ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Avoid UK, Its becoming useless to come to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 pm

"2002 Alfa Romeo 166 that cost me 1800 quid"

Thats pretty damn good! :D

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Ah, an Alfa.... for a second I thought I was on a different forum. Not exactly a 5 kid car? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgG1wF7OZn4

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 pm

kawasaki1 wrote:Ah, an Alfa.... for a second I thought I was on a different forum. Not exactly a 5 kid car? :)
Shhhh... It's his mistress! :wink:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Vanadil wrote:"2002 Alfa Romeo 166 that cost me 1800 quid"

Thats pretty damn good! :D
Twin Spark, all extras, built in satnav - don't start me - I've had loads of Alfa and only one bad one...

But I live and work in Leeds, put 40 quid of juice in it over a month ago....

But it's Proteo-red and I get an erection every time I look at it, I need a seriously well qualified Doc-cum-motor mechanic!

Or a bucket of cold water!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 pm

I have a 2006 Ford Fiesta .... I love it to bits!!! but a 1.25l Engine does get a bit boring sometimes.... :(

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Perhaps all this car-talk can be moved elsewhere?
Like a non-immigration thread?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Vanadil wrote:I have a 2006 Ford Fiesta .... I love it to bits!!! but a 1.25l Engine does get a bit boring sometimes.... :(
In that case you must be a girl!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Siggi wrote:Living well on less than £60k???
If you are single maybe, but it you have a wife and a child you will need every penny of £60k
For those that are wondering yes it really is what I earn and it's still no enough!

Well the DWP would love you!! :lol:

"I can't take any job under 60k as it's not enough to live well on..." :evil:
Oh, the drama...!

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Well, we live on AU$200000 a year, which is around GBP90000. After 1.5 since moving from the UK, we have three houses, although single storey ones, but all detached (all houses here except some townhouses in big towns are detached and not like those in the UK similar to the army's barracks) in good areas, two for investment, one self-occupied, we have two almost new cars plus we have several investments into different funds, which are all negatively geared and paid from our pre-tax earnings. The tax amount we pay per year after all the deductible payments is around AU$18000. We have several thousands per month cash left, which we can use for holidays or anything else.
In the UK we lived on around GBP 40000 working in our occupation and working like donkeys, our heads off, having no time for anything else, on which we could not afford to buy even a one house in poor area. Furthermore, the taxman in the UK never ever credited to us any taxes we had paid to them after over 9 years living there. Furthermore, after fighting the corrupt UK immigration system for years and eventually overcoming it and getting justice we could not get any child benefit or tax credits until our last year there. I just wonder what can possibly draw people to migrate to the UK and then struggle like this all their lives despite having the qualifications and professions on demand there?! And what are they doing with all the money from horrific amount of taxes people pay there? How could one possibly believe that by migrating to the UK they achieve better quality of life than in the third world countries? And all those living conditions there - traffic, pollution, ovecrowding, extreme hard working, penny pinching, horrendous bills, council taxes, etc... It was just like a horror story.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 am

Jeff Albright wrote:Well, we live on AU$200000 a year, which is around GBP90000. After 1.5 since moving from the UK, we have three houses, although single storey ones, but all detached (all houses here except some townhouses in big towns are detached and not like those in the UK similar to the army's barracks) in good areas, two for investment, one self-occupied, we have two almost new cars plus we have several investments into different funds, which are all negatively geared and paid from our pre-tax earnings. The tax amount we pay per year after all the deductible payments is around AU$18000. We have several thousands per month cash left, which we can use for holidays or anything else.
In the UK we lived on around GBP 40000 working in our occupation and working like donkeys, our heads off, having no time for anything else, on which we could not afford to buy even a one house in poor area. Furthermore, the taxman in the UK never ever credited to us any taxes we had paid to them after over 9 years living there. Furthermore, after fighting the corrupt UK immigration system for years and eventually overcoming it and getting justice we could not get any child benefit or tax credits until our last year there. I just wonder what can possibly draw people to migrate to the UK and then struggle like this all their lives despite having the qualifications and professions on demand there?! And what are they doing with all the money from horrific amount of taxes people pay there? How could one possibly believe that by migrating to the UK they achieve better quality of life than in the third world countries? And all those living conditions there - traffic, pollution, ovecrowding, extreme hard working, penny pinching, horrendous bills, council taxes, etc... It was just like a horror story.

