ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for a Naturalisation as soon as I got theILR/PR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rizcom123
Newly Registered

Can I apply for a Naturalisation as soon as I got theILR/PR?

Post by rizcom123 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi All,

Can I apply for a Naturalisation as soon as I got ILR/PR? Because there is information on UKBA's site regarding this. (unless I didn't search properly).

Do I have to stay for a certain period of time?

Thanks,

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:41 pm

If you are a spouse of a British citizen, then yes.

rizcom123
Newly Registered

Post by rizcom123 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:06 pm

dnicky wrote:If you are a spouse of a British citizen, then yes.

No, I gained the ILR/PR through long residence category. :roll:

Thanks,

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:07 pm

rizcom123 wrote:

Thanks,
In both cases you have to wait a further year, unless married to a BC and had valid visa time before marriage that can be offset against the extra year.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:44 pm

Wanderer wrote:
rizcom123 wrote:

Thanks,
In both cases you have to wait a further year, unless married to a BC and had valid visa time before marriage that can be offset against the extra year.
any idea people who get ILE on the baisis of marriege with BC when they can apply for British citizen.
My friends wife came to the uk she came uk last year she got endorsement Settlement spouse/cp (kol req) after arriveal within a mounth she pased the KOL test and applied straight ILR she got that so when she can apply for biritish citizenship. thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Your friend's wife needs to live 3 years in the UK.

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:48 pm

paulp wrote:Your friend's wife needs to live 3 years in the UK.
thaks paulp but she told me when she granted ILR officer interviewd her, he said now you can apply for naturisation application for BC after 12 mounths that why i was asking i have no idea why he said like that.

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:00 pm

rizcom123 wrote:Can I apply for a Naturalisation as soon as I got ILR/PR? Because there is information on UKBA's site regarding this. (unless I didn't search properly).
How long did the ILR application take? That is, how long in time was it between when the ILR application was made, and when the ILR was granted?

Also, the Long Residence application, was it a 10-year or a 14-year application?
John

rizcom123
Newly Registered

Post by rizcom123 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 pm

John wrote:
rizcom123 wrote:Can I apply for a Naturalisation as soon as I got ILR/PR? Because there is information on UKBA's site regarding this. (unless I didn't search properly).
How long did the ILR application take? That is, how long in time was it between when the ILR application was made, and when the ILR was granted?

Also, the Long Residence application, was it a 10-year or a 14-year application?

10 years of long residence (Student and HSMP within that 10 years).

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:18 pm

And how long did the ILR take to get? That is, time between making the ILR application and it being granted?
John

rizcom123
Newly Registered

Post by rizcom123 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:03 pm

John wrote:And how long did the ILR take to get? That is, time between making the ILR application and it being granted?

Same day service (Premium service) PEO Croydon granted on the same day. Because of my application was very straight forward.

Regards,

John

Post by John » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Gien that you are not married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen you need to have had your ILR for at least one year before making your Naturalisation application.

Also, you are no doubt aware that Citizenship legislation might change, so before actually making your application for Naturalisation, do check that you are still eligible at that point in time.
John

rizcom123
Newly Registered

Post by rizcom123 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:05 pm

John wrote:And how long did the ILR take to get? That is, time between making the ILR application and it being granted?

Sorry John, and I forgot say that I got the ILR only last week 6 days ago, according to your's and everyone else's advise, I got to wait for another year to apply.

John

Post by John » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Yes, that is right, and even that is subject to possible changes in the legislation.
John

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 pm

John wrote:Yes, that is right, and even that is subject to possible changes in the legislation.
John do u think that those who alredy on ILR will effect with the new legislation and IF YES what type of effects.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:38 pm

rizwan_ali wrote:
John wrote:Yes, that is right, and even that is subject to possible changes in the legislation.
John do u think that those who alredy on ILR will effect with the new legislation and IF YES what type of effects.
ILR won't be revoked, as it appears now, but if you don't get to apply for naturalisation before new citizenship rules are introduced, they will apply to you.

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:52 pm

JAJ wrote:
rizwan_ali wrote:
ILR won't be revoked, as it appears now, but if you don't get to apply for naturalisation before new citizenship rules are introduced, they will apply to you.
but how it will work as u said it wont be revoked but for applying need to have resident qualifyed period required. for example married with BC need 3 year if someone got their ILR so it can be revoked after the new dosnt make sense how it will effect.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:03 pm

rizwan, you've now got ILR and it probably won't be taken away from you. But the eligibility for naturalisation will depend on the changes to the legislation, do a search on the forum for what is being proposed, re probationary citizenship. Those who've already got ILR may face similar eligibility criteria.

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:22 pm

paulp wrote:rizwan, you've now got ILR and it probably won't be taken away from you. But the eligibility for naturalisation will depend on the changes to the legislation, do a search on the forum for what is being proposed, re probationary citizenship. Those who've already got ILR may face similar eligibility criteria.
thanks for info yes i went through but still not clear about ILR untill bill come to force i think benifit will effect but it will be very difficult because thousand of people are already in the systme some one have ILR from ages may 10 year ago how they will UNDO the system.

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:21 am

I do not think it is a question of un-doing anyone's ILR, but there is a possible effect upon when the ILR holder may apply for Citizenship.

Do appreciate that the Bill has a long way to go in its passage through Parliament, and there is no guarantee of what will be in the Act when it is enacted.
John

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 pm

John wrote:I do not think it is a question of un-doing anyone's ILR, but there is a possible effect upon when the ILR holder may apply for Citizenship.

Do appreciate that the Bill has a long way to go in its passage through Parliament, and there is no guarantee of what will be in the Act when it is enacted.
hi john thanks for your share of info yes its seems like the current ILR may not effect but still unclear for the eligibility for naturilisation. The chart bill ILR and Permanant Resident in the same box and written at the end (can switch to BC on later dates) so it means in new bill ILR will come after Probationary Citizenship (which is temporary leave) so its means the current ILR holder will not go back to temporary resident.