ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Avoid UK, Its becoming useless to come to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

KpaxM77P
Newly Registered

Avoid UK, Its becoming useless to come to UK

Post by KpaxM77P » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Coming to UK as a migrant is becoming increasingly useless. Many people come here because of the increased pay they are able to grab compared to their native countries. Now the lower income limit for hsmp ia being raised to £20,000. If you are able to get that amount in your native country, then it is quite useless to come here in search of greener pastures. Most of the salary earned here goes as Taxes(One of the highest in the world) and now they are setting up a migrant fund in which the migrants will be told to contribute. That makes the earning here worthless as living here itself is quite expensive. Please look for countries like USA or Australia, which treats migrants with respect and not like a use and throw tissue paper.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Bye then!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:26 pm

This forum is not a place to come on and bad mouth the UK.

See you later and have fun paying for your medical bills, still paying tax and possbily getting shot at ^_^.

Oh you forgot that you need at least a masters degree now too after the 1st April 2009.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 pm

...after the 1st April 2009
Surely an April Fool's day prank?

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:11 pm

KpaxM77P,
If you are unable to secure a position in the UK which pays less than £60k pa
Don't bother, you will be worse off in the UK.
I feel sorry for un-skilled people who beleive that they can make a fortune in the UK and remember £60 K pa is not a fortune thats the min you need to live in London.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Wanderer wrote:Bye then!
:lol:

....and on your way out, be sure to pass your message to all those campers in the woods outside Calais.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Requiring people to have Master's degree is a bit silly.
The correlation between a master's degree and getting a well-paid job is a bit weak.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 pm

and remember £60 K pa is not a fortune thats the min you need to live in London.
I disagree. With earnings of under 30k i'm able to live very comfortably in West London!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Plum70 wrote:
and remember £60 K pa is not a fortune thats the min you need to live in London.
I disagree. With earnings of under 30k i'm able to live very comfortably in West London!
You mean Slough!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Wanderer wrote:

You mean Slough!
:lol:

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Siggi wrote:KpaxM77P,
If you are unable to secure a position in the UK which pays less than £60k pa
Don't bother, you will be worse off in the UK.
I feel sorry for un-skilled people who beleive that they can make a fortune in the UK and remember £60 K pa is not a fortune thats the min you need to live in London.

Lol I live in Waterloo and earn considerably less than that and live very comfortably with bills, car, insurance, travel, food, rent, luxories.

I WISH I earnt £60k xD. I'd have a mortgage! :lol:

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Living well on less than £60k???
If you are single maybe, but it you have a wife and a child you will need every penny of £60k
For those that are wondering yes it really is what I earn and it's still no enough!

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm

And the median full time wage in London is £31,876 Siggi!!

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:08 pm

And your point PP is what???

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 pm

That half the people in London earn less than £31,876.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Yes, pretty much what paulp said, people live according to their means.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:20 pm

I absolutely agree with Kpax.
The UK cannot be compared to Australia in any way. I had lived in the UK for 9 years and every year the quality of living had been deteriorating and everything around was getting worse. Now that the UK is in recession (something that was expected) we are happy that we had left.
I can remember the best time in the UK was around 1997 - 2000 when there were so many jobs around, the pay was comparable with the cost of living and housing. Then everything just went downhill...
I would say the USA is probably worse than the UK in many ways.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 am

You mean Slough!
No dim wit! I mean Turnham Green. :wink:

MAKUSA
BANNED

Freedom of speech

Post by MAKUSA » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:17 am

Whats wrong with you guys on this immigration forum, KpaxM77P should be allowed to share his personal experience with members and visitors alike, if you dont like what he is sayiing, you can disagree but withhold your sarcastic remarks, no need for all these jumping down the guys case, free speech guys, respect that. Well done KpaxM77P

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 am

Many people are frustrated by the fact that UK is very short-sighted when it comes to tinkering with immigration rules. There is no question about a country having the right to close/open doors to new arrivals as economy changes, but screwing over those who are already here and have committed to settling is disrespectful.

Waving goodbye to Wanderer might be possible if we were all nomads who can just pack their tent and move to pastures new. Unfortunately most of us of the 'highly skilled' breed have careers, families, houses and more importantly years of life invested here.

