ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR success - PEO Corydon - WP (3yrs) + HSMP (2yrs)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GoodFun

ILR success - PEO Corydon - WP (3yrs) + HSMP (2yrs)

Post by GoodFun » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I received my ILR from PEO Corydon last week. My case was as follows:

Student: Sep 2000 (Initial entry in UK)
WP: Jul 2004 - Jul 2007
HSMP: Jul 2007 - Jul 2009

Applied using SET(O). HSMP Judicial Review Policy Not Applicable.

I was initially concerned about the following two things:

1) My HSMP expiry date was such that I was short of the full 5 years by 7 days - This was never questioned or mentioned.
2) Unemployed for 6 months on HSMP - Not an issue. I will elaborate later.

Initially the SET(O) application form was checked at the PEO and stamped as Valid. The officer did not ask me for any documents at this point not even bank statements or anything.

I was then asked to pay the fee which I did following which I was asked to wait to see a caseworker. My appointment was for 14:30 however I did not see the caseworker till 15:45. All appointments were running late by an hour on the day.

I gave the SET(O) application to the caseworker. I then handed the following documents:

a) Continuation sheet for travel
b) Letter from employer
c) Last 6 months Pay-Slips
d) Last 6 months Bank Statements (Salary A/C)
e) Last 6 months Bank Statements (Saving A/C)
f) Knowledge of Life in UK (self + dependent spouse)
g) Passports
h) Photos (2 x self + 2 x dependent)

Initially the caseworker thought I was eligible for ILR after 4 years which I needed to point out that I was not.

The caseworker then asked for the P60s and a letter from the previous employer to see if there were a gap in the employment.

I mentioned that there was a 6 month unemployment period when I was on HSMP. He was quite concerned that this is quite a long period and consulted his supervisor who was happy with this. However they asked for bank statements for the period of unemployment to see economic activity during this period.

As per the rules one needs to be economically active at the time of the ILR application any unemployment prior to that on the HSMP is not an issue.

At the end the caseworker wanted to check the number of days out of the country for which I had a spreadsheet. I had a total of 166 days out of the country during the last 5 years.

After this he was satisfied and said that all was okay and I will get my documents in 1-2 hrs. I had to wait a further 2 hours before I finally received the documents all stamped with settlement stamp.

Finally a big thanks to this forum.
Last edited by GoodFun on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Goodfun, congratulations on getting the ILR and thanks for posting useful information.

I do have a couple of questions:
1. it seems you didn't provide them any P60s at all? Were they ok with that?
2. you mentioned:
At the end the caseworker wanted to check the number of days out of the country for which I had a spreadsheet. I had a total of 166 days out of the country during the last 5 years.
Did the caseworked merely go thru your spreadsheet or did they also cross check the dates against your passport stamps?

Would appreciate your clarification on these points.

Again, thanks and congrats.

GoodFun

Post by GoodFun » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:50 am

global gypsy

Thanks for your message. Please see below regarding your query.

1) I did not initially provide any P60. However the case worker requested it later to check for gaps in employment. I also gave him the P45 from my last employment.

On the whole this is not such a big issue for HSMP as there are no requirements to be employed all the time whilst on HSMP.

2) Initially, I did not provide the spreadsheet to the caseworker. He had a look at the absences listed in the SET(O) application form and was going to calculate it from the details on the form. Only at this point I provided him the spreadsheet to quicken the process. Once I handed the spreadsheet, he only looked at the total number of days out and was happy with it. He did not do any further checks. At no point whist I was with him did he cross check the information on the application form or the spreadsheet with the passport.

But then again after I provided him with all the documents, he told me that he was satisfied with all the documents and asked me to return to the waiting area. He spent another 30mins processing the documents. I am not sure if he did some further checks regarding the absences.

willnotbackHSMP

Post by willnotbackHSMP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Congrats Goodfun !

I have a quick question may be it is kinda foolish question but want to cross check that is - did you fill in the SET(O) form by own handwritting or by any word processing software?

The guide line says that the SET(O) form should be filled in by black pen with capital letter but it didnt mention about own handwritting or word processing. You know at the last moment we ppl get sometimes confusion when answer of known question becomes unknown :shock:

I have an PEO appointment on 1st July.

Regards.

GoodFun

Post by GoodFun » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:43 pm

willnotbackHSMP

If you have Adobe Acrobat you can open the SET(O) pdf and complete the form electronically. You can then print out the final form.

Both hand written or filling the form with Acrobat are fine as long they are legible.

Hope this helps.

willnotbackHSMP

Post by willnotbackHSMP » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:05 pm

GoodFun wrote:willnotbackHSMP

If you have Adobe Acrobat you can open the SET(O) pdf and complete the form electronically. You can then print out the final form.

Both hand written or filling the form with Acrobat are fine as long they are legible.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I have that software ( free download for trial 30 days ! :D )

Thanks again indeed.

Post by 9588 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 am

GoodFun wrote:global gypsy

Thanks for your message. Please see below regarding your query.

