ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current job market in the UK....

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

coolsats
BANNED

Current job market in the UK....

Post by coolsats » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Gurus,

Is the job market better than before, or is it still at its worst stage. Is it advisable to come now, or should we still wait further.
If wait, then till what time can we plan our travel.
I work in data warehousing technology, like informatica, UNIX and Oracle. Can i expect a job in this technology...

Please advice ppl...

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Wrong forums. But Market is bad..

maheshnair
BANNED

Re: Current job market in the UK....

Post by maheshnair » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:37 pm

[quote="coolsats"]Gurus,

Is the job market better than before, or is it still at its worst stage. Is it advisable to come now, or should we still wait further.
If wait, then till what time can we plan our travel.
I work in data warehousing technology, like informatica, UNIX and Oracle. Can i expect a job in this technology...

Please advice ppl...[/qu

Tough time .................. Again if you are fitter than the fittest ....You still can get ...

igetaround
Newly Registered

Post by igetaround » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:45 pm

The market is still going down... even with new financial year budgets recruiters say that it is rather grim :cry:

samnazeer
Newly Registered

DataWarehousing

Post by samnazeer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi

I am working in DWH and market is OK.
I know it is tough but DWH is doing good.
After 10 interviews in DWH i got 2 offers.

Best of luck

anishpadela

SAP market?

Post by anishpadela » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:44 pm

How is SAP market doing? Any idea...

coolsats
BANNED

Post by coolsats » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi samna,

Nice to hear from you.
In DWH what technology do you work on.
As for me i work on Informatica, oracle and unix, howz the market for this.......

kandasamy

Re: DataWarehousing

Post by kandasamy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:55 am

[quote="samnazeer"]Hi

I am working in DWH and market is OK.
I know it is tough but DWH is doing good.
After 10 interviews in DWH i got 2 offers.

Best of luck[/quote]

Hi,

I got my tier1 visa which is valid from 30 April 2009 . I am having total 9+ years of experience in IT . For last 4.5 years I am working in DWH.
In the job portals daily I am posting my resume , but so far I haven’t received any feedback from any consultants. Please let me know what is best way to post the resume and also share few company id’s. Are u in UK or In India.

Regards
Kandasamy

hello_moderator
BANNED

Post by hello_moderator » Tue May 12, 2009 8:38 pm

coolsats wrote:Hi samna,

Nice to hear from you.
In DWH what technology do you work on.
As for me i work on Informatica, oracle and unix, howz the market for this.......

market is bad for all these

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Fri May 15, 2009 11:53 am

its tough in every industry mate. you have to be exceptionally strong now,fortunately most "truely" highly skilled people are!:D

kandasamy

Post by kandasamy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am

Hi,

From my company I was deputed at London for 1 months. I am having experience in Informatica, Unix, Oracle. Could you please tell me the list of consultants who are handling the DWH client.

Regards
Kandasamy

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 pm

One month UK experience isn't a big sell factor. There could be others who have many months of DWH experience and are readily available in UK too.

Are you in UK or India? Unless you are here, it would make much difference of sending CVs to consultants.
kandasamy wrote:Hi,

From my company I was deputed at London for 1 months. I am having experience in Informatica, Unix, Oracle. Could you please tell me the list of consultants who are handling the DWH client.

Regards
Kandasamy

kandasamy

Post by kandasamy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi,

This is my 2 trip to UK. Last time I came here through WP and worked at client location for 20 months and back to India. Again I deputed now to new client for 1 to 3 month. So I am having more than 22 months UK experience.

If u have any list of consultant please share with me.

Regards
KAndasamy

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 am

If you ahve 20 months of UK experience why haven't you heard from consultants yet.

The reasons could be,
1) you are still far away to be called for interview. Temp jobs are filled in few days.
2) Your CV doesn't have a cover letter - explaining why your skills suit that job better. The cover letter has to be individually addressed and modified for each and every job you apply, it can't just be a mass mailer.

Remember, UK is very competitive market, while it may be difficult to find a job, it is equally difficult to get the right candidate with the right skills and experience too.

So, HR consultants, wouldn't leave you if you showcase you have the right skills for the right job.

This is my 2 trip to UK. Last time I came here through WP and worked at client location for 20 months and back to India. Again I deputed now to new client for 1 to 3 month. So I am having more than 22 months UK experience.

If u have any list of consultant please share with me.

Regards
KAndasamy

kandasamy

Post by kandasamy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi,

What you say is right, but I was deputed from my Indian company here, so ever get a chance to know about the HR consultants. Now also I was deputed from Indian company. If u have any list of HR consultant please let me know.
For each opening we need to modify our cover letter.

Regards
Kandssamy

Accountant
Newly Registered

Post by Accountant » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 am

What you say is right, but I was deputed from my Indian company here, so ever get a chance to know about the HR consultants. Now also I was deputed from Indian company. If u have any list of HR consultant please let me know.

Regards
Kandssamy
There may be shortage of jobs but there is also a shortage of good candidates. We as an employer are really struggling to find suitable candidates for our busy accounting firm. Only yesterday I had to fire my two staff (unfortunately both were on HSMP visas from India).

As an employer I would not mind employing some one who has right ideas and attitude though he may lack some experience (UK) but with right skills.

Cover letter is very much important as it gives the impression that it was not just mass mailer. Basically you are trying to sale your services here and you want to be as much convincing as possible.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:35 pm

See what I told is correct Kandasamy. Personalised covering letter is a must.
Accountant wrote:

Regards
Kandssamy
There may be shortage of jobs but there is also a shortage of good candidates. We as an employer are really struggling to find suitable candidates for our busy accounting firm. Only yesterday I had to fire my two staff (unfortunately both were on HSMP visas from India).

As an employer I would not mind employing some one who has right ideas and attitude though he may lack some experience (UK) but with right skills.

Cover letter is very much important as it gives the impression that it was not just mass mailer. Basically you are trying to sale your services here and you want to be as much convincing as possible.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:36 pm

A/c, Can you tell us why you fired those two members? Were they lacking skills?
Accountant wrote:

Regards
Kandssamy

Accountant
Newly Registered

Post by Accountant » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:36 am

rsathish wrote:A/c, Can you tell us why you fired those two members? Were they lacking skills?
Accountant wrote:

Regards
Kandssamy

I can not even begin to explain how rubbish they were. Though we always try to understand the need of an employee and provide appropriate training but they still need to apply their mind. What concerned me was their attitude. Coming late in office, chatting very loudly on mobile even if we have clients in premises etc etc. no appetite to learn new things like new accounting software. If the matter was only of skill or knowledge or experience, we could make it work. But it was a matter of attitude which we can not change. After giving three warnings in writing in 3 months, we asked them to submit their resignation.

That is why I am saying there is also a shortage of right people in the market. So there is no need to worry about recession or whatever. If you have right attitude, skill, willingness and can pass that first hurdle of gatekeeper (agents) you can get that job.

Believe me after letting those two go, I am not feeling very well for 2 days now. It just feels bad firing people in these times. But I really tried very hard with them but nothing worked.