ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british baby

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hsmp2010

british baby

Post by hsmp2010 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:07 pm

baby born in UK in 2008, while british father and non british mother, not married. is baby british, if so can directly apply to passport or naturalization is required?

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Where the parents of a British Born child have never been married to each other, citizenship can only be derived from the mother... in your case, since the mother is non-British, the baby is not British.

When the mother acquires ILR, the baby can be registered as a citizen.

Cheers.

hsmp2010

british baby

Post by hsmp2010 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:42 am

its in british rules that child born after 1 july 2006 can be british if only father is british and both r not married. i am not suspecting abt her citizenship but asking all senior members that whether naturalization is first necessary

lancoalase

Re: british baby

Post by lancoalase » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:14 am

hsmp2010 wrote:baby born in UK in 2008, while british father and non british mother, not married. is baby british, if so can directly apply to passport or naturalization is required?
Yes, the baby is british and can apply for british passport but the name of the father has to be on the baby birth certificate. This is automatic qualification starting from 2006.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:19 am

Naturalisation is not required. the child is British by birth as s/he was born in the UK after 1 July 2006 to a British father. The Secretary of State must be satisfied that you are the father, the easiest way is if you are on the birth ceritificate i fnot you can take a paternity test. If you can show you are the father you can just apply for a passport for the child.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:41 am

Correct that baby is automatically British as long as there is evidence of paternity.

The comments in post #2 are correct.

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:34 am

JAJ wrote:Correct that baby is automatically British as long as there is evidence of paternity.

JAJ, unless my addition is completely topsy-turvy and you're referring to a completely different post, I'm assuming that you mean to say incorrect.
Oh, the drama...!

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:39 am

JAJ wrote:Correct that baby is automatically British as long as there is evidence of paternity.

JAJ, unless my addition is completely topsy-turvy and you're referring to a completely different post, I'm assuming that you mean to say incorrect.
Oh, the drama...!