Why did you come here? You had 3 houses, Sunshine, and more money? I'm confused :?

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:42 am

He clearly used past tense for UK. :roll: Morning coffee not kicking in?

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:55 am

I'm on the fruit teas and lucozade... It's not the same!!!!!! :cry:

Markie

Post by Markie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 pm

there's always light at the end of the tunnel...how long long the tunnel is? who knows. It's always a case to case basis. No wonder so many Brits are heading down under!
Jeff Albright wrote:Well, we live on AU$200000 a year, which is around GBP90000. After 1.5 since moving from the UK, we have three houses, although single storey ones, but all detached (all houses here except some townhouses in big towns are detached and not like those in the UK similar to the army's barracks) in good areas, two for investment, one self-occupied, we have two almost new cars plus we have several investments into different funds, which are all negatively geared and paid from our pre-tax earnings. The tax amount we pay per year after all the deductible payments is around AU$18000. We have several thousands per month cash left, which we can use for holidays or anything else.

ben_scaro

Post by ben_scaro » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm an Australian who's made his home in the UK and I do feel duty bound to point out that Australia was the country that implemented 'the Pacific Solution' in relation to at least a certain class of migrants . . . and a number of other rather nasty policies which are not so well known, including managing to intern even a few of its own citizens in the process!

So glibly pointing it as some kind of Nirvana for immigration; well, it's just not that simple.

And it has fairly high rates of tax, even by UK standards.

Further, Australia is suffering economically just as the rest of the world is.

It is largely a resource economy and these days, people are buying far less of the 'seeds and rocks' that we supply to the world.

Ben

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 pm

ben_scaro wrote:I'm an Australian who's made his home in the UK and I do feel duty bound to point out that Australia was the country that implemented 'the Pacific Solution' in relation to at least a certain class of migrants . . . and a number of other rather nasty policies which are not so well known, including managing to intern even a few of its own citizens in the process!
You are right to some extent. But look at the UK - the Governement thieves there have deprived the population out of everything! I have noticed here that many Australians would like to go to Europe, live and work but this is mainly because of getting new experience away from home but as soon as they realise (after living in Europe for a while) how it is there, they return. But clearly despite some negatives in Australia, such as extremely poor and backward banking system, poor service standards, pedantic system, no free healthcare, the overall quality of living in Australia is a lot lot better than in Europe. You can achieve so much here and improve your quality of life dramatically compared to Europe.
This also depends on occupation, of course. Some occupations will never give you a comparable living standard like in Europe. But if you know where to start and how to move on, you are bound to build yourself a much much better life here.
So glibly pointing it as some kind of Nirvana for immigration; well, it's just not that simple.
That is quite true, mate :) and the key point in this discussion!
And it has fairly high rates of tax, even by UK standards.
Yes if you do not do anything about it and if you do not know or do not want to learn how to reduce your tax in a legal way. In the UK your hands are tied, no matter what you do, you just pay taxes and all your money will go down the drain. Australia has one of the best taxation systems in the world. For instance, on our earnings we pay 14% of tax instead of almost 40% that corresponds to our income. My wife pays no tax at all. This is because we knew what to do in order to minimise our tax in a fully legal way.
Further, Australia is suffering economically just as the rest of the world is.
Everyone is experiencing some form of suffering in this situation but Australia is currently one of the best places to be in this regard. Look at these immense cash reserves here that Government had accummulated. Also, the richness in natural resources, commodities, better planning, better Government system will never reduce this country to the same level as the rest of the world. In fact, the economic problems so far only disadvantaged the mining sector but none of the other industry has suffered at all, as opposed to the UK, which is in recession now, which was meant to happen anyway.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:48 am

As I see it, the problem in the UK seems to be this bias towards allowing EU citizens free access to the country, while qualified people from other parts of the world have to jump so many hurdles to stay here. While the govt insists on very high skills etc for non-EU citizens, EU citizens with minimal skills can just walk in. As a result, this is displacing jobs for vast majority of Brits - who generally are lower skilled.

