ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

time taken to get a job in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

QEF8DD

Post by QEF8DD » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:58 pm

@ghulbhai

we empathize with your situation.you have tried all that you could. but if you could give some more info about yourself, then may be some of us could help -

1) Where are you located in UK.. Need exact location preferably. Also, want to know what was the radius of ur job search i.e. whether u tried some far off location etc.
2) How many friends/colleagues/earlier UK contacts(if any) tried to assist you with your job search ? Were you searching for a job just on ur own ?
3) What has been the strategy behind ur job search ? I feel u might have been doing something wrong or not in a concrete/proper manner which no one pointed out to you just because you never told anyone.. All your posts have been like 'There is nothing in UK', 'Job market is very dull', 'I am going back etc'... I mean not an iota of hope in ur statements... why is this so ? there are others like you.. with more experience, even with UK experience but they are not as vocal.. i think it just might be that you have pondered so hard over negative things that you simply overlook the positiveness around you..
4) Did you try ur hand at some store job so that you are not out of funds or did your ego prevent you from doing so ? In such tough situations, one does need to forget about his/her total experience, last company/salary drawn etc etc.. because it could well be a start from scratch..

tell the forum, start a new post on all of the above.. ur job search strategy, which all places you applied in, how big your network of freinds/colleagues has been etc etc.. I am sure you will get some leads.. but this lecture could be a bit harsh and late for you because you've suffered all these months.. and only you know.. but if you share, someone might be able to help (Not me sorry, I am still in India) Never understimate the power of networking.. it's like parallel processing..May be someone already employed in UK sees ur post and has something to offer you in his/her company or knows someone else who does... just think.. there are numerous possibilities.. whether they are negative or positive depends on ur attitude..

“Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.â€

raghu0307

Post by raghu0307 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:07 am

ghulbhai wrote:raghu,

i have 8+ years dev experience. Have worked as an architect and PM earlier. Have prince 2, PMP certifications. ASP.NET, C#, C++ MFC, SQL Server.

tried companies and consultants. there are plenty of jobs, but fake jobs, when you call them, they say they will go through your cv and wont call back.

i write because 6 months back people didnt warn me of a detiriorating situation. anyway, you are your own judge. if you trust - you take it, or you come in person to the UK to see things yourself.

im not the authority to approve your flight do i ? just a piece of advice to a fellow indian. when did indians trust each other ? :P

Gulbhai,

Some how your last statement doesnt really project the picture of this discussion. Good that you are concerned about fellow indians, but in this forum, majority of them are similar professionals as you are with atleast more than 5 plus years experience and earning handsome salary in their current job. Given that, I do not think anybody will be as immature as to go to UK completely knowing there is ZERO chance of getting a job.

If people have thought they want to go , they will. But what we all want from you is , how exactly have you tried in searching for the job. Is it just online, or did you meet consultants. As our friend below has asked what was ou radius of search, where are you located in UK etc. If you could share these details, it would help many of us.

We all really empathise with your situation and hopefully you should get a job there in UK soon so that you will not have the need of coming back.

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 am

Does any one has some idea about semiconductor firms?Is here anybody from IC designing?

raghu0307

Post by raghu0307 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:09 am

garimasharma wrote:Does any one has some idea about semiconductor firms?Is here anybody from IC designing?
have you tried freescale

ghulbhai

Post by ghulbhai » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Raghu,
I didnt meet consultants in person. But I applied to their websites online. I also applied to jobs directly from jobsite, reed, cwjobs, jobserve and monster.

If you are aware of something that I missed, please share for the benefit of me and other folks lik me. If not for me, atleast it would be useful for others.
I have been open to searching anywhere in England. But have generally focused more in the SouthEast.

Any suggestions you want to give out from your experience.

jack_p

Post by jack_p » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:03 pm

My personal point of view worth 2 pence...

Applying for a project management role with no UK industrial experience is definitely a BIG NO, leave alone the recession, unless there is a striking identity in his/her own profile. In UK & Australia, there are less technical consultants and more managers. For every Project Manager advert that is put in a jobsite, no matter in what industry domain, there are nearly 30-40 applicants. This metrics I provided right here is indeed credbile though I can't disclose the source.

The same applies to many technical areas as well, espescially the conventional skill set like C, C++, C#, .NET, Java, J2EE, SQL, HTML and much more on which every Tom dick & harry is experienced. But having said that, if the area of expertise is a niche skill, say SAP Functionals (other ERPs), BI, EDI/EAI, etc. then the oppurtunities are also relatively less and also the competition is also less.

garimasharma
Newly Registered

Post by garimasharma » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:33 pm

any good news there......anybody got any call??????

varghesejim
India

Post by varghesejim » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:32 am

Hi Ghulbhai,

I am researching the UK market(I am into VC++/MFC) for sometime and myself will be coming in April.I know a good number of people who got job in the past two months.Obviously, it is difficult getting job-but still you will get it.
I have a suggestion, as you are not getting calls itself-have your resume reviewed by someone. A friend of mine faced the same problem as yours and after changing the resume to the "UK format" he started getting calls, and secured a job.And personally, I didn't find any problem in his original resume-but people do expect a specific format.
ghulbhai wrote:Raghu,
I didnt meet consultants in person. But I applied to their websites online. I also applied to jobs directly from jobsite, reed, cwjobs, jobserve and monster.

If you are aware of something that I missed, please share for the benefit of me and other folks lik me. If not for me, atleast it would be useful for others.
I have been open to searching anywhere in England. But have generally focused more in the SouthEast.

Any suggestions you want to give out from your experience.

mnarne
Newly Registered

Post by mnarne » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 am

Please share UK Specific Format of resume, if anyone of our members have that ... it will be helpful to the guys who are on Jobsearch like me :-)

Thanks
Murali

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 pm

well 6 months on - no job yet. have attended 1 telephonic so far.

custodian

Post by custodian » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:52 pm

sashi1979 wrote:well 6 months on - no job yet. have attended 1 telephonic so far.
Nothing personal buddy, but that is a pathetic response rate for you.

I have been in the UK for 8 working days now. Have managed to get one telephonic interview so far and three others in the pipeline.

I am into IT Support, BI, Messaging, Appn/Portal Servers, Pre-sales with 5 years of experience from New Zealand.
If you are experienced and above average and are a go-getter, then there is definitely a job for you. The market is NOT entirely dead. :D

kratosvastik

Post by kratosvastik » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:04 pm

job market is not dead at all

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Is anyone actually taking the time to go down to agencies and meet thier contacts there? :roll:

If you meet someone face to face and have a chat, they're much more likely to remember / like you than if you are just a name of 3 pages of paper to them. :)

custodian

Post by custodian » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Vanadil wrote:Is anyone actually taking the time to go down to agencies and meet thier contacts there? :roll:

If you meet someone face to face and have a chat, they're much more likely to remember / like you than if you are just a name of 3 pages of paper to them. :)
In most of the cases (for me) it is not logistically possible to meet the agents face to face as they're located 25 to 50 miles outside of London and some even in Manchester.

The best you could do after you've had a first contact is hit their inbox with an email every two days... and actively follow-up opportunities.

Well if you can pay them a visit - then nothing like it !