ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application for Student

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:46 pm

My reply to the post by SAKURA sounds very abrupt and I apologise.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:54 pm

sakura wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:We posted the application back on Tuesday together with the information requested.

Today we received confirmation that the application had been placed in the queue and been given a 68/*** number.

This seems to be confirmation that time spent in Ireland as a student is indeeed counted as qualifying once you prove Irish connections.

Good news!
Sorry but...

If the Irish system is anything like the UK one, being placed in a queue isn't guarantee that your application will be successful. Maybe it just means that the application is valid - i.e. that you filled it in correctly and payment has gone through.

In the UK, you could still wait up to 4 months just to have your application rejected, even after receiving confirmation that your application is being looked at.

So, please don't get your hopes up too high just yet. Also, how long would the Irish naturalisation application take in this case?
Sakura what exactly is your point? The Irish and UK system couldnt be more different.

The citizenship division makes a preliminary assessment of all applications and will tell you if you are ineligible. If they do not tell you this, you can assume that you have met the requirements. Incidentally, applications based on Irish associations do not need to meet any of the conditions as to residence, type of permission etc - read the Irish Nationality and Citizenship laws. The key question is how the minister will apply his 'ministerial discretion' in these types of cases.

pam pam
Newly Registered

Post by pam pam » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Its nice to see this topic. Am in the same shoes as your daughter. This is my 7th year in the country, came in as a minor to join my dad at the age of 16 who came here on a work permit. He applied for Long term Residency(LTR) for me, unfortunately I was declined saying my stay in the country with a stamp 2 does not count towards LTR, only stamp 1 and 4 counts.
Pls, keep us updated on your application. Everything in Ireland is about luck.I pray it goes well for you and your daughter.

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Has your Dad been naturalised yet?

el_nino
Newly Registered

In exact same situation here.

Post by el_nino » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi , I am in the exact same situation as your daughter.
I came to Ireland in 1998 with my mom. She has been naturalised through marriage in 2003, I graduated from DCU in 2007 and worked in a local Irish company since. I am currently on a one year long stamp 4 visa under family re-unifiction, it expires in March 2009. The Immigration officer told me to just go to the GNIB office when my visa expires and that they will renew it for me .

My problem is, I want to study in Japan for the next 2 years , what would happen to my stamp 4 status?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs, and good luck for all those who needs it!

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Take a look at this - it was from some time back in the Parlimentary debates.

Within this picture there are certain particular anomalies. We are told today that a function of politicians is to address anomalies and eradicate them. This was done extremely speedily in the case of Deputy Michael Woods, a former Minister. We were very quick to address that anomaly and I hope we will be just as quick to address this. I will put it theoretically before the House and then outline the particular case.

In order to apply for Irish citizenship, an applicant requires at least 60 months of what is termed “reckonable residenceâ€

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 am

The difference between that scenario and ours is that that situation was based on a student applying for naturalisation solely on the basis of residency in Ireland. Unfortunately this will never be successful as the time spent as a student is not reckonable.
My daughter's application is based on her having Irish connections. She didn't bother to apply until my naturalisation was granted.

el_nino
Newly Registered

Post by el_nino » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi LOST Soul, how did the application process going for your daughter?

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 am

I have heard nothing further since the initial letter giving a 68 number and the usual stuff about your application being queued.

el_nino
Newly Registered

Post by el_nino » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 pm

So your daughter is on a stamp 4 at the moment, correct?
I was told to write a letter to the General Immigration office to put my case forward for them to decide should my time spent here on a stamp 2 visa count towards Naturalisation purpose....

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 pm

No she's still on Stamp 2 student visa.

You have Irish connections and can apply for naturalisation. You need to make all this very clear in your application. They will then waive the need for five years reckonable residency or count the time spent as a student, same result. Please read my earlier messages in this regard. Same forum just start at page 1.

This doesn't entirely solve your problem about moving to Japan but you can leave Ireland while your application is being processed. Make it clear to them that you are only leaving to study and will return permanently.

When you get back after two years your application should be processed and you'll be Irish, problem solved.

el_nino
Newly Registered

Post by el_nino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for the prompt reply once again, Lost Soul!! Just a few more questions if you can provide me some answers or point me to the right direction.

What documents did you include in your application for your daughters naturalization?

Are you certain that I can leave Ireland for a long period (2 years) while they processing my application? Cos I thought one needs to have one year of continuous living in the country while they process your application?

Thanks for all your help! Its good to find someone who is in the same boat as me..I am sure you know for yourself, how confusing this situation is for your daughter and I and the Irish system does not make it easier...

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm

You need to send all the stuff asked for in the application form. Copies of every page of everyone of your passports, Birth certificate, 3 months bank statements etc.
In addition you need to send full copies of your mother's passports from the date of her arrival in Ireland until her naturalisation and a copy of her naturalisation cert and a letter from DCU confirming your dates of attendance.
Send it all in, they may ask for more.
You need to have lived in Ireland for one year prior to your application and four of eight years prior to that. But you are actually applying on the strength of your Irish connections so this can be waived but you have it anyway.
Once they have accepted your application and allocated a 68 number to you, which takes about a week, you can inform them of your intention to study in Japan and provide a contact address.
Processing should then continue in your absence. Alternatively don't tell them you're away, provided you still have a contact address in Ireland.
If they need anything else they'll write and you can sort it out.
Once they accept your application they'll write and tell you and you then have to take the oath. There is no time limit on this as far as I know and you can do it when you come back.

el_nino
Newly Registered

Post by el_nino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks a million, Lost Soul! That is what I will do so!!! Fingers crossed!
best of luck to you and your daughter !!

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:31 am

We received confirmation on Thursday, 16 June 2011 that my daughter's application for naturalisation has been approved.

She applied in January 2009 on the basis of Irish Association following my naturalisation the month before. She was on a Stamp 2 - student visa.

No additional documentation was ever requested.

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 am

My daughter's Certificate of Naturalisation was delivered this morning. She is the last one of our family to be granted naturalisation.

After 10 years its finally all over!

Good luck to everyone else and thanks for the help from many members of this forum.

PIKKA

Post by PIKKA » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 am

Lost Soul wrote:My daughter's Certificate of Naturalisation was delivered this morning. She is the last one of our family to be granted naturalisation.

After 10 years its finally all over!

Good luck to everyone else and thanks for the help from many members of this forum.
CONGRATULATIONS for your daughter, At last after 10 years you are fully free, enjoy your future with your family. GOOD LUCK
PIKKA

Baby Jane
Newly Registered

Post by Baby Jane » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Dont know if anyone can help me with my problem?

I have been living in Irelag nd since 2003. I came here aged 15 and on the basis of a joint parent visa. I was first given a GNIB card when I turned 16 and was given a stamp 2. I have since then graduated from college and finished my masters (all in Ireland).

My father has a stamp 4 and has applied for citizenship in 2009 (pending approval). Last year I extened my visa on the basis of a graduate scheme and my GNIB card and visa are both due to expire at the end of October.

I do not know what to do. How do I go about changing my status? I would even agree to a stamp 3 just so it buys me time and I can figure something out

Any advice would be most welcome as the matter is quite urgent.

Thank you in advance.