ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partner

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kd
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner

Post by kd » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:22 am

Hi,

I am planning to enter the UK on a work permit, and will be accompanied by my unmarried partner (now fiance).

We lived together in the UK in 2002 but have a tenancy agreement in my name and her bank statements going to the same address. (I was on a work permit and she was on working holiday)

From 2003 - we have both of our names on two 12 month joint leases in Australia for the flats we have been living in.

They explicitly state that tenancy agreements only are not acceptable and we need joint utility bills or other docs (see below) which we don't have (they are in my name only as I pay the bills). I am wondering if the evidence I have of living together in 2 countries is enough proof of our relationship akin to marriage.

I also have airline tickets with both or names on from our holidays.

What do you think?

I have emailed the British High Commission with the above and they suggest I apply, and they will ask for more evidence if required. I really would like to know the likelihood of success before going forward so I can try to get more evidence to save time.

Cheers,
KD.

PROOF REQUIRED:
------

You must be able to show that:
· you are the unmarried partner of a person who is present and settled in the UK or who is on
the same occasion being admitted for settlement
· any previous marriage (or similar relationship) by either partner has permanently broken down
· the parties have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage which has subsisted
for a minimum period of two years (you must provide documentary evidence going back at
least two years to substantiate your claim)
· you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependants can live without recourse
to public funds
· you intend to live together permanently.

Some examples of the type of documentary evidence used to support the relationship follow.
· Children from the relationship, copy of birth certificates
· Joint ownership of property or possessions
· Joint tenancy/lease agreements
· Joint bank accounts, savings, investments, loans or any joint financial commitments
· Joint responsibility for bills, utilities
· Acceptance of relationship (from an official Australian body; e.g. Australian Taxation Office)
· Last Will and Testament
Please note: We do not accept Statutory Declarations from friends/family or other parties and we
would need to see more than one of the above, i.e. joint tenancy agreements going back two years is
not enough on it’s own to prove a relationship akin to marriage, it simply means you have been
sharing accommodation.

t is the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate that a relationship akin to marriage exists and
has subsisted for two years or more.

kd
Newly Registered

Too hard?

Post by kd » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:14 am

No-one know the answer?

I am assuming it will be a case of 'we'll ask you for more documention if required' means that it should be enough documentation.

hopefully! :?

azharali
Newly Registered

Hi simple answer

Post by azharali » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:15 pm

unless you have concrete proof of co habitation it is very unlikely that your partner will get a visa as your dependent. The criteria is fairly strict as you already have seen, and just tanancy agreements and tickets are simply NOT enough. The answer is simple for gods sake lol get married

kd
Newly Registered

Re: Hi simple answer

Post by kd » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:52 am

hmmm. well it is fairly strict but there is obviously some degree of interpretation involved by case workers, no?

Apart from lurid photos I don't see how there is such a thing as 'concrete proof'.

Thanks for you suggestion on what to do with my life, but due to the tight deadlines until the start of the jobs, We'd rather not get a quicky marriage certificate unless there is no other option.
azharali wrote:unless you have concrete proof of co habitation it is very unlikely that your partner will get a visa as your dependent. The criteria is fairly strict as you already have seen, and just tanancy agreements and tickets are simply NOT enough. The answer is simple for gods sake lol get married

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:06 am

why not get a registered marriage, just on paper and then have a proper ceremonial marriage later on. I dont think it is illegal to get married again to your wife is it?

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:40 pm

please can people keep to the topic and it be unlocked.
thankyou.

kd
Newly Registered

Application Successful

Post by kd » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:37 am

An update:

We didn't rush into a marriage as suggested here.

We applied for unmarried partner visa and I'm happy to say it was successful with no questions asked. We both not have entry clearance: me on my work permit, partner as a dependent.

We supplied a statement of relationship, my bills that my partner had paid, photos, and change of address, travel itineraries etc. and joint tenancy for the past 2 years.

It was pretty obvious I think from all the documentation we supplied that we had been living as unmarried partners, despite not having joint accounts or assets.

Hope this helps anyone in our situation in the future.

kd.

chivdog
Newly Registered

Post by chivdog » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm

Hi Kd - I'm not sure you'll read this given that you have probably moved on to more interesting aspects of your life other than stressing about Entry Clearance. But can I ask which form your partner used when applying for the dependant visa? I presume it would have been VAF1 and not VAF2 given that you are not a british citizen, do not have a right to abode etc.

I am on the HSMP programme, and have submitted on VAF1 form for me and my unmarried partner has submitted another VAF1 form as a dependant.

Just seeking some confirmation for peace of mind.

thanks