ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bar Vocational Course--counted as postgrad/masters?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

evilg
Newly Registered

Bar Vocational Course--counted as postgrad/masters?

Post by evilg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Hey guys. Just a quick question for those of you in the know.

Is the Bar Vocational Course (professional qualification for barristers in the UK) considered a Masters/post-graduate for purposes of Tier 1 applications, particularly pursuant to the new April rules?

It's a year-long, full-time taught qualification. See: http://www.bpplawschool.com/programmes/bvc/

I'm obliged for any help you can offer.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Am I seeing double or have I already posted a response to a question like this?

evilg
Newly Registered

Post by evilg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Yes, in the context of a thread on a different topic, on a different board.

I've used the Tier 1 points calculator on the BA website and it seems to show the BVC with 0 points. However, qualification as 'barrister' yields 35--the thing is, all one needs to qualify as a barrister (non-practising) after completing the BVC is to join an Inn of Court, which is quite a perfunctory step. I'm curious if this is an error or whether I can qualify as a non-practising barrister and have the equivalent of a Master's...

jash345
Newly Registered

Bar Vocational and Barrister

Post by jash345 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 am

A Bar Vocational Course (Postgraduate diploma) equals 0 point
A Barrister equals 35 points ( A barrister at law means youve done a pupillage plus the bvc) that is why you get 35 points.
With a BVC, you can only work as a paralegal and cannot hold yourself out as a barrister at law.
The UK Border Agency giving 35 points is absolutely spot on in their point awards.