ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Due to apply for extension (Tier 1), passport to expire soon

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CullenD
Newly Registered

Due to apply for extension (Tier 1), passport to expire soon

Post by CullenD » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am

Hello all,

I think I already know the answer to this one, but just wanted to check as I know Home Office can be fussy about things like this:

I am in the UK under HSMP and due to apply for extension (Tier 1) as my initial 2 years is finishing soon - 1st June 2009.

My passport is due to expire in March 2010. As it now has less than a year to go and to travel to some countries you need a valid passport for 6 months left on it, I thought I might renew my passport THEN apply for extension of VISA.

Just want to check - the home office is perfectly ok for me to send in a:

New passport with no HSMP visa in it

AND

along with my previous passport (that will have been superseaded and have the cut they put in the corner) with current HSMP visa

Thanks all
Dave

LankanFunkin

Re: Due to apply for extension (Tier 1), passport to expire

Post by LankanFunkin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:31 am

CullenD wrote: Just want to check - the home office is perfectly ok for me to send in a:

New passport with no HSMP visa in it

AND

along with my previous passport (that will have been superseaded and have the cut they put in the corner) with current HSMP visa
Should be fine. I did the same thing (extension pending), but my lawyer said that is perfectly acceptable.

Good luck.

CullenD
Newly Registered

Post by CullenD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 am

Nice one.

Due to the fact its getting closer for me to apply for visa, I have decided to do a change of plans and scrap the idea of renewing passport before extension application. So I have one simple question for the crew out there:

With my HSMP visa expiring on the 1st June 2009 and Passport expiring 16th March 2010 - does my current passport have enough time left on it (in the eyes of the Home Office) if I use that when submitting my visa extension application, rather than renewing my passport before sending in?

So passport would have around 9+ months left on it around time of application - is this enough? (also my current passport doesnt have that biometric chip in it, I assume that wouldnt be a problem?)

Thanks all,
Dave

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Dave,

If I were in your shoes, and assuming you have an easy case for extension, I'd get a new passport first. I say this as if you easily meet all the extension criteria, there really isnt anything stopping the visa officer from giving you the maximum possible visa extension if your passport is valid for 10 years. The only precaution you will have to take though, is to be meticulous with all the pieces of evidence submitted, as most likely you will be submitting the Tier 1 application within a few weeks of expiry.

Just my POV

CullenD
Newly Registered

Post by CullenD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for your advice LankanFunkin - you have convinced me stick with my original idea and renew my passport 1st :)

Anyone else out there think the same?

bani

Post by bani » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 pm

CullenD wrote:Thanks for your advice LankanFunkin - you have convinced me stick with my original idea and renew my passport 1st :)

Anyone else out there think the same?
I think the same as well. You have enough time to get the passport renewed, right? I think the HO will give you the extension either way. But in the long run (when you are on your new passport), it will be so much easier having your visa on it than on a previous, expired passport.

jhp

Post by jhp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:29 pm

My partner extended his hsmp/tier 1 lastyear with around 8 months left on his passport.