And guess what, the small number of highly skilled immigrants now have to support the large number of Brits going on the dole. So they are now going to charge these immigrants even more; now there's even talk of an immigrants' fund.

All this is a sure recipe for disaster in the long run.

And the govt regularly tries to tighten the screws on the non-EU highly skilled immigrants. Perhaps this shows them in a positive light infront of the public?

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 am

global gypsy wrote:As I see it, the problem in the UK seems to be this bias towards allowing EU citizens free access to the country, while qualified people from other parts of the world have to jump so many hurdles to stay here. While the govt insists on very high skills etc for non-EU citizens, EU citizens with minimal skills can just walk in. As a result, this is displacing jobs for vast majority of Brits - who generally are lower skilled.

And guess what, the small number of highly skilled immigrants now have to support the large number of Brits going on the dole. So they are now going to charge these immigrants even more; now there's even talk of an immigrants' fund.

All this is a sure recipe for disaster in the long run.

And the govt regularly tries to tighten the screws on the non-EU highly skilled immigrants. Perhaps this shows them in a positive light infront of the public?

This is matched by all other EU countries though and Brits have just as many rights to travel over there and work, which I personally think is great as it offers alot of freedom through the whole of the EU, and in theory a stronger and more dynamic economy.

If Britan was standing independant of the EU then there would most likely still be preference for european educated and experienced workers over some of the lesser devloped countries and so in theory there would be ven less space for those outside of the EEA comming to the UK.

At the end of the day its swings and roundabouts and no-matter how much we type in this fourm, Jackie or whoeveres next will always make up the rules and we will have to follow. :roll:

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 am

GG you are absolutely right UK has targeted the wrong group of people.
By enlarge people arriving in the UK from non EU country are highly skilled and compete in a global market, where ever they are in demand.
It is also fair to say that this group of people are a relatively small group, who generally go un noticed within groups they move in.

This is unlike the vast group of semi or unskill masses that arrive, either as aslyum seekers, students(or pretend students) and un skilled EU nationals.
This is the group that Brits see as stealing there jobs and feel most threatend by. However as we are part of the EU we will never be able to restrict EU nationals, short or leaving the EU.

The new Immigration law or points based system will hopefully weed out the bogus aslyum seekers and bogus students in the future.

1963British

The UK is great

Post by 1963British » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:37 am

I moved my family from the USA to the UK (South Yorkshire) and have no regrets, none.

I support my wife and children on 30,000 a year paying far less tax (and health care cost) than I ever did in the United States.

Compared to the IRS, HMRC is staffed with intelligent and caring individuals who actually understand the tax code. The tax code in the UK, by comparison is simple and easy to understand.

Utilities are cheaper, food is cheaper, housing is cheaper. The ability to save for retirement via pension schemes is superior. The ability to grow your invetsments with capital gains exclusions is superior.

Crime? I say what crime!! By comparison, the UK is crime free.

In regards to health care, I remain in shock that I can go to a GP without MasterCard, Visa, Diners Club or American Express.

Petrol, yes it is more expensive but the cars get two to three times the mileage!

I do have one complaint, the weather is crap.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:06 am

I cannot believe someone would be happy living on £30000 year plus support the family and children plus find something to put aside into retirement plus even find money for investment... absolutely beyond me. Yes you will probably have to eat cheap, very cheap food but will it be good for your and your family health?
Housing is cheaper?! :shock: maybe now - I don't know but the quality of that housing is a disgrace, plus crowds and traffic is a nightmare.

whirly

Post by whirly » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:26 am

Jeff Albright: My in-laws live in West Yorkshire. They have both always worked part-time, yet they have paid off their mortgage, own a car, raised 2 kids, travel abroad several times a year, and are just now easing into their retirement without much worry about their pensions or the future. They're frugal and well-organised but their quality of life has not suffered. They're quite healthy and eat decent food (father-in-law is vegetarian - talk about a challenge in Yorkshire!) For them, a 6-digit income, or even a high 5-digit income, is more than anyone would ever need.

