ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Some idea please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

minnie77
Newly Registered

Some idea please

Post by minnie77 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 am

Hi,

My husband is dutch and I am chinese. We married in Holland at 2001 and I lived in Holland till 2005. We moved to UK at 1/1/2005.

I got a stamp in my passport state that I got the right to live in UK which it will expiry on 26/04/2010. My husband got a blue residence card which will also expiry on 26/04/2010.

I would like to know when we should apply for the PR. Do we need to do the Life in UK test for PR? Or we only need to do the test if we want to apply for the british passport?

I would like to apply for the British passport, can I apply it just 1 year after I gain the PR? My husband will want to keep his Dutch passport. Will this affect my application?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Mandy

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: Some idea please

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I would like to know when we should apply for the PR. Do we need to do the Life in UK test for PR? Or we only need to do the test if we want to apply for the british passport?
Firstly, has your husband been exercising treaty rights (working, self-employed, studying...) in the UK since January 2005? If so then you both automatically attain PR by 1/1/2010. You can apply to the UKBA for confirmation of this using forms EEA3 and EEA4. Make sure that you both were physically present in the UK 5 years to the day your application reaches the UKBA.
I would like to apply for the British passport, can I apply it just 1 year after I gain the PR?
Under the current rules you can apply for BC having held PR for 1 year. So by 1/1/2011 you should qualify. However this may change due to the proposed changes to the path to BC yet to be properly outlined.
My husband will want to keep his Dutch passport. Will this affect my application?
How do you mean he would want to keep his passport? Do you mean he may not want to relinquish it to the UKBA when your PR application is lodged?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 pm

minnie77 wrote:Do we need to do the Life in UK test for PR?
KOL is not required for Permanent Residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

minnie77
Newly Registered

Re: Some idea please

Post by minnie77 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Firstly, has your husband been exercising treaty rights (working, self-employed, studying...) in the UK since January 2005? If so then you both automatically attain PR by 1/1/2010. You can apply to the UKBA for confirmation of this using forms EEA3 and EEA4. Make sure that you both were physically present in the UK 5 years to the day your application reaches the UKBA.
We both been work since January 2005. And we both lived in UK since January 2005. So I should send in the form just after 1/1/2010.
I would like to apply for the British passport, can I apply it just 1 year after I gain the PR?
Under the current rules you can apply for BC having held PR for 1 year. So by 1/1/2011 you should qualify. However this may change due to the proposed changes to the path to BC yet to be properly outlined.
My husband will want to keep his Dutch passport. Will this affect my application?
How do you mean he would want to keep his passport? Do you mean he may not want to relinquish it to the UKBA when your PR application is lodged?

He will like to keep his Dutch nationality.