ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GOT TIER 1 -- WHATS NEXT???

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

harneet691

GOT TIER 1 -- WHATS NEXT???

Post by harneet691 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi all

I got my Tier 1 visa recently.

I request senior members to please advice me if there something concrete i need to know on following aspects :

1) Any Medical tests to be done before i land in UK.
2) Driving Liscence Conversion to International
3) Cheaper accomodation (manchestor)

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Please find the answers below:

Possible chest X-Ray.

2) Driving Liscence Conversion to International.

Usually your Indian licence in is valid in UK for 12 months after your first Landing. But my recommendation is if you get international license from india before hand would be better (international license is also valid for 1 year). decision is yours.

3) Cheaper accomodation (manchester)

Try checking with your friends in UK as its difficult to find short term lease and you dont know where you will be able to get the Job.. you need to be flexible for Job initially.. you can visit www.rightmove.co.uk for initial reference.. or seach google for "student accomodation" in the area of your choice...
Last edited by nksg on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: GOT TIER 1 -- WHATS NEXT???

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:21 pm

harneet691 wrote:I got my Tier 1 visa recently.
Congrats Harneet...
It would be good and save you alot of time if you can get your TB Test and report handy while you land at UK airport immigrations
2) Driving Liscence Conversion to International
Very useful, to have international driving license which will be valid for 1yr from the date of ur arrival in UK

ckshekar14

Post by ckshekar14 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:37 am

Thank you guys for your answers on this.

Even i had the same questions. I have got my visa stamped & planing to start in first week of april.

Anything u guys want to advise us, please give it.

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:17 am

Dear All,

We are also planning to immigrate to UK in few weeks( we have the realvent -Tier 1( Gen) Visa

I wish to know, what are the initial documents/ procedures we need to avail/follow from gov of UK once we land in the country?

Like for example tax card etc. Any idea . Pls let me know...
:)

and the med test done here valid in UK? Or they may ask us to re-do it in their labs. Or any med labs here in India with in tie up with UK?

Regards
dima

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:20 am

[quote="ckshekar14"]Thank you guys for your answers on this.

Even i had the same questions. I have got my visa stamped & planing to start in first week of april.

Anything u guys want to advise us, please give it.[/quote]

I am moving to UK in last week of March ( before 1st april) , there may be possible chance of rules changes as we all know!!... just being careful... :D

ashwin_srao
Newly Registered

Post by ashwin_srao » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:26 am

Hello Dima,
Can you expalin What do you mean by "may be possible chance of rules changes" ? I ask this because from all sources I know this forum, BHC, friends you can travel to UK as long as your visa is valid.

Thanks

dima
Member of Standing

Initial Entry to th UK

Post by dima » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:45 am

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me , as I a travelling in the first week of april on Tier1 visa.

What are the docs we need to avail from the gov Uk once we land in the country?
Ex: Tax card etc.

1. Do we nrrd to do any med test from India and do we have any authorised Med labs here for UK?
2. DL ( internaltional) valid in UK?

Senior members, PLS suggest what are the necessary things to do before/ after our initial entry to the UK

Regards,
dima

ssvgopal

Post by ssvgopal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Dima,

The list.
1. Get your pneumonia test done(general only) at any lab, and that is sufficient to pass medical at port of entry in UK.
2. Regarding Licence, if you can get international licence just before you start, you can use it here for 1 year(from the day you land here).
3. main issue after you land is opening up a bank account. I've used HSBC passport account(pay 6 pounds monthly for 12 months). This is the easiest of the lot, but even this, I had to visit the branch 4-5 times to get my documents approved. Note, I had applied online from India 2 months before I started for UK. Please look around for alternatives, as it can save your time once you are in UK. If already have HSBC account in India, it will speed up the process. Get your IT returns(for all years), employer documents, PAN card, which help with your Bank A/c opening process.
4. Keep your original documents(with you only) while travelling, as I had faced the hassle of missing my luggage with all originals. Got them back after a harrowing 2 days wait, thanks for KLM mismanagement.
5. Ask your friend to get you a prepaid mobile SIM, for you to start applying for jobs from India itself. This will help highlight your CV with the consultancies.
6. Lookup accomodations(if not already booked) at rightmove.co.uk. Better to share until a suitable job is found. Watch out for some places which are not Indian friendly.
7. Once in UK, taxis are costly. So get a bus pass or train pass for whichever zones(in London), or areas you plan to travel. For eg., Network Rail card helps save on regular travel in some areas of UK.

These are the important ones I could think of.

Cheers,
Sai

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:43 pm

ssvgopal wrote:Hi Dima,

The list.
1. Get your pneumonia test done(general only) at any lab, and that is sufficient to pass medical at port of entry in UK.
2. Regarding Licence, if you can get international licence just before you start, you can use it here for 1 year(from the day you land here).
3. main issue after you land is opening up a bank account. I've used HSBC passport account(pay 6 pounds monthly for 12 months). This is the easiest of the lot, but even this, I had to visit the branch 4-5 times to get my documents approved. Note, I had applied online from India 2 months before I started for UK. Please look around for alternatives, as it can save your time once you are in UK. If already have HSBC account in India, it will speed up the process. Get your IT returns(for all years), employer documents, PAN card, which help with your Bank A/c opening process.
4. Keep your original documents(with you only) while travelling, as I had faced the hassle of missing my luggage with all originals. Got them back after a harrowing 2 days wait, thanks for KLM mismanagement.
5. Ask your friend to get you a prepaid mobile SIM, for you to start applying for jobs from India itself. This will help highlight your CV with the consultancies.
6. Lookup accomodations(if not already booked) at rightmove.co.uk. Better to share until a suitable job is found. Watch out for some places which are not Indian friendly.
7. Once in UK, taxis are costly. So get a bus pass or train pass for whichever zones(in London), or areas you plan to travel. For eg., Network Rail card helps save on regular travel in some areas of UK.

These are the important ones I could think of.

Cheers,
Sai

Sai.. Thanks a lot... it is certainy of help for me... :D

push

Post by push » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Ask for a chest x-ray+report (for Tuberculosis screening) and carry the report in your handbag as you would need it to get past immigration control (you would not have picked up your checked in luggage at that point) - it will save you a couple ofhours.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:12 am

push_hsmp wrote:Ask for a chest x-ray+report (for Tuberculosis screening) and carry the report in your handbag as you would need it to get past immigration control (you would not have picked up your checked in luggage at that point) - it will save you a couple ofhours.
Tx dude...for the info...

If we miss doing it from India.. do we have to get theXrays done at the London airport? if so, do they charge for it? :roll: just curious to know...
anyhow, as advised by you. we are getting it done from India. :D

sunny_hsmp001

Post by sunny_hsmp001 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 am

No they so not charge for it.Its free of cost :D

Only problem is that they might waste an hour of yours.

Now the question for push_hsmp

Whats next after arriving in UK apart from opening an account/getting a SIM card

Any registration needs to be done with any authorities etc. ?

Please advise

thanks

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell how to convert valid Indian DL to International DL?

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:42 am

dima wrote:Hi,

Can anyone tell how to convert valid Indian DL to International DL?
Just visit your local RTO office for the same... There used to be fees of Rs 2500 6 years back.. not sure whats the procedure now..

harneet691

Time taken to convert local DL to international

Post by harneet691 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:53 pm

hi

1) Does any1 know how much time local authority takes to convert normal DL to international.

2) Is their any provision for higher validity??

3) If no,, After 1 year of usage abroad... do we hav to again go thru tests n get our new DL... or is it renewed without tests??