1) I did not initially provide any P60. However the case worker requested it later to check for gaps in employment. I also gave him the P45 from my last employment.

On the whole this is not such a big issue for HSMP as there are no requirements to be employed all the time whilst on HSMP.

2) Initially, I did not provide the spreadsheet to the caseworker. He had a look at the absences listed in the SET(O) application form and was going to calculate it from the details on the form. Only at this point I provided him the spreadsheet to quicken the process. Once I handed the spreadsheet, he only looked at the total number of days out and was happy with it. He did not do any further checks. At no point whist I was with him did he cross check the information on the application form or the spreadsheet with the passport.

But then again after I provided him with all the documents, he told me that he was satisfied with all the documents and asked me to return to the waiting area. He spent another 30mins processing the documents. I am not sure if he did some further checks regarding the absences.
congraualation and thanks for sharing your experience
so did u have any gap in between your employments ? do u know what is the maxium amount of days allowed ?

GoodFun

Post by GoodFun » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:35 pm

9588 wrote:congraualation and thanks for sharing your experience
so did u have any gap in between your employments ? do u know what is the maxium amount of days allowed ?
I was unemployed for 6 months on HSMP. There is no time limit for unemployment on HSMP, the only requirement is that at the time of your settlement application you should be employed.

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Re: ILR success - PEO Corydon - WP (3yrs) + HSMP (2yrs)

Post by boonworkpermit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm

GoodFun wrote: I mentioned that there was a 6 month unemployment period when I was on HSMP. He was quite concerned that this is quite a long period and consulted his supervisor who was happy with this. However they asked for bank statements for the period of unemployment to see economic activity during this period.
Congratulations and Thank you for sharing your story with us.
I was unemployed for almost 6 months too. So, I'm a bit relieved to hear about your case.

I have one question though. You said they asked for bank statements for the period of unemployment. But if you are unemployed, obviously
there won't be any income coming in to show on your statements.
Can you tell us what they were looking for on your statements?

GoodFun

Post by GoodFun » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm

boonworkpermit

They were basically looking to see that I have been living off savings as I claimed to have and not off public funds.

They were not looking for salary going into the account during this period.

Hope this helps.

global gypsy

Post by global gypsy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Goodfun, thanks for the clarification. I guess I will take along all possible documentation papers!

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:43 pm

I got my ILR for myself and dependants yesterday at Sheffield PEO, in my cover letter i asked that pre-dated letter be made individually for myself and my 3 depandants, and bingo it was so, no mistakes. Our letters says we were free from immigration restrictions from July 16th 2008. So two more weeks for Citizenship application.

I had an appiontment for 10 am yesterday, but i got there at 8.30am and i was let in, by 9am my application was validated and and so was asked to pay. by 9.30am i was called up by a case worker. He asked for my form and asked for the documents to back my application. i said i had a file full of docs, he said i should hand him the file. By 10am he called me that my application was successful and handed me the pre-dated letter for myself and my dependants each. By 12noon, i got our passports.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Papafaith wrote:I got my ILR for myself and dependants yesterday at Sheffield PEO, in my cover letter i asked that pre-dated letter be made individually for myself and my 3 depandants, and bingo it was so, no mistakes. Our letters says we were free from immigration restrictions from July 16th 2008. So two more weeks for Citizenship application.

I had an appiontment for 10 am yesterday, but i got there at 8.30am and i was let in, by 9am my application was validated and and so was asked to pay. by 9.30am i was called up by a case worker. He asked for my form and asked for the documents to back my application. i said i had a file full of docs, he said i should hand him the file. By 10am he called me that my application was successful and handed me the pre-dated letter for myself and my dependants each. By 12noon, i got our passports.

Papa,

Whats the next plan? Once you get the red book are you leaving the shores? or just chilling out...?

Its been a long journey - well done :wink:
Where there is a will there is a way.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Papafaith wrote: .
Congrats Papafaith, the end is nigh. Can you remember back in 2004 when initial applications were taking more than 6months to go thru. Great to see one of the 'old timers' doing well

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Congrats Papafaith. Its been a long time. And good luck on your 'Red badge' later in year.

justice_will_reign
Member of Standing

Post by justice_will_reign » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Papafaith wrote:I got my ILR for myself and dependants yesterday at Sheffield PEO, in my cover letter i asked that pre-dated letter be made individually for myself and my 3 depandants, and bingo it was so, no mistakes. Our letters says we were free from immigration restrictions from July 16th 2008. So two more weeks for Citizenship application.
.. whatever has a beginning MUST have an end. Congratulations and all the best for the last huddle if not for anything atleast for spending lesser time at Heathrow and ability to wake on a Friday morning and think of going to France for the weekend without any immigration control or stress of visa application!

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Chess, f2k, Iyanu, Justice, my soul smiles when i see folks that guided me in the begining of this race, tanx folks, you guys are stars.
I got an expat role, 5 weeks on, 2 weeks off, just waiting for my red badge. Will be applying for citizenship in two weeks, good to know one is finally a British Expat.
I will always be on this forum, lovely folks you all are.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.