ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Approval

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abidjan1

Certificate of Approval

Post by abidjan1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:56 pm

hi guys

i would to know if someone can share his/her experience about COA application specially if the partner is illegally in the country.

moma

Post by moma » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:06 pm

well i do and its been 11 weeks so far.sent the application in mid april and get acknowledgement letter within a week.got a letter from HO saying i should send affidavits dated 12th may but i got it really late a couple of days before the 14 days was up which was ending 26 may.and i havent heard anything from them since.i have called them and they say 14 weeks isnt up yet so i have to wait.i sent a letter showing my status i dont know what the procedure is for people who have there passports i didnt.

abidjan1

Post by abidjan1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:45 pm

thank you for your reply can you tell about the affidavit is it just a statement that need to be sign by a sollicitor or else. my plan is to do the affidavit and send my application with it to avoid your scenario.
thank youy may god help us

moma

Post by moma » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:09 pm

well i dont know if u can sent the affidavits with initial application,becoz u dont have the questions that they ask.the letter you get from them will have about 21 questions which you have to answer and well i sent my application got the letter after 5 weeks and wrote my affidavits up and we went to a lawyer who witnessed it and made us swear on the bible and sign and he stamped the affidavits cost us £10 for the two and we sent it off using special delivery but cos it was may bank holiday it got there on the day Deadline.with the affidavits i sent more evidence to substaniate support our application.it takes ages i know but you never know u could sent an affidavits giving details of ur relationship. i sent bills tenancy agreements,baby's birth certi,passports every thing that would help prove our relationship was genuine i forgot to send letters from my friends and all.

abidjan1

Post by abidjan1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:56 pm

ok thanks again your answer is helpful. in fact i was thinking about doing the affidavit in the same time because on the note about COA they give an insight of the sort of question they might ask

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... _guide.pdf

my 2nd question that the homeoffice want applicant to give detail of the differents arrangement how can it be possible if you don't even know if you will able to have the approval?

moma

Post by moma » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:44 pm

u will be granted if anything i read here is anything to go on and besides there is a case law to support people who have overstayed saying they have every rite to marry here with leave or not.

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:01 pm

COA should be granted regardless of immigration status. Whether you should get married & apply for a spouse visa within the UK is another question. If you entered illegally or if you have no good reason for being an overstayer, then you are best advised to go back to your country of origin and apply from there

abidjan1

Post by abidjan1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:03 pm

thank you for the reply but i am stuck the HO expect us to provide our wedding arrangement how can we do it if we don't know the time it will take to have the COA in our case we would like to marry in december we will be applying around mid septeember as i am waiting waiting for my decree absolute.
so do you think we got any chance to have the COA on time?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:25 am

abidjan1 wrote:thank you for the reply but i am stuck the HO expect us to provide our wedding arrangement how can we do it if we don't know the time it will take to have the COA in our case we would like to marry in december we will be applying around mid septeember as i am waiting waiting for my decree absolute.
so do you think we got any chance to have the COA on time?
Set a date, and provide them the evidence of that. It will certainly speed up your application. A friend of mine wrote a letter to them stating that his wedding is schedule for that date. I know the registry will not book you, but you can arrange halls, ect and send that evidence to them too if it is impossible to get a date without a COA.

Best of luck

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 am

agreed - just say "we're planning for x date and as soon as we receive the COA we will be able to book restaurant, venue etc..". I did. In fact I just said it's gonna be a small wedding with under 10 people so no major arrangements needed. I wouldn't get too worked up about showing them loads of proof. COA is illegal anyway

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:34 am

ginoT wrote:agreed - just say "we're planning for x date and as soon as we receive the COA we will be able to book restaurant, venue etc..". I did. In fact I just said it's gonna be a small wedding with under 10 people so no major arrangements needed. I wouldn't get too worked up about showing them loads of proof. COA is illegal anyway
I agree with you ginot. It is one of those illegal measures that the HO is sugar coating to look legal.

I advise people to just go church of England route if they can.

I have seen some cases where people apply for this illegal document and they end up facing removals, even though they provide all the documents to prove their relationship is genuine and not one of convenience

ginoT

Post by ginoT » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:45 am

Church of England is the smartest thing to do, but morally wrong of course! btw, I'm going down a JR route myself regarding COAs which ya'all can follow here

abidjan1

Post by abidjan1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 am

thank you guys for the advices i now got all i need.
good luck to everyone involve with the HO

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Obie wrote:
ginoT wrote:agreed - just say "we're planning for x date and as soon as we receive the COA we will be able to book restaurant, venue etc..". I did. In fact I just said it's gonna be a small wedding with under 10 people so no major arrangements needed. I wouldn't get too worked up about showing them loads of proof. COA is illegal anyway
I agree with you ginot. It is one of those illegal measures that the HO is sugar coating to look legal.

I advise people to just go church of England route if they can.

I have seen some cases where people apply for this illegal document and they end up facing removals, even though they provide all the documents to prove their relationship is genuine and not one of convenience
I agree.

I wondered how UKBA would react now that they can't charge for COAs and have to process applications from overstayers.

Enquiries I've had suggest that they are not averse to granting the COA then picking up some overstayer applicants at the registry office and detaining them.

Could this be a ruse to put anyone off from applying for a COA and thereby making UKBA work for free?

Also of course adding to the list of people who will remain overstayers.

Guess it might safeguard some jobs in this recession.
Oh, the drama...!