ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

filling in naturalisation application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

filling in naturalisation application

Post by rogerroger » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:14 pm

Hello

I downloaded the appliaction form for naturalisation Form AN(New)
on the second page it states
Fill in those parts of the form that apply to your application (see Pages 9-21 in the guide)
i could not locate the guide.

on this page
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... forms.html?
there is a link to a guide which leads to this page

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... on_as.html
which is a guide but in html format.

can you guys point me to a location where i can download the guide.

John

Post by John » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:40 am

Roger, on this page the link to the Guide AN(NEW) is very visible towards the top of the webpage.

Clearly it is readable there .... but it is not a PDF that is downloadable.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:27 am

thanks for the reply john

i did visit the guide in html format.

it is just that the application form has references to page numbers on the guide. e.g. on the second page of the guide says
fill in those parts of the form that apply to your application (see pages 9-21 in the guide) and cross out all other parts.
hence i was looking for the pdf(?) versjon of the guide, so i could have a clear reference.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:00 pm

just visited the site again and now the link leads to a guide in the pdf format

John

Post by John » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Roger, a quick look at that PDF shows it to be an updated document ... not just a conversion of format.

The new guide ... an important read ... for everyone intending to apply for naturalisation.

Click here to download the PDF.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi John

I just went through the guide and it states that the new guidelines kick in 1st of November 2005

Does this mean that in order to apply for naturalisation under the old rules, if i were to use the check in service at say haringey, i need to do that a week in advance, so that i allow for time for the application to reach the home office.

Also i was wondering is the only change on the 1st of November, the introduction of the "life in the UK test", i guess that would mean applying for the test and then waiting for the results and then applying for naturalisation(another step and wait in the process of naturalisation)

On page 29,as part of knowledge of English and life in the United Kingdom
it mentions initial Assessment to ESOL at entry level3 (fourth bullet point)

there is no OR mentioned between bullet points 3 and 4.

i have a Masters from a UK university, do i just deposit my masters certificate at the check in service(one of my concerns is that if the certificate is misplaced, what happens?)

do i need to hand in my Indian passport (just double checking since i want to visit India soon after for about 3 weeks)

John

Post by John » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:39 pm

Roger, you are right to think that the new Citizenship Test only kicks in for applications received by IND on or after 01.11.05. So as it clearly states in that new version of the Guide AN(NEW) references to the new Citizenship Test can be ignored if the application is to be submitted prior to then.

Your knowledge of English? I would say that proof of your Masters Degree from a UK University would suffice to prove that.

Haringey .... they could get extremely busy the last week in October. I think you should aim to go to Haringey as soon as you are time-qualified to do so ... not less than one year after you got your ILR .... and do ensure that you were physically in the UK exactly five years before IND will receive the application in Liverpool.

When did you get your ILR? And what date did you arrive in the UK back in 2000?

The checking service will not retain your passport. They will photocopy it and hand it straight back to you. Any academic certificate will be retained and sent on to Liverpool. It/they will be returned to you by secure post.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:19 pm

thanks for the reply John and thanks for the advice regarding applying before the end of October, i will try to do so.

i need to get the two referees which is going to be a pain, since no one at work knows me that long(i moved jobs last year), so i have to post my referee letters and get my friends to sign them.

i got my ILR on 18 August 2004 and have been in the UK since 1998.

by that rule i am eligible, i need to check out the requirements for the person of Indian origin card before i go ahead with my naturalisation application.

i guess i can safely go to India for a period of 3 weeks after i hand in my naturalisation application

John

Post by John » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:42 pm

Roger, it looks like you are time-qualified now so should apply as soon as you can.

There are probably lots of people qualified to sign your form as referee. Ex-teachers or lecturers for example? One of the requirements is that they have known you for at least three years ..... there is no requirement that they have been in touch with you constantly during the period they are certifying they have known you.

When my wife applied for naturalisation when she had been in the UK for three years one of her referees was someone she first met 21 years earlier .... the Christian missionary who converted her to Christianity in Thailand all those years ago (and who, by coincidence, lives only 20 miles away from us now).

Someone like an ex-schoolteacher or ex-University lecturer might be very willing to help. Also fellow students at University, as long as they are now at least 25 years old.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:40 pm

thanks for the advice,
i will grab hold of two friends who live in the vicinity

I had a further couple of questions
How long after one gets the naturalisation, can one get the British passport. Trying to figure out if I can take advantage of the visa free Europe travel in December if I apply in the beginning of October also if I get the naturalization letter telling me to get the ceremony done in 90 days(are the ceremonies done on select days), can I ignore it say for 60 days and continue to travel on my Indian passport for 60 days?

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:26 pm

Roger, after getting your hands on your Naturalisation Certificate you can then apply for a British Passport. Assuming you apply using the checking service at the Post Office your new passport will take about 7 to 10 days to arrive.

As regards the Citizenship Ceremony, certainly don't go over that 90 day limit. If you do the offer of naturalisation is liable to be withdrawn.

How often are such ceremonies done? That varies considerably. For example, here in Birmingham, they do ceremonies on two days per month, and on each such day will have two or more separate ceremonies. But in rural areas with a lot less people to deal with, the ceremonies could easily be 6 to 8 weeks apart.

Hint! If you live in a rural area complete the section of the form AN(NEW) to shift your ceremony to a larger centre. If in doubt, contact your local council and ask about the ceremony frequency.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:13 am

Thanks for the reply John

i am a bit confused about the citizenship ceremony

do i need to attend this in order to get my naturalisation certificate and i can attend the citizenship ceremony after i get some sort of letter from the home office stating that i am eligible for the ceremony

or is it a parallel process wherein i get my naturalisation certficate from the home office and i can apply for a passport and in the meantime i should also go for the ceremony

i mean given the four steps
1. letter from home office stating something
2. citizenship ceremony
3. obtaining naturalisation certificate (handed at citizenship ceremony ??)
4. get passport from post office

is it step 1-2-3-4 or is it

1-3-4 with a step 2 within 90 days of step 1

i live in the west of london, i guess ceremonies in the west of london would be twice a month.

i guess if it is a step 1-2-3-4 process and i apply using the check-in service i can potentially end up with a british passport in
step 1 2 weeks
step 2 2 weeeks
step 3 1 week
step 4 2 weeks

7 weeks (2 months approximately), correct?

John

Post by John » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:28 pm

I think it is best if I ignore your numbers and say :-

Assuming the application for naturalisation is approved :-
  • you will get a letter from IND saying you have been successful and also telling you to expect a letter from your Local Authority about the Citizenship Ceremony
  • you do indeed get that letter from your Local Authority a few days later (given that IND will have written to them and forwarded your Certificate of Naturalisation to them), and that letter will give you details of the available ceremonies and ask you to make contact with them and say what is convenient for you
  • you then attend that indicated Citizenship Ceremony, during which you will swear the oath or will affirm, and will then be handed your Certificate of Naturalisation. That is the moment you become British
  • you can then apply for a British Passport, and one of the documents you will supply will be that Certificate of Naturalisation. If you apply for your passport using the Post Office checking service, it is currently taking about 7 to 10 days for your British passport to arrive
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:50 pm

thankyou very much John for taking the time to reply to my post and clear up my misconceptions.