ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IT Skills shortage in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

wp2tier1

IT Skills shortage in UK

Post by wp2tier1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:17 pm

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:10 pm

I disagree!

nitboy123
Newly Registered

Post by nitboy123 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:37 pm

this guy is a immigration agent and consultant.. so he's publishing false news and encouraging people to apply for tier 1...

see - that is the impact of recession that immigration consultants like him have to hunt for business now...thats the reality.

home office released stats last week. only 9.5% unemployment. and 2200 resumes per job.

ramesh1

Post by ramesh1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 am

T1_Mainframe did u got any job yet in mainframes?I have 8yrs of mainframe exp and having tier-1 still at India because scarred to travel to uk during this downturn. Your advise will be much appreciated.

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 am

ramesh1 wrote:T1_Mainframe did u got any job yet in mainframes?I have 8yrs of mainframe exp and having tier-1 still at India because scarred to travel to uk during this downturn. Your advise will be much appreciated.
Not yet. You are doing right by staying back in India during recession.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:42 am

It's good to see you have made a decision to stay back now and wait for some time. Dont think twice, atleast you have a plan in mind right?
Wait until early 2010. Please note that in Nov and Dec jobs drop down to a trickle as many people go on leave.
Jobs are advertised but the main decision makers in a company postpone their final choice until Jan/Feb. So if you plan to come, be here by September else only next year.
All the best and dont fret, the market will get better eventually

Cheers
KP

wp2tier1

Post by wp2tier1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm

I am owner of this blog http://immigrationadviceandassistance.blogspot.com/ and I am in a regular IT job and not any immigration consultant. I have nothing to gain by inviting people to UK. I have just tried giving a medium to long term view of job situation here. If you read my previous posts,I have myself suggested that during these times one should have at least some solid interviews in hand before travelling. They were just my views on what I am seeing here. Its upto people to decide and do their own research.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:51 am

nitboy123 wrote:this guy is a immigration agent and consultant.. so he's publishing false news and encouraging people to apply for tier 1...

see - that is the impact of recession that immigration consultants like him have to hunt for business now...thats the reality.

home office released stats last week. only 9.5% unemployment. and 2200 resumes per job.

I do wish you'd stop quoting this stupid figure. It is irrelevnt to most of the highly skilled workers on there and probably relates to ALL jobs. Yes of course your going to get 10,000 applicants for a sales assistant at Tesco but maybe only 5 - 10 for a Senior SAP developer.

Stop trying to put people off for some reason and just go away.

sashi1979

Post by sashi1979 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Vanadil wrote:
nitboy123 wrote:this guy is a immigration agent and consultant.. so he's publishing false news and encouraging people to apply for tier 1...

I do wish you'd stop quoting this stupid figure. It is irrelevnt to most of the highly skilled workers on there and probably relates to ALL jobs. Yes of course your going to get 10,000 applicants for a sales assistant at Tesco but maybe only 5 - 10 for a Senior SAP developer.

Well. I tend to agree a bit on what nitboy123 had written. Vanadil - I wonder if you have been job hunting in the last few days/weeks/months. You live in a dream world if you say you are only receiving 10 applications per SAP job. Wake up mate. Stop sleeping. Have a look at reed figures on how many applications fall on each posting.

Not that I want to discourage people. But remember that there's a big chunk of the world which thinks life is a cake walk in the UK and its a better thing to warn people not to think so. So vandil - dont give people false hopes ! Dont be a sadist mate!

nitboy123
Newly Registered

Post by nitboy123 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Vanadil wrote:

vanadil, if you have been in the UK for so long, then i suppose you will find everything cake walk. But not me and other average job seeker. If you are put off by my comment, you are at your will not to read my post and you could remain optimistic by reading home office statistics.

I am not dragging you to read my post like dragging an animal. Dont waste time and instead get a life.

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 am

Let's just say I'm heavily involved with the IT industry and Indian / South African / Australian workers coming over here looking for roles.

No Dream world, Statistics spanning the last 5 months. Oracle, SAP, Business Analyst positons do not have 2200 applicants, they have 10 - 15 per role, maybe of which 5 are suitable. I'm sorry if you keep finding yourself outside of this but it is no reason to keep putting others off.

I think you're quite right though and there are too many people arriving here with 1 - 2 years expericne in Network Support expecting to get paid £40 - 50K in the first month. Not gonna happen, probably won;t get a job and will have to end up going home for which I wish I could help. :(

If you're highly skilled and been working in a area for years then honestly you do stand a good chance. I'm not saying it won;t take a few weeks because it will but there are roles out there for highly skilled individuals, just not those expecting an easy ride and a wealth of lower skilled roles.

I'm sorry if I've cause this debate to get a bit heated as at the end of the day we all have the same interestes in mind. Just please don't take the home office statistics too seriously. I mean come on, this is the Home Office?!?!?! We ALL know how good they are! :wink:

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:52 am

Vanadil,

You are bang on and I can back what you have stated. I have stated similar things in so many posts. The market is definitely more competitive but not dead. And if one is a highly skilled person, 1 or 2 years experience will not help at all in this market.
I can re-iterate that I know highly skilled people are indeed getting jobs and for those who have been here for sometime, say 2 or 3 years, they find it relatively easier.

