ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employment Opportunities on Tier 1 Migrant Visa?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MaheshTripathi
Newly Registered

Employment Opportunities on Tier 1 Migrant Visa?

Post by MaheshTripathi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 am

Hi,
I am looking to apply for a Tier 1 General Migrant Visa. Even though the criteria has changed but I qualify on the changed criteria as well. Actually I have been postponing this for quite some time looking at the current market conditions. However, the question that I have is that are the UK Companies still recruiting people with Tier 1 General Migrant Visas or are they reluctant to do so based on the latest directives from the Home Office which specifies that the Job has to be first advertised at at least 2 places.
I would like to think that it does not make sense to apply if Tier 1 General Migrant is going the same way as Work Permit (or Tier 2 now probably) in terms of getting a job in UK.

CjSingh
Newly Registered

Post by CjSingh » Thu May 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Can you please provide the link to the Home Office page that has this directive regarding advertising twice ?

thanks

CjSingh

nitboy123
Newly Registered

hi

Post by nitboy123 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Mahesh,

I have been here for the last 6 months now. I dont know what jobs you are looking at. I have been trying for software developer jobs. It is very very hard to even get an interview. Yesterday I thought my skills were very relevant to one of the jobs and in no time found 50+ applications for the same job. If you are a senior person I think the competition is even tough.

I had a friend who was trying for a Project manager job here, despite having PMP and Prince certifications... he gave up after 7 or 8 months.

I think, if you can stay without a job for may be 1 year, then you can come after September / Oct 2009...

But if you already have a job here in the UK through contacts or through your existing company, then it shouldnt be a problem...

But life now is really really tough. I will be waiting for 2 more months and then if I still dont find something I need to pack off back home. The living cost is also high despite the slowdown and I have already wasted 3.5 lakh rupees of my money and I think I could have stayed on in my job in Bangalore and waited for atleast 1 more year.

I think people are expecting that March 2010 is when the recovery can be seen - as per today's bbc and employment figures... life is too short to be wasting here without a job. thats the fact.

Go visit reed.co.uk to check out the applications for some of the jobs. Each one has atleast 30+ applications... so better to stay in your present jobs for 1 more year.

neoanderson
Newly Registered

So what is the status now ?

Post by neoanderson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am

Hi Nitboy,

I hope you got your job by now.

I recently secured my Tier 1 visa and am writing to consultants to just be in touch with them so that by the time I enter the country I will atleast have a few interview lined up to take.

But I am not getting any response.

How is it now ? Let us know.

Cheers,
Neo.

varghesejim
India

Re: hi

Post by varghesejim » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:01 pm

nitboy123 wrote:Hi Mahesh,

I have been here for the last 6 months now. I dont know what jobs you are looking at. I have been trying for software developer jobs. It is very very hard to even get an interview. Yesterday I thought my skills were very relevant to one of the jobs and in no time found 50+ applications for the same job. If you are a senior person I think the competition is even tough.

I had a friend who was trying for a Project manager job here, despite having PMP and Prince certifications... he gave up after 7 or 8 months.

I think, if you can stay without a job for may be 1 year, then you can come after September / Oct 2009...

But if you already have a job here in the UK through contacts or through your existing company, then it shouldnt be a problem...

But life now is really really tough. I will be waiting for 2 more months and then if I still dont find something I need to pack off back home. The living cost is also high despite the slowdown and I have already wasted 3.5 lakh rupees of my money and I think I could have stayed on in my job in Bangalore and waited for atleast 1 more year.

I think people are expecting that March 2010 is when the recovery can be seen - as per today's bbc and employment figures... life is too short to be wasting here without a job. thats the fact.

Go visit reed.co.uk to check out the applications for some of the jobs. Each one has atleast 30+ applications... so better to stay in your present jobs for 1 more year.
Hi Nitboy,

Can you tell me what is your profile look like?I mean which skills you are experienced in?

nitboy123
Newly Registered

Post by nitboy123 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:29 am

5 years total experience, including 2.5 years in Microsoft Hyderabad, 6 months in Microsoft US.

Primarly C#, .NET technologies, recently started on Silverlight, ASP.NET,
C++ and Webservices.

ramesh1

Post by ramesh1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:46 am

nitboy123 it means u got a job in silverlight? After how many months of hard search you got it? Honestly it is scary to go to Uk now. Pls advise.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

Just an update,

Jobless rates in the UK are at a 13 yr high. Approx 100k are being made redundant every month. A job is now being lost every 30 seconds
and McDonald's receiving 2,200 applications a day which include profiels across all segments like banking, consultancy and so on. The source for this is dailymail dot co dot uk. Please check the article.

But please note this is a generic article for the UK demography and considers all sectors, social levels and so on. Tier 1 migrants are skilled in a particular area and things may not be as bad.

Once again, people are still getting jobs, I know because they are trying and securing them, it's like any other country. Only thing is before there were 10 applicants for 20 jobs and now there are 1000 for 15 jobs thats it.

Like nitboy123 has said, if you have huge savings to bank on and are ready to stay put and patient for atleast 6 to 8 months, then come on over, else just stay in your current job, save some more and plan to come only mid 2010.

Cheers
KP

nitboy123
Newly Registered

Post by nitboy123 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:40 pm

no still looking for a job. by recent skills i meant i worked from may 2008 until nov 2008.