ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

temporary summer worker from US

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bva
Newly Registered

temporary summer worker from US

Post by bva » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:09 am

I have been offered a job teaching English in London for the summer, however the company told me I must arrange my own visa. It seems that I don't fit under any of the temporary worker categories. Is the company implying that I must qualify under Tier 1 (which I do not)? It seems there should be a category for temporary summer workers such as myself who have an offer of employment. Thanks for any help.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:24 pm

If there isn't a category that you fit into, then you cannot do it. Don't even consider working on a tourist visa, unless you want a ban from the UK in the future and possibly worse.

See here:

Temporary workers

A lot of schemes that had developed over the years have now closed or have been merged into the points based system.

bva
Newly Registered

Post by bva » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:48 pm

ok, thanks very much for the info

The Station Agent

You will probably have to fit tier 2

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Looks like you'd need to fit into tier 2 and the employer would have to register as a sponsor. They'd have to advertise the job unless it was a shortage occupation (which it isn't - because teaching English is not exactly a shortage occupation in Britain).

jei2
Member of Standing

Re: You will probably have to fit tier 2

Post by jei2 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:48 pm

The Station Agent wrote:Looks like you'd need to fit into tier 2 and the employer would have to register as a sponsor. They'd have to advertise the job unless it was a shortage occupation (which it isn't - because teaching English is not exactly a shortage occupation in Britain).

Yes but we're not very good at American English.

In fact, we suck! :lol:
Oh, the drama...!