Speaking of the so called 'average' job seeker, the bare minimum is atleast 3 yrs quality experience and no demand of crazy salaries. Lots of Operational Support jobs in the UK dont pay anything above 30k, people make money for Out of Hours Support.
There are so many areas where there is demand but they may not be typical roles played by Asian Software professionals. I am in the Busines and System Analysis world so I agree with you that things are better in this area that others.

Another thing people need to realize is that a lot of companies are now optimizing resources by offsourcing an entire solution to a vendor. This is an old practise but increasing now since the recession started where entire deprtments and development work are being outsourced for 2 or 3 years and that probably has a knock on effect on availability of individual technical roles at the moment.

Regards
KP

chandu_246

Post by chandu_246 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi T1_Mainframe,

Did u get/attend any interview calls in Mainframe?

I am also mainframe guy with 7 yrs of exp. and got my Tier1 Visa recently.

Is it right time to travel with mainframe skillset to Uk right now?

T1_Mainframe did u got any job yet in mainframes?I have 8yrs of mainframe exp and having tier-1 still at India because scarred to travel to uk during this downturn. Your advise will be much appreciated.[/quote]

Not yet. You are doing right by staying back in India during recession.[/quote]

JACKY123

Post by JACKY123 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi Mainframes Job aspirants,

Did you get any job in UK on Mainframes ?

Is there any requirement ?

Which company is recruiting ?

Appreciate any info

Thanks in advance

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:31 pm

SAP is still in high demand...but for those who have 7-10 years of experience in international companies.....It is not good for those who take 2-3 months of training and call themselves SAP consultant. It is waste of money to do such trainings. Believe me....I have experienced it.

tsp

Post by tsp » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 am

rohitktm wrote:SAP is still in high demand...but for those who have 7-10 years of experience in international companies.....It is not good for those who take 2-3 months of training and call themselves SAP consultant. It is waste of money to do such trainings. Believe me....I have experienced it.
Hi Rohit,

I m in UK and have 8 yrs of experience in J2EE and feel J2EE is very much huge to match any job requirements .
For Eg:
In one requirement , they are asking multple skills for J2EE. Most of the time it is not exactly matching.

I m planning to change from J2EE to SAP by getting some training. Please let me know, how it is going to workout. What part of SAP should i study to match the market requirements. Where to get Training India or UK.

Next choice is move to EAI tools like Tibco or Oracle EAI technologies, What do you think about this. Please provide your valuable sugesstions.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 am

tsp wrote: Hi Rohit,

I m in UK and have 8 yrs of experience in J2EE and feel J2EE is very much huge to match any job requirements .
For Eg:
In one requirement , they are asking multple skills for J2EE. Most of the time it is not exactly matching.

I m planning to change from J2EE to SAP by getting some training. Please let me know, how it is going to workout. What part of SAP should i study to match the market requirements. Where to get Training India or UK.

Next choice is move to EAI tools like Tibco or Oracle EAI technologies, What do you think about this. Please provide your valuable sugesstions.
With such a good profile in J2EE, I would suggest you to look at Enterprise Portal or Composition Environment. Don't leave your core competency and ideally build your competency around J2EE which is widely used in Composition Environment.
However, if you are looking at a Functional area of SAP, I clearly wouldn;t advise such a move since it not only requires more than 5 years of experience in the domain to get a decent job, but it also means that you are losing out on your main area of development.

tsp

Post by tsp » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:20 am

*FC* wrote:
tsp wrote: Hi Rohit,

For Eg:

With such a good profile in J2EE, I would suggest you to look at Enterprise Portal or Composition Environment. Don't leave your core competency and ideally build your competency around J2EE which is widely used in Composition Environment.
However, if you are looking at a Functional area of SAP, I clearly wouldn;t advise such a move since it not only requires more than 5 years of experience in the domain to get a decent job, but it also means that you are losing out on your main area of development.
Many thanks for the quick reply.. But few more questions.. Please provide some details about Enterprise Portal or Composition Environment. what to study on this.

Thanks

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Yes, I agree with the reply that it is not easy to move to SAP. I was project manager and now I am starting as junior SAP consultant leaving all my experience behind. But after progressing further, ofcourse my management skills will be handy and will mean a lot in my profile. But for now, I am being patient and starting everything from scratch. It is not easy to get job as entry consultant in SAP field. As I have understood you are highly technical person and it may not be easy to move to SAP functional area. Probaly, techical areas like SAP Basis or SAP ABAP can be good for you. If you are good in programming, SAP ABAP may be good one (only if you really want to enter into SAP).

cl
Newly Registered

Post by cl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Guys,
I am a Senior Java Developer working out of Pune with 6.5 yrs of hard core development experience in Java and Web based technologies like Struts, etc.

Does anybody out here have any idea on the market situation in the UK for a guys like me? What would be a reasonable salary to expect? I am planning to come over during the months of August/September.

Also any pointers to how to go about approaching this when I land up in the UK (websites like Jobsite/Reed/etc. a good idea or any other avenues) will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
C.L.

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:33 pm

With 100s of 1,000s out of work in the UK including those in the IT sector I would say the article is shockingly deceiving. They say that the NHS is under staffed but this is merely to do with costs and not to do with lack of willing employees, we dont have a shortage of anything in the UK, what we have is mass cheap labour from every corner of the globe and companies who are will to abuse loopholes in immigration.