencies am I.... well...just google IT recruitment Agencies and start meeting some consultnats and fighting your corner!

JOBS!!!!!!!! :D

ghulbhai

could be !!!

Post by ghulbhai » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah there could be jobs.. but I have hit close to 170 consultants and have tried everywhere. My flight to India is next week.

I have tried PM, .NET, C++, MFC, ASP.NET and architect jobs too. If you get a interview call, you are lucky.

Forget it. I am going back home. With living costs so high, its useless to stay here anymore. The british economy wont recover even in 1 year's time.

And unfortunately, only more and more people are living in a fantasy to come here and look for jobs...

God bless them ! What can I say. I need to know go back and beg with my prev company to see if they have a position for me, at all.

SallyA
BANNED

Re: could be !!!

Post by SallyA » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 am

ghulbhai wrote:Yeah there could be jobs.. but I have hit close to 170 consultants and have tried everywhere. My flight to India is next week.

I have tried PM, .NET, C++, MFC, ASP.NET and architect jobs too. If you get a interview call, you are lucky.

Forget it. I am going back home. With living costs so high, its useless to stay here anymore. The british economy wont recover even in 1 year's time.

And unfortunately, only more and more people are living in a fantasy to come here and look for jobs...

God bless them ! What can I say. I need to know go back and beg with my prev company to see if they have a position for me, at all.
I am sorry that you didnt find anything :( I hope your job is there for you and wish you Good Luck

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:12 am

we will see upto may-june before making final decision.only visa cannot help!Does anybody know how long can be one out of UK before applying for ILR after 5 years and is there any requirement after 3 years?Can BHC give some time relaxation wid such a market situation for time frame of out of UK :roll:

inputsOnHSMP

things are not well with the job market

Post by inputsOnHSMP » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:02 pm

First it is very difficult to get called for interviews and even if you do, then there is a long list of interviewees that the companies are going through and it really takes a lot of time..
People without UK experience will find it much harder to get any jobs unless you have very solid experience that you can go for 60£+ jobs.
My advise would be to wait till March and then decide. Anyway the charm of £ is lost because it has lost its value significantily with respect to rupee and salaries and cost of living in UK does not really make it that attractive...

SallyA
BANNED

Post by SallyA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 am

Definately the value of the pound has slumped but the cost of living is rising its madness!

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:17 am

Does any one has some idea about semiconductor firms?Is here anybody from IC designing?

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:42 pm

IT market is gone and buried inside a coffin.. that much i can say.
semiconductor market - isnt the west coast of US the best place? or may be singapore ?

SallyA
BANNED

Post by SallyA » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:53 pm

sashi1979 wrote:IT market is gone and buried inside a coffin.. that much i can say.
semiconductor market - isnt the west coast of US the best place? or may be singapore ?
You would prob have better lucj in those places than here at the moment!

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm

IT market is dead and burried here? wow :) - overstatement to say the least

custodian

Post by custodian » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 pm

sashi1979 wrote:IT market is gone and buried inside a coffin.. that much i can say.
Yes. this is an overstatement for sure.

Have a look at monster, reed, jobserve - there are opportunities updated everyday - i see a few added once every 3 to 4 days too.

The best thing to do would be to subscribe to alerts from these websites and then you won't miss a single new listing posted in your area of expertise.

Its a numbers game - the more you apply - the more the probability of you securing a job. :lol:

SallyA
BANNED

Post by SallyA » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:26 pm

I agree daily job alerts are great and ensure you are kept informed and dont miss a thing!

Its easier to keep tabs on whats happening out there at the moment as well!

Keep trying - fingers crossed aye?