ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Husband, Australian Wife, moving to France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wakers
Newly Registered

British Husband, Australian Wife, moving to France

Post by wakers » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:37 am

My wife is Australian and I am British. We work on superyachts and have been travelling the world, living on board. My wife is now pregnant and we plan to settle down in South of Fance, so that I can continue to work on yachts.

How do we go about getting a work permit for my wife? We have yet to investigate the possibilites of getting a British passport for her, but do not plan to live in the UK anyway.

Comments most welcome!!!

cricket
Newly Registered

similar situation, more info please!

Post by cricket » Sat May 01, 2004 1:50 pm

We have a similar situation - I have a British passport, my husband has a Canadian one.

My question is: why do we need to go to the prefecture? I thought, as of Jan 1st, the carte de séjour was no longer required for EU citizens living in France. Wouldn't that apply to their spouses as well?

Thanks for your help!

marka
Newly Registered

Post by marka » Thu May 06, 2004 11:07 am

I can't speak for the french situation, but in the UK an EU national does not need any paperwork from the home office to live here and take up employment etc. The spouse of an EU national does need a residence permit though that the Home Office will issue.
Without this permit the non-EU spouse could not take up work (they would not be in possesion of any documentation that allows work in the UK). Also immigration officers would continue to treat the non-EU spouse as a tourist and eventually would notice the non-EU spouse seems to have broken the terms of their tourist visa (90 days I think for Schenegen, 180 for UK) and detain them at the border leading to further unplesantness.

Again not sure how it works for France, but I would have thought your spouses non-EU passport needs some annotation from the local authorities to show he is legally resident and not just a tourist.

marka