ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GC holder - return after 10-11 months

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tester

GC holder - return after 10-11 months

Post by tester » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:07 am

Hi,

I got my GC last year through a lottery and I went there for an activation trip which lasted couple weeks.

I'm back in my home country in order to finish last year of university. And then I am going to study master degree in the U.S.

My problem is that I don't have a reentry permit and I'm currently 4 months out of U.S. I am planning to return totaly after almost 11 months for good.

Is that a problem?

darko

Re: GC holder - return after 10-11 months

Post by darko » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:32 pm

tester wrote:Hi,

I got my GC last year through a lottery and I went there for an activation trip which lasted couple weeks.

I'm back in my home country in order to finish last year of university. And then I am going to study master degree in the U.S.

My problem is that I don't have a reentry permit and I'm currently 4 months out of U.S. I am planning to return totaly after almost 11 months for good.

Is that a problem?
I believe if you're planning to be gone from the US for more than 6 months you need a permit to re-enter.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 am

darko wrote:

Is that a problem?
I believe if you're planning to be gone from the US for more than 6 months you need a permit to re-enter.
Not true, if you re-enter the US within one year you do not require a re-entry permit. However if your trip is greater than one year but less than two years you require a re-entry permit.

darko

Post by darko » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:21 pm

joesoap101 wrote:
darko wrote:

Is that a problem?
Not true, if you re-enter the US within one year you do not require a re-entry permit. However if your trip is greater than one year but less than two years you require a re-entry permit.
You are right. I stand corrected.