But I do agree with the original spirit of this thread. It's getting harder to live here in many respects. I'm not quite ready to pack up and move to Australia yet, but I can see the appeal.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Jeff Albright wrote:I cannot believe someone would be happy living on £30000 year ...
I know several people here in London who live on salaries in this range, and as far as I can see they look in good health and happy.
Eating out at fancy restaurants doesn't necessarily mean good nutrition. (In fact, some would argue the exact opposite.) One can buy good quality veggies etc and cook at home and live quite healthily.
It's called intelligent living.

edro

Re: The UK is great

Post by edro » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:20 pm

[quote="1963British"]I moved my family from the USA to the UK (South Yorkshire) and have no regrets, none.

I support my wife and children on 30,000 a year paying far less tax (and health care cost) than I ever did in the United States.

Compared to the IRS, HMRC is staffed with intelligent and caring individuals who actually understand the tax code. The tax code in the UK, by comparison is simple and easy to understand.

Utilities are cheaper, food is cheaper, housing is cheaper. The ability to save for retirement via pension schemes is superior. The ability to grow your invetsments with capital gains exclusions is superior.

Crime? I say what crime!! By comparison, the UK is crime free.

In regards to health care, I remain in shock that I can go to a GP without MasterCard, Visa, Diners Club or American Express.

Petrol, yes it is more expensive but the cars get two to three times the mileage!

I do have one complaint, the weather is crap.[/quote]

that was a cool one :)

calai

Post by calai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Many immigrants who are not EEA national may say this is not fair and UK just let their door open to their own citizens and those from EEA.

This is true but the reality is worse.
The UK has even closed the door for all British nationals other than British citizens, so those who were born British without getting their rights as British citizen would have to prove themselves same as any immigrant in most cases :evil:

RippedOff
Newly Registered

Post by RippedOff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:43 am

Well I came to the UK as an international student(UK born but not a citizen, go figure). I think when I came here I had stars in my eyes and I thought the UK was the ultimate place to be but sadly 5 years down the line I think the stars are most definitely gone - I feel like I have been pouring money down the drain. I actually thought I could live/work here and get British Citizenship - but I have now discovered that my British birth certificate means nothing. Stay here for another five sorry six years? Never.

The taxes paid here are unbelievable, council tax, rent, water, electricty and gas bills, Tv license, transportation(which has recently gone up) and by the time I deduct all that from my salary(modest but whatever) I have nothing left! Increasingly I feel this anti-foreigner/immigrant vibe in the UK and it angers me so much because ignorant people think we are a "drain" on the economy, and lump international students/work permit holders with asylum seekers that claim benefits. I want to scream all the time, "We don't claim your bloody benefits!" but honestly I'm exhausted.

Yes the UK belongs to the British. What is classified as British these days? I read an article recently in the Daily Mail(that good old chestnut) where the actual number of immigrants in th UK cannot be known, because first and second generation immigrants are registering their children as British? All the hullaballoo about one in nine people in the UK is born abroad (convieniently forgetting to add that these figures include british nationals amongst other things) helping to whip up the anti-immigrant sentiment.

You forget, when it becomes unecessarily hard to live in the UK, immigrants will simply emigrate. I am simply biding my time here, building up my CV and going home to make my country better for the next generation coming after me, so they will have no need to leave their home country to achieve a better education. This is what immigrants should be thinking about, rather than finding another country that could spit you out at any time. What of your country?

I will always have a love for the UK(after all I was born here) and have been coming here for a long time. But I love my country more. Looking forward to going back to beautiful weather, warm people and houses that don't have cubicles as rooms :D my biggest gripe!