ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

re-enterting the UK with a visitor visa?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gemlovesshoes
Newly Registered

re-enterting the UK with a visitor visa?

Post by gemlovesshoes » Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi this is a bit long winded but just wanted to see if anybody had any advice

My BF is american and came to the UK on April 1st with a visitors visa and got a stamp for 6 months(he is just visiting not working). Now a bit of information was that he came last year in Feb and stayed for 7 months on a vistors visa, overtsaying by a month. The very sad reason was we lost our son in August and he had to stay for paperwork etc, anyway the immigration official this year was fine and understood the previous overstay was out of his control.

So he is back and has been here two months and we planned a little trip away for three days to germany but have heard that he may have trouble re-entering, I am a total newbie to the world of immigration despite our being together for two years!!! If there is a chance he wont be allowed back in we can just sack it off and not go.

Does anybody know about this, it seems like they have already given him a stamp for 6 months of which he has stayed to leaving another 4 months left.....if you get what I mean.

ANY advice would be appreciated, lord knows we don't need the stress

Thank you

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 pm

The 6 months stamp isn't what's called continuous leave so it will expire as soon as you leave, leaving it up to the next IO to decide whether you qualify again for leave to enter.

gemlovesshoes
Newly Registered

Post by gemlovesshoes » Sun May 24, 2009 8:27 am

Thats great thank you for replying

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:44 pm

How about the Isle of Man, Ireland or the Channel Islands? He should be all right to travel there for now..

Anywhere else, he's leaving the Common Travel Area and as pointed out aready his leave is very likely to be lapsed. This may result in a refusal when he tries to re-enter the UK.
Oh, the drama...!

traveller1973
Newly Registered

Post by traveller1973 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:49 am

I would be cautious here. Your partner appears to enter for a short period and then stay or want to stay the maximum. How long did he say he would stay on his recent entry? If someone says i'll be here for 2 weeks but then re-enters and wants another period this undermines their credibility totally. Be careful as he sounds like a good reason for refusal on arrival. I'd be careful he doesn't get given a 're-entry' ban or anything.

A visitor can't live in the UK. If you want him here for long periods, apply for entry clearance. The consequences are not worth it.

Sorry, just being honest.

hamid84
Member of Standing

Post by hamid84 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:54 am

If he has 6 month's visitor visa then what the problem in re-entering UK from Germany?

Sometimes on visa you have single and multiple entries condition so check which one he has?

I have seen visitors coming from Pakistan to UK on visit visa then going to Germany/Canada and then coming back to UK with no problem.
Arrived UK in Dec 2000, Received ILR Oct 2008, Citizenship Approved March 2016.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 am

The key is 'genuine visitor' - the IO's are quite keen - they can spot someone trying to live here on a VV and know exactly what to look for;

Registry Office printouts from internet in bag, carrying a CV with u, bills in ur name to a UK address - all been seen on Sky One UK Border Force!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon May 25, 2009 10:25 am

hamid84 wrote:If he has 6 month's visitor visa then what the problem in re-entering UK from Germany?

Sometimes on visa you have single and multiple entries condition so check which one he has?

I have seen visitors coming from Pakistan to UK on visit visa then going to Germany/Canada and then coming back to UK with no problem.
You are confusing the concepts of "visa" and "entry stamp". Visitors from Pakistan require a visa to travel to the UK, which also gives them leave (permission) to enter, and is valid for any number of entries up to six months.
Visitors from the USA don't require a visa to travel to the UK, and are given leave to enter on arrival, by the Immigration Officer putting a 6-month visit stamp in their passport. However, as UKbabble has already pointed out, that leave to enter lapses when they leave the UK, and any time they come back they have to justify their reason for entry again and get another visit stamp.

gemlovesshoes
Newly Registered

Post by gemlovesshoes » Wed May 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for the replies, he is not trying to live here he has a good job back in the US that he has to return to. He is here now for moral support for me and our sons memorial then he is going back. We just thought as a lil pick us up it would be nice and as europe is usually too far for a quick hop is would be great (plus Ryanair makes it cheaper than the UK) but he wants to come back for the memorial service before going home. It could be too risky if they end up sending him back home just for a couple of days in Germany, we can go somewhere in England instead.

Just a shame though, he doesn't work or live here and we are not breaking any rules etc.....shame they have so much power!!!!

gemlovesshoes
Newly Registered

Post by gemlovesshoes » Wed May 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Sorry to answer another question he has been here 6 weeks, our trip is in two weeks for a massive three days and then he is here for another two weeks then home to the US for good.....so when we leave he will of only been here 8 weeks, its not like he is leaving after 5 months 3 weeks and then trying to get a new stamp etc