ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about green card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Question about green card

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:23 am

Is there a path to citizenship or any other long term residence with a Green Card? Is there any advantage to being on a green card instead of 4EUFam?

victor8600

Re: Question about green card

Post by victor8600 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:32 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Is there a path to citizenship or any other long term residence with a Green Card?
Not at the moment, as the corresponding legislation is not (yet?) in place. Right now, when your GC expires after 2 years, you should go to INIS and they will issue you a registration card with a TEMPORARY (1 year) stamp 4, which does not give you same advantages as "normal" stamp 4. This temporary stamp 4 only allows you to work for 1 year without a GC. What happens after this stamp 4 expires, nobody knows, as there is neither legislation nor precedent (GC were introduced beginning' 07).

More info at http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... enewal.htm .

In other respects, GC is just a Work Permit. Having a GC will not make your citizenship or long-term residency application any different.
All your base are belong to us

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 am

victor8600 wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Is there a path to citizenship or any other long term residence with a Green Card?
Not at the moment, as the corresponding legislation is not (yet?) in place. Right now, when your GC expires after 2 years, you should go to INIS and they will issue you a registration card with a TEMPORARY (1 year) stamp 4, which does not give you same advantages as "normal" stamp 4. This temporary stamp 4 only allows you to work for 1 year without a GC. What happens after this stamp 4 expires, nobody knows, as there is neither legislation nor precedent (GC were introduced beginning' 07).

More info at http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... enewal.htm .

In other respects, GC is just a Work Permit. Having a GC will not make your citizenship or long-term residency application any different.
Spot on victor8600. One wonders what will happen if by the expiration of the one year extension, the new immigration act is not passed. I sense another HSMP saga coming up in Ireland :roll:

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:04 am

Is there any reason I would prefer to have a green card to having a 4EUFam?

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Is there any reason I would prefer to have a green card to having a 4EUFam?
I'll choose 4EUFam anyday.

The current so called Green Card is nothing but a rebranded work permit. It allows you to work only in a specified profession for a specified employer (at least for the first 2 years). As it stands, pending the passing of the Immigration Bill 2008, the renewal of a GC is not guranteed. Though it is expected that following the passage of the bill it should offer an expedited pathway to LTR. In terms of timeline for citizenship application. You would still have to apply based on the standard 5 years residency rule.

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/guidelines.htm

4EUFarm however grants you unrestricted access to the labour market in any field of your choice. 5 years residency rule also applies for citizen application if you have a 4EUFam.

Goodluck

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:16 pm

How can these two cards be considered comparable, or even in any way alike?

One is a form of work permit - permission to remain in Ireland, until a specified time, working in a specified industry.

The other is a card confirming the right of residence, acquired by virtue of the holder being a family member of an EU national who is exercising Treaty rights in Ireland.

It's like comparing a teapot with an apple, no?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:19 pm

They are two separate kettles of fishes altogether.

As Ben has already stated the differences, i will not dwell on it.

However there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

With the Green Card, you don't have to go with EEA national to the GNIB, which wastes both of your time, as the reason for making the EEA national appear with the Family member is still not apparent to me. I think it is a psychological ploy aimed at making the non-EEA national feel useless and deny them any form of independent dignity.

Should, in the highly unlikely event of Ireland withdrawing from EU or EEA, your residency will not be affected.

You will not have to leave the country when your EEA partner leaves.

There is a degree of self-worth, that your skills has enabled you to get your residency rather than your partners Citizenship.

You will not be bound to stay in an abusive or dead relationship.

You might be able to speak to an INIS or DOJ member of staff rather than the total withdrawal of all phone call inquiries for the EU treaty rights section.

The benefit for Stamp 4 EUfam are countless:

No cost for GNIB card

Not bound by repressive medieval immigration laws

No infamous re-entry visa

Visa free travel.

inevitable permanent resident which would be a pathway to citizenship.

Better prospect for family reunification .

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Do you require a reentry visa on a Green card?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:31 pm

I would have thought that any length of time spent resident on a green card would be counted as "reckonable residency" towards application for citizenship.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... ralisation

It seems that only time spent as a student, undocumented, overstayed, illegal or while waiting for an application for asylum to be processed, was time not counted as reckonable residency.

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Do you require a reentry visa on a Green card?
Hmm.. I'd be surprised if you did. Those on a green card have permission to reside in Ireland, after all - why would a re-entry visa be required? I can't confirm though.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:49 pm

You certainly require a re-entry visa as i mentioned on my previous post.

The only category exempted are holders of Stamp4EUFam, Stamp 5? & 6 holders as well. All other category require a re-entry visa.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Obie wrote:All other category require a re-entry visa.
Seems you are right.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Re ... nformation
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... ng-ireland

How very queer indeed..

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:15 pm

The Tag Green Card is misleading, period! It is nothing but a work permit at best. As a matter of fact, with the current economic situation and recent changes to employment permit policies. I wouldn't be comfortable on a GC at the moment; at least not until the much expected Immigration Bill is passed. That is if it offers what they say it will offer.