As for other points Kpax raises they are questionable. Efficient taxation can be debated ad nauseum and quality of life is something you should research before coming.

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 am

Taxes are the price we pay for living here and gaining benefit; if this country is not what we bargained for, then we should leave and take our chances elsewhere, end of story. But I can't see that it's appropriate to slag off the UK just because the payoff from our gamble wasn't as high as we might have wanted. No-one guaranteed us anything, and we knew that coming in.

And whilst I will allow that the US has not (as far as I know) implemented retrospective changes to the detriment of migrants, 'respect' is not a word I'd use in connection with their immigration agency's attitude toward migrants in general.

AG

MAKUSA
BANNED

Slagging off

Post by MAKUSA » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 am

gordon wrote:Taxes are the price we pay for living here and gaining benefit; if this country is not what we bargained for, then we should leave and take our chances elsewhere, end of story. But I can't see that it's appropriate to slag off the UK just because the payoff from our gamble wasn't as high as we might have wanted. No-one guaranteed us anything, and we knew that coming in.

And whilst I will allow that the US has not (as far as I know) implemented retrospective changes to the detriment of migrants, 'respect' is not a word I'd use in connection with their immigration agency's attitude toward migrants in general.

AG
Mr Gordon take a chill pill, what do you term slagging off-
"Coming to UK as a migrant is becoming increasingly useless. Many people come here because of the increased pay they are able to grab compared to their native countries. Now the lower income limit for hsmp ia being raised to £20,000. If you are able to get that amount in your native country, then it is quite useless to come here in search of greener pastures. Most of the salary earned here goes as Taxes(One of the highest in the world) and now they are setting up a migrant fund in which the migrants will be told to contribute. That makes the earning here worthless as living here itself is quite expensive. Please look for countries like USA or Australia, which treats migrants with respect and not like a use and throw tissue paper"
That's his own opinion afterall every human is allowed one and some would be immigrants might heed his warnings or might just ignore it. Its called a difference in opinion.
Last edited by MAKUSA on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Siggi wrote:Living well on less than £60k???
If you are single maybe, but it you have a wife and a child you will need every penny of £60k
For those that are wondering yes it really is what I earn and it's still no enough!
Quelle dommage! Well, i'm married (no kids thank God!) and we live very comfortably on less than 60k. We purchase what we need, (occasionally what we want) and do not bother about 'status symbols'.

The dynamics certainly rocket sky-high when little 'uns join the frame.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:03 pm

I live on my own which is worse!!! lol at least if I had my g.f with me my bills would be halved!!!

I currently pay £1300 in bills and out goings alone for a 2 bedroom flat, car and insurance, travel to work Etc: 60K a year equates to £3,447.55 a month.

That leaves me with £2,247.55 a month disposable in come. Now bare in mind that if said G/F was living with me those outgoings would be £800. This leaves me with £2,647.55.

Hmmm I could kit my flat and car out quite nicely for that! :D

Now, alot of professionals that come to the UK on Tier 1 or Tier 2 Visa's normally have a wife or partner and possibly 1 child. (on average) If your trying to tell me that you can't support them on £2000, keeping in mind that all of your rent, bills, and car is paid for, then you are going slightly wrong somewhere.

Even if you increase those outgoings by £500 you still have a hard case to argue.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 pm

We've managed to gross over 120k this year (in the North of England!), Christ knows where it's gone!

We've saved a fair bit but still spent loads!

I do have kids tho (five - eek!) no holidays this year so far, I have a 2002 Alfa Romeo 166 that cost me 1800 quid, rent is 1300 for a very nice five bed house, really nice, very happy here.

We eat out a lot tho - we enjoy it.

I've burnt myself out tho hitting that gross, so I'm considering having an extended break and maybe relocating to Berlin, our dream location, we've both spent time there. Rents are low, pay is reasonable, food is good and the beer is great!

Aren't dreams wonderful, me all pursue them, that's why a lot of migrants are here, me as a Brit am no exception. Last time I was in Berlin I sat on bench on a warm August evening in Pariser Platz near the Brandenburg Gate about midnight, I was never happier, felt safe, no nutters about, still public transport running aplenty, just thinking of the history that's marched through that gate, not much of it to be proud of, but still history.

Pub lunch today, more personal info than I've ever given on line!

Dem Deutschen Volke!