ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How will they know that I've been there on a WHV?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

SAFFA girl
Newly Registered

How will they know that I've been there on a WHV?

Post by SAFFA girl » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:30 am

Hi!

I am a 27 year old Industrial Engineer planning to come to the UK (from South Africa) and have just submitted my HSMP application. I was wondering if someone out there would be able to answer the following questions:

1. I have been to the UK as a Working Holiday Maker from April 2001 to July 2002. Since the HSMP application process is taking so long I was thinking of applying for another Working Holiday Visa. I know you can only get one Working Holiday Visa in your lifetime, but I have a new passport.....how will they then know that I've worked there before? Do they have it on a system?

2. I am also not 100% sure that my HSMP application will be approved. I have a Bachelors degree but only 2 years working experience, and 6 months of that working experience was gained in the UK whilst I was there as a Working Holiday Maker. It was a permanent graduate position, but when I was there a WHM was not supposed to do "real" (professional) work. There is also a 8 month gap between that experience and the rest of the work experience I am claiming for (I did caring work and travelled before coming back to SA!). Will all of this make my experience claim invalid?

Thanks guys!

SAFFA girl

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: How will they know that I've been there on a WHV?

Post by Chess » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:18 pm

I have been to the UK as a Working Holiday Maker from April 2001 to July 2002. Since the HSMP application process is taking so long I was thinking of applying for another Working Holiday Visa. I know you can only get one Working Holiday Visa in your lifetime, but I have a new passport.....how will they then know that I've worked there before? Do they have it on a system?
Nice try,

but usually if you apply using a new passport (less than 1 year old), the ECO would request to see your old passport :roll:

Secondly in the VAF, you have to state the last time you were in the UK so the ECO will dig up the reference number and they will be able to tell that you have had a WHV before!!

Last but not least - the only possible way that you could 'beat' the system is by changing names - I am not advocating for you to do this as it will be a disaster down the line when you apply for jobs and the certificates are in diffferent names :roll:

All the best, and I hope Thabo Mbeki is treating you well :)
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:11 pm

I know you can only get one Working Holiday Visa in your lifetime, but I have a new passport.....how will they then know that I've worked there before? Do they have it on a system?
Your details are on file and are cross referenced with any fresh application via your name, DOB, Nationality, previous EC details and the Home Office INDECS system. Don't bother it will cause you more harm than good - the UK is still behind the US in that it allows fraudelent applicants to re-apply - the US bans you from ever trying 8) .
2. I am also not 100% sure that my HSMP application will be approved. I have a Bachelors degree but only 2 years working experience, and 6 months of that working experience was gained in the UK whilst I was there as a Working Holiday Maker. It was a permanent graduate position, but when I was there a WHM was not supposed to do "real" (professional) work. There is also a 8 month gap between that experience and the rest of the work experience I am claiming for (I did caring work and travelled before coming back to SA!). Will all of this make my experience claim invalid?
IMHO the HSMP team will consider relevant work experience under WHM given that the rules for such are now revised allowing full time work in any field. However they will only consider as a minimum 2 years full time work experience - your post is not quite clear as to whether this was before or post your WHM. If it was post the WHM then the WHM period is moot anyway as it doesn't take you to the next score level of 4 years..you got a whole 8 months missing and I dare say caring whilst important will not count as graduate level experience. Without knowing details of your application and the relevant documentation submitted we can only say you have a chance but now 'how good' a chance.

In any case good luck