ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving in uk

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kathy.Hawes
BANNED

Some fatcs.

Post by Kathy.Hawes » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:13 am

Singapore's former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, who could always be counted on to call a spade a spade (and hit you on the head with it!), once characterised Australians as destined to become "the poor white trash of Asia". Lee's acerbic remarks were made years ago in the context of 'White Australia's' immigration policies until the 1970s, which were tailored to favour Anglo-Saxons and keep out Asians.
That enterprise, of course, was rendered rather difficult by Australia's peculiar identity as a colony of white settlers in a distinctly Asian part of the world.

In any case, if Lee were to walk the streets of Australian cities today, he will have reason to review his characterisation of that society. Much of the "trash" work (his words) today is done not by "poor white Australians", but by "brown" Indian immigrants, many of whom are on a student visa and to whom the grunge work has been 'outsourced'.

They work as storefront clerks, cooks, garbage collectors, taxi drivers, hair-dressers and countless other blue-collar jobs at less than minimum wage. Mostare from small-town India with a rudimentary proficiency in English and have enrolled in vocational-stream courses that feed a list of "occupations in demand" in Australia. Their real reason for being there, as they candidly admit in their faux Aussie drawl is not 'education', but to take a shot at 'permanent residency' there.

http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/column_ ... ut_1267896

An article by Venkatesh Vembu. Need I say more.

Dear Push_HSMP

I don't mean to be disrespectful to you. Believe me I have greatest respect for you and chetanojha. But every time when such issues come up, i hear just one arguments. Britons are living on benefits whereas we are paying taxes. This is britain. It is for british people. Just like India is for Indians. We don't leave our poor people to die as your Govt is doing in your country. More bothered about Ambani brothers feud than farmers committing suicide. More interested in shopping malls than providing basic education and job opportunities in rural country.

May be you are earning 5 times of any briton, ask yourself how much times average briton is earning than average HSMP migrant and for that matter in comparison to average wage earner in your own country.

Paying taxes here does not mean you have bought this country. You are paying for the facilities you are using here not obliging us. No body asked you to come here.

40% asians could not find better education facilities in their countries because their Govts. failed in basic governance.

You are here because this is better place to live than your own country. So respect people of this country. And tell your friends don't make everything a dearly beloved issue. No country can be more dearly beloved than india. Fair colour bride, 2000 muslims massacred in Gujarat. Caste system is society and in politics as well.

Most importantly you had to import your real prime minister as well because she is white. She is Italian. Is not she?

In the end i must say thanks to everybody. Good bye.

manupriyam
Newly Registered

Post by manupriyam » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:36 am

My 2 cents on not the hot discussion but on the real one. I have taken Norwich union insurance on the Indian Driving License. Believe me my friend too had taken a similat insurnace on a similar car at the same time but on a Regular DL had paid couple of quids more. Whatever maths you do, you will end up paying around 1200 p.a.

manupriyam
Newly Registered

Post by manupriyam » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:39 am

My 2 cents on not the hot discussion but on the real one. I have taken Norwich union insurance on the Indian Driving License. Believe me my friend too had taken a similat insurnace on a similar car at the same time but on a Regular DL had paid couple of quids more. Whatever maths you do, you will end up paying around 1200 p.a.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:45 am

well to start with this is my real name...

I must accept few facts which Kathy had put fwd. Let's put ourselves in Kathy's position. Imagine a scenario where scores of migrants move from neighbouring countries to India and form ghettos across all major cities & also accuse us for being dearly beloved etc etc. It would be an endless duel.

When you open a window for fresh air, few flies are bound to come in.
Something similar is happening here now.

On the other hand Kathy, FYI, not all highly-skilled are losers & end up in McD or P Hut. Many are highly paid investment bankers, accountants, etc.

Many friends of mine have bought a brand new salon after clearing their UK DL. Mine is expected shortly too.

Finally, we shouldn't directly compare the current UK salary with an asian one (i.e., dividing by exchange rate) & assume the latter is low. You need to factor in the Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) too.

1 loaf here may cost = 1.50£ but, in an asian country you can spend that on 3 square meals using the same 1.50£.

manishmittal
BANNED

My personal experiences.

Post by manishmittal » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:43 am

rsathish wrote:well to start with this is my real name...

I must accept few facts which Kathy had put fwd. Let's put ourselves in Kathy's position. Imagine a scenario where scores of migrants move from neighbouring countries to India and form ghettos across all major cities & also accuse us for being dearly beloved etc etc. It would be an endless duel.

When you open a window for fresh air, few flies are bound to come in.
Something similar is happening here now.

On the other hand Kathy, FYI, not all highly-skilled are losers & end up in McD or P Hut. Many are highly paid investment bankers, accountants, etc.

Many friends of mine have bought a brand new salon after clearing their UK DL. Mine is expected shortly too.

Finally, we shouldn't directly compare the current UK salary with an asian one (i.e., dividing by exchange rate) & assume the latter is low. You need to factor in the Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) too.

1 loaf here may cost = 1.50£ but, in an asian country you can spend that on 3 square meals using the same 1.50£.
Now a days even India is very expensive. Real estate prices in metros are almost same as UK. Cars are more expensive. Fuel is only 20% cheaper than UK but then you spend more on bad traffic. Air fares & Hotels are expensive than UK. McDonalds and Pizza Hut prices are almost similar. PPP (the way government calculates) is just an eyewash.

Go to any shopping mall in metros and you will find prices are more or similar to UK sometimes even higher.

