ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish port of entry

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

uptimist
Newly Registered

Irish port of entry

Post by uptimist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:24 am

I am Eu citizen residing with my family(non Eu with Stamp4 eu fam card).We both travelled to Germany.We got a good reception at Bremen because the IO seems to know she does not require a visa as long as we travel together.The funny thing is on our arrieval at ireland,the IO seems not to know his job he insisted that my wife should have got a visa for germany before leaving ireland.After a lot of talk,he said we were allowed in,with a warning from these almighty officer that he will note this on their system

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:29 am

It is worth carrying a copy of the Irish implementation law with you when you travel. The border guards in Ireland do not, on the whole, seem to be very well informed about European law.

You might also want to request a copy of your file from them so see what he noted in his system.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Irish port of entry

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:53 am

uptimist wrote:I am Eu citizen residing with my family(non Eu with Stamp4 eu fam card).We both travelled to Germany.We got a good reception at Bremen because the IO seems to know she does not require a visa as long as we travel together.The funny thing is on our arrieval at ireland,the IO seems not to know his job he insisted that my wife should have got a visa for germany before leaving ireland.After a lot of talk,he said we were allowed in,with a warning from these almighty officer that he will note this on their system
I think it is outrageous, why should it be their concern if other member states chooses to implement the directive correctly.

You should have pointed out to the ill informed and narrow minded officer that article 5 exempts your wife from the visa requirements, and that it is Ireland which is violating the rule, and for that she should not be punished.

I hope you have the details of the officer and will certainly be proceeding with filing complains to the commission and the Department of Justice in Ireland in that regards.

They should at least remove that illegal note from their system and make an apology for the harassment caused to you guys.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 pm

I wonder did he even know his own job,

Under Irish law, SI 656 of 2006, He should not Stamp your wife's passport, Did he ?
and you are entitled to take the Irish/EU line with your wife (as she does not need a stamp)

I would not be happy with his threat, or what he might write.
Last edited by acme4242 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Did they stamp your or your wife's passport on entering Ireland?

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Did they stamp your or your wife's passport on entering Ireland?
On entry into Ireland my wife's passport (4EUFam-holder) was stamped roughly 50/50...

...funniest occurrence was a young lad checking the passport who obviously had no clue about his job whatsoever - he asked my wife what she wants to do in Ireland... Her response "well, I live here and have to work tomorow" confused him, but then waved us through...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:33 pm

It makes you wonder about the Irish immigration Gardia! Wow!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:It makes you wonder about the Irish immigration Gardia! Wow!

I have always thought the Irish immigration service is not fit for purpose.
Those people need expert training urgently. There level of ignorance and incompetence is contagious.

It seem those guys might not even have a school leaving Certificate never mind understanding and interpreting simple information.

The Irish concept of " at the discretion of the IO" means these people haven't got any clearly set guideline or instructions and hence are doing things as it suits them.

How could they stamp your wife's passport, when it is clearly stated in their regulation that it is forbidden. Worst of it asking your wife what she is coming to do here.

I sort of detect a xenophobic tone in that question rather than a lack of knowledge of what the stamp in your wife's passport means.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Obie wrote:...How could they stamp your wife's passport, when it is clearly stated in their regulation that it is forbidden. Worst of it asking your wife what she is coming to do here...
My personal interpretation goes along these lines: They are not well-trained and do not know the regulations under which they work. Let alone the intention of the laws, which in turn would make the laws much more comprehensible.

Many IO's simply lack an overall picture of the purpose of the rules and how they themselves fit into this overall picture...

nicepecsigot

Post by nicepecsigot » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:00 am

thats why IO in adequate official,in efficient officials need i say more :)

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 am

It seems true that these guys sometimes have no clue what they are doing or the Guinness seems to set them off on 'ego trips'

Snubbed Texas travelers given trip to Ireland
Colin Zwirko, 21, Gavin Sides, 19, and Ben Whitehurst, 21, said they were told when they landed in Dublin on Friday that they couldn’t enter the country because they didn’t have an address where they planned to stay and bank statements to prove they could afford to travel.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:41 pm

acme4242 wrote:I wonder did he even know his own job,

Under Irish law, SI 656 of 2006, He should not Stamp your wife's passport, Did he ?
and you are entitled to take the Irish/EU line with your wife (as she does not need a stamp)

I would not be happy with his threat, or what he might write.
Wondering why they don't let the spouses of Irish citizens take the EU line as well? Although even if they did, there no doubt would be endless hassle.
Maybe it's because they can't tell Irish spouses from any other stamp 4 holder?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 pm

esharknz wrote:Wondering why they don't let the spouses of Irish citizens take the EU line as well? Although even if they did, there no doubt would be endless hassle.
Hmmm :roll: Well.... What happens if you are Irish and coming from working in another EU country with your spouse.... Then European law applies (Singh case). So those spouses of Irish people should be able to use the EU line. .... :lol: :roll:

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
esharknz wrote:Wondering why they don't let the spouses of Irish citizens take the EU line as well? Although even if they did, there no doubt would be endless hassle.
Hmmm :roll: Well.... What happens if you are Irish and coming from working in another EU country with your spouse.... Then European law applies (Singh case). So those spouses of Irish people should be able to use the EU line. .... :lol: :roll:
shoulda, coulda, woulda .. We tried using the EU line and when we got to the top of it were told to go to the back of the non-EU line by a very grumpy Officer. Won't be trying that again ;)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Oh, sounds almost like a lot of fun! I wish I had been there!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:23 pm

esharknz wrote: Hmmm :roll: Well.... What happens if you are Irish and coming from working in another EU country with your spouse.... Then European law applies (Singh case). So those spouses of Irish people should be able to use the EU line. .... :lol: :roll:
It will ultimately work, but i will estimate the Irish spouse and the wife to be at the Airport for at least 3 hours. The department of Justice sent back my Irish friend's application after her filed an application for his wife he was living with in the UK.

It took several week of complaining before he received a letter from Department of Justice, saying they apologise and will now process it under EU law.

If the department of Justice will be so ill-informed how much more those grumpy guys at the airport.

They will be totally confused and ill-prepared.