ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dearly beloved

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lakeside1234
Newly Registered

dearly beloved

Post by lakeside1234 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:59 pm

I hear all this talk about EUROPEAN immigration being dearly beloved and all that..while I understand this fact but it is not restricted here alone.
Europe is Institutionally dearly beloved..while a lot of non eu (along with their Eu spouses) are happy with the freedom of movement directives which helps us stay together...BUT..those non eu spouses being forced to have recidence permits in EU countries cannot even work in the EU office in Brussels themselves until they are citizens which could take 8 years in a country like Ireland or 6 years in the UK...thats double standards.
I always applauded the EU commission until I found out that my friend who is American and has a PHd from oxford (irrelevant for employment purposes) and married to his Irish wife for over 6 years and legally resident in the Eu for 4 years cannot apply or work in the European commission until he gets a EU passport...he was told on application that he was ineligible because he was non -eu,he expalined he has been resident in the EU and married to a EU citizen for over 6 years.I have since been researching on the EU institutions and have out not a single black,asian or any other ethnic minorities are negligibly represented .SHAME :(

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: dearly beloved

Post by 86ti » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 am

lakeside1234 wrote:recidence permits in EU countries cannot even work in the EU office in Brussels themselves until they are citizens(
Basing eligibility for public offices on citizenship is not dearly beloved in itself. Only if citizenship would be selective based on the background of the applicant you can insinuate beloved.

Please tell me, which country/ies on this planet do allow a non-citizen to take up a position in goverment?

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Well, some of the Asian countries are far more dearly beloved.
And blatantly so too.

charles4u
Member of Standing

Post by charles4u » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:01 pm

global gypsy wrote:Well, some of the Asian countries are far more dearly beloved.
And blatantly so too.
They are the worst...infact I pray nothing should take me or my generation to Asia.
Charles4u

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:12 pm

What do we mean by 'Asia'? South, SE, East or Central Asia? Just curious...

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Please tell me, which country/ies on this planet do allow a non-citizen to take up a position in goverment?
Er... The UK. In the UK Irish citizens are able to stand for parliament.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:39 pm

PaperPusher wrote:
Thank you. I understand that from the historical context. Still I would think that's more of an exception. Where else?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:27 pm

PaperPusher wrote:
Not only Irish citizens. ALL Commonwealth citizens are eligible to hold public office in the UK. These non-citizens can also vote in all elections.

Similarly, if you wish to hold a Federal job in the US you are required to be a US citizen.

AxeZ

Post by AxeZ » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:31 pm

Heck, I can become US citizen but cannot be the president....ever.

calai

Re: dearly beloved

Post by calai » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 pm

[quote="lakeside1234"]I hear all this talk about EUROPEAN immigration being dearly beloved and all that..while I understand this fact but it is not restricted here alone.
Europe is Institutionally dearly beloved..while a lot of non eu (along with their Eu spouses) are happy with the freedom of movement directives which helps us stay together...BUT..those non eu spouses being forced to have recidence permits in EU countries cannot even work in the EU office in Brussels themselves until they are citizens which could take 8 years in a country like Ireland or 6 years in the UK...thats double standards.
I always applauded the EU commission until I found out that my friend who is American and has a PHd from oxford (irrelevant for employment purposes) and married to his Irish wife for over 6 years and legally resident in the Eu for 4 years cannot apply or work in the European commission until he gets a EU passport...he was told on application that he was ineligible because he was non -eu,he expalined he has been resident in the EU and married to a EU citizen for over 6 years.I have since been researching on the EU institutions and have out not a single black,asian or any other ethnic minorities are negligibly represented .SHAME :([/quote]

Agree with you. UK govt is dearly beloved. This is not just about non EEA nationals. There are currently about 4 to 5 million British nationals who are denied full British citizenship and rights to enter and reside in their own country. Most of these people are Asians and Africans. This explains why UK has signed the ECHR Protocol 4 in 1963 but has not yet racified the protocol which guarantee every national to have a right to enter his own country and not to be deported.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:29 pm

And after 46 years it's not likely to be either.