There are some goods though which are cheaper and which common man uses but then quality is unacceptable.

The fact is people in India and surrounding Asian countries (even more than India) are very very poor in comparison to British, Europeans (including Eastern Europeans) and Middle Eastern people.

There are some appalling cases where you would find HSMPians are working at low end jobs (can never be in the case of WPians). In fact I have come across quite a few who ask their freinds/relatives to regularly transfer money to their bank accounts to show caseworker that they are economically active till they find some work (of course they can't do that for 5 years). But it is not limited to Indians even Chinese are doing the same.

The other problem is the way Asians come and live in this country. The main objective seems to me is SAVE SAVE SAVE not to live here. I don't see many Asians shopping in Selfridges, John Lewis, Laura Ashley and in other top brand stores except on the other side of counter. Where I live, many owners are letting their property to IT guys from India. There are more than 2-3 families living in 1-2 bedroom flats with children. OK here and there some cases you will find in every community but for Indians, it seems to me a its a rule.

There is a International Students House in NW1 (near Regents Park) where they provide family accommodation for mature students. There are 3 Indian families who are living there for nearly 6 years now. This guy came from India, was studying in LBS and then got job in HSBC in 2004 and still living in student accommodation. Now what he does is he takes admission in cheapest college like ACCA colleges and give proof of student to dean. Thats clearly a forgery. Dean knows it but he says he can't do anything. There is another family of 4 (2 A, 2 C) occupying a 2 bed accommodation and living with father and younger brother who is unmarried. He is showing his wife is a student. Can you believe that they are living there for more than 6 years paying rent not even 20% of real market rent of similar size property in similar location. What can you say.

Other problem is talking loudly in their native language. Last sunday I had to call my management company to warn some Indian students who are renting a 1 bed flat (and living more than 8 in that) who was standing just outside my patio and speaking with someone in India in some South Indian language so loudly that they could hear her even without phone.

Among the worst drivers, Asians comes third after Polish and blacks.

Its really a sad thing that because of some people, whole community is looked badly.

I guess this forum can also be helpful in informing new immigrants how one should behave in public and what is acceptable way of living without hurting anybody's sentiments / way of life. This forum is already doing a fantastic job and can do more than that.

push

Post by push » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:04 am

chetanojha wrote:If you had insurance in India, you can use the No Claim Bonus of India here as well. I didn't used it(i never had in India too), but couple of my friends has used the same here.
Can you find out from your friends as to what documentation they used to claim benefits of "no-claim" bonus from home-country?

@Kathy - I know you are not being disrespectful to me or others. My argument was against over-generalisation of what highly skilled migrants do and some of your sweeping statements - which said don’t drive on our roads and meant that people coming from certain countries were lesser mortals and generally had a despicable national character.

You have also mentioned about killing of 2000 Muslims and deaths of farmers in India without any context. I can write hundreds of line describing the actual nature, reasons for such tragic episodes and evolution of the society post such events but that would not lead to any resolution of this debate. All I can say is, religious conflicts have been part of the world history from ages - don’t forget crusades- and continue to dog the world even today - read Pakistan & Afghanistan. The difference is, whereas in the Indian subcontinent these skirmishes have been local in nature, western countries have very cunningly decided to fight such wars off-their shores. What else is US/UK's war against terrorism? Just go back to some 30 years and see who abetted the rise of Taliban and then subsequent demonising of the outfit. Anyways, that’s my final say on the matter (here on the board) and I really believe it is off-topic. If you still want to discuss the issue further - happy to take it off-line. Let us let the peace prevail here....
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:50 pm

push_hsmp wrote:Can you find out from your friends as to what documentation they used to claim benefits of "no-claim" bonus from home-country?
I found a relevant info on the link below:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/communi ... 33443.aspx

Also there is a Post Office FAQ link but require applicant to call on 08450731002 for complete information

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/c ... d=73100718

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:40 pm

chetanojha wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:Can you find out from your friends as to what documentation they used to claim benefits of "no-claim" bonus from home-country?
I found a relevant info on the link below:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/communi ... 33443.aspx

Also there is a Post Office FAQ link but require applicant to call on 08450731002 for complete information

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/c ... d=73100718
Thanks for the posts. I am first time driving in UK, but before doing that i made sure i know the rules by reading the highway codes and thepry test books. And making a person who has driven in the UK for long, sitting beside me while driving. More than 5 years experience driving in india i am really comfortable driving here since i have done some preparation.

That was with the the insurance the car dealer provided for a short duration.

After all my searches, i have decided to go to india to get my IDP since i found getting a license with an indian license is costing me a LOT. With international license i am seeing reasonable quotes.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Kathy.Hawes wrote:.

Most of you people are loosers. Real loosers. Come on ban me. What else you can do. Intolerant people. Thats what they teach you in your countries.
Kathy i am deeply appalled and troubled by you shameful and disgraceful remarks.

Try and judge people by the contents of their character and not the colour of their skin, ethnic background or drivers licenses Issuer.

Comments like this have no place in a decent and civilize society not list the one in which you claim to be living.

It would be nice if you can either retract these abhorrent comments or at least refrain from contributing,if you are unable to make any constructive , edifying comments
Last edited by Obie on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Kathy.Hawes wrote:
Sten wrote:Don't spend you time, it is just a sockpuppet ..
Most of you people are loosers. Real loosers. Come on ban me. What else you can do. Intolerant people. Thats what they teach you in your countries.
Can't spell properly.