ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

immigration to france

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marcthepunk
Newly Registered

immigration to france

Post by marcthepunk » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:42 pm

hi guys. i was referred to this site from a friend who has been trying to assist me with immigrating to the US.
i am trinidad national who has been married to a france born citizen for 6 years. we have two beautiful kids together, who were also france born.
we have become fatigue with the social lifestyle and systems in my homeland. a decision was made to relocate to the US and care for our family there. unfortunately through labor certification, we ran in to alot of dead ends.
we didn't decide to relocate to france, for reasons of my profession and language inability. i am an IT professional who do not speak french fluently.
i am searching this site for answers and advice. any will be greatly appreciated.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:06 pm

You may wish to consider re-locating to the UK or alternatively Ireland. Subject to your spouse exercising treaty rights as an EEA national by way of employment/ self employment in the UK you will likewise be eligible to live and work in the UK. Such will be by way of you entering the UK on an EEA family permit (initially 12 months) extended by application as an EEA residence permit to 5 years by the UK's Home Office (USCIS equivalent). Type British Consulate US on a search engine and find the relvant application details.

The UK has a sizeable T&T population and the language issue will be moot. Likewise France is only a short flight or even train ride across the English Channel. Bon voyage.

marcthepunk
Newly Registered

Post by marcthepunk » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:58 pm

thank you for the response.
i am currently reading through eea family permits and residency faq's. my wife wasn't aware of this information. we were instructed by the french consulate, that an interview in their native language was a requirement for citizenship.
funny thing, my wife finds it difficult to teach the kids but not me. i'm trying but i need the practice and the will.
however, i am going to visit the british consulate to acquire some additional information.
i never really thought of the UK. do you think it may be wise over our current choices?

freeze791
Newly Registered

CANADA

Post by freeze791 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:48 pm

Why not Canada. I got millions of acres of cheap land. Free lifestyle. And nobody cares what you do as a profession.
Just live your life. Oh and don't forget to do some skiing.

Quantum
Newly Registered

Post by Quantum » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:14 pm

I'm trying Canada, but it's two years' processing time.

That is if I qualify as a skilled worker, but lately it looks like I won't be able to find such a job in Seattle, and so may not qualify at all.

Maybe as his wife is EU, he has some sort of special 'in' to Canada.

I would like to emigrate to Sweden, but it seems there are only three ways:
- Be rich;
- Be married to a Swede;
- Get a pre-arranged job in Sweden, with an employer who will certify no EU citizen can do the work (impossible).

Maybe Ireland/UK is the only way for a Yank to emigrate to Europe.

marcthepunk
Newly Registered

Post by marcthepunk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:02 pm

the uk seemed like the best bet overall.
while that may be an excellent choice, i have to re consider. i am a family man, and moving there with limited resources such as friends or family residing there can be a large risk.
the france consulate has offered an established visa free of charge that will allow me to reside and apply for a job. i've no choice but to learn the language.

gani999

Post by gani999 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:41 pm

Quantum wrote:- Get a pre-arranged job in Sweden, with an employer who will certify no EU citizen can do the work (impossible).

That is the case with every EU nation.

gemma
Newly Registered

Post by gemma » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:16 pm

marcthepunk wrote:the uk seemed like the best bet overall.
while that may be an excellent choice, i have to re consider. i am a family man, and moving there with limited resources such as friends or family residing there can be a large risk.
the france consulate has offered an established visa free of charge that will allow me to reside and apply for a job. i've no choice but to learn the language.
Hi, It seems that we are in the same boat, the difference is that I am already working and living in UK.. and we (my husband is French) are thinking about moving and living in France in a few yrs' time when I could speak a bit French :evil:

Uk is a pretty good place for IT area, and life here 's very diverse.. you could live your own life and have friends around like anywhere else.

Well.. I agree.. UK is a good choice.... I really love here. it's pretty much like my second home..

good luck...

gemma
Newly Registered

Post by gemma » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:18 pm

BTW, the application for EEA family residence document is very easy, and not complicate at all.. It took me 6 wks' to get it.. and you have the same right as your partner, not restriction on employment or whatsoever.