ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance visa application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Celso
Newly Registered

Fiance visa application

Post by Celso » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi, I'd like to know how long does it take, in general, to get the fiance' visa after you have applied for it.

I'm asking this because I'll probably be in the UK by November abd returning to Portugal to apply for the civil partnership visa and i need to plan where I'm gonna stay in Portugal and for how long.

Thank you.
Celso

John

Post by John » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:29 pm

Do you need a visa? What is your nationality? Where are you currently living?

Do appreciate, if you are talking about Civil Partnership rather than marriage, the UK's immigration rules have not yet been adapted to deal with CPs. And of course a CP cannot be registered until December.
John

Celso
Newly Registered

Post by Celso » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:54 pm

Yes, I need a visa because I am Brazilian and I live in Portugal at the moment. When I asked for the fiance' visa I did it just to have a rough idea of how long would it takes Cause as I said before I'll be coming from the UK to apply for it.

I know that there are no rules about the CP at the moment and I just thought that they can be similar to the fiance' visa.

Thanks for any advise you can give me.
Celso.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 am

Celso,

from the IND (Immigration and Nationality Directorate) website:

"The Immigration and Nationality Directorate intends to allow applicants to apply for certificates of approval and entry clearance for registering a civil partnership before 5 December. This will allow prospective civil partners to give notice of their civil partnership at the earliest opportunity. Further information about how to go about this will be made available closer to the time."

I suggest you keep reading and watching the changes that will be posted on

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... rship.html

as this is the official Civil Partnership website, which I did not give to you in your other posting.

Keep watching this, as it will be updated nearer to 5 December.

Rogerio

Celso
Newly Registered

Post by Celso » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:20 am

Thanks again(obrigado ) Rogerio.
Celso.

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:27 am

Getting back to your original question :-
I'd like to know how long does it take, in general, to get the fiancé' visa after you have applied for it.
-: assuming you have some sort of residence rights in Portugal, that is, you are not just visiting, you should be able to apply for your "fiancé" visa there in Portugal. In which case you will find that your application will be dealt with quite speedily. No necessarily instantly but probably only a few days delay.

However if you are merely visiting Portugal you will probably need to apply for your visa back in Brazil, and that might take a lot longer.

Either way, you need to accept that the legislation is going to be very new when you use it. Don't necessarily assume that all the staff in all the British Missions around the world are going to be instantly up to speed on the change in the immigration rules (when that change is made). Accordingly it might help to print out details of the changes from the IND website and include that print in