ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When would be a better time to enter UK for job search?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pyke

When would be a better time to enter UK for job search?

Post by pyke » Sat May 09, 2009 3:55 pm

It's a tough job market. With the recession and all the gloomy news, I was wondering when would be a better time to enter UK to search for a job?

Now, before the new grads come out in summer? As it's already summer, will employers be making adjustments for the new grads flooding the job market in a few months anyway?

Or maybe in the third or fourth quarter of the year, when the economic situation is less muddled and maybe inching its way towards a slow recovery? But after the new grads come out - more competition, busier recruitment agents, employers having milkround programmes looking to cut hiring in other areas perhaps etc.

Obviously, I'd be going for skilled positions, but may need to take an entry level position temporarily if the skilled positions are not available.

To those who have entered the UK recently, how are things going for you?

pyke

Post by pyke » Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm

Any advice would be much appreciated.

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:26 pm

According to me, any time is good, any time is bad. It all depends on how good you are, how well you are prepared and luck. If you you can see good amount of job postings for your skills, you can give it a go.

Definately, time after Nov/Dec is not good as things generally slow down during that time.

Good luck
Vikram

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: When would be a better time to enter UK for job search?

Post by yasa » Fri May 29, 2009 4:54 pm

pyke wrote:It's a tough job market. With the recession and all the gloomy news, I was wondering when would be a better time to enter UK to search for a job?

Now, before the new grads come out in summer? As it's already summer, will employers be making adjustments for the new grads flooding the job market in a few months anyway?

Or maybe in the third or fourth quarter of the year, when the economic situation is less muddled and maybe inching its way towards a slow recovery? But after the new grads come out - more competition, busier recruitment agents, employers having milkround programmes looking to cut hiring in other areas perhaps etc.

Obviously, I'd be going for skilled positions, but may need to take an entry level position temporarily if the skilled positions are not available.

To those who have entered the UK recently, how are things going for you?
It totally depends upon your determination and luck....
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

Sten

Post by Sten » Fri May 29, 2009 4:59 pm

December/January and July/August are normally worse due to xmas / holidays
Good luck !

wp2tier1

Post by wp2tier1 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:36 pm

best option in today's time is to keep researching UK job market for your skills through websites like cwjobs.co.uk and jobserve.co.uk . It all depends on skills and its requirement here. There are still good openings in niche skills still.

Do not risk leaving your current job without having offer in hand or at least have couple of good interviews lined up before leaving your current job.

http://immigrationadviceandassistance.blogspot.com/

pyke

Post by pyke » Sat May 30, 2009 6:50 am

Sten wrote:December/January and July/August are normally worse due to xmas / holidays

July/August? Do you mean the summer holidays? I suppose things might be a bit slow then?

pyke

Post by pyke » Sat May 30, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably take leave from my current job and spend a month in the UK to give it a go. Timing is important though.

Sten

Post by Sten » Sat May 30, 2009 9:39 am

pyke wrote:
Sten wrote:December/January and July/August are normally worse due to xmas / holidays

July/August? Do you mean the summer holidays? I suppose things might be a bit slow then?
yes, - long school holidays, so everyone goes on holiday these months ..some companies look completely deserted, having just a couple of unlucky guys sitting in the office and answering rare incoming calls
Good luck !

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun May 31, 2009 6:40 am

Thanks, that gets a bit tricky then. Sept - Nov sounds like it would be better in that case, after summer hols.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun May 31, 2009 12:50 pm

I think Jan-Feb-mar is also good...especially afte xmas-new year holidays when people get back to work and projects get budget for new year...
pyke wrote:Thanks, that gets a bit tricky then. Sept - Nov sounds like it would be better in that case, after summer hols.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sun May 31, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks chetanojha, that does sound practical. I was hoping to go sometime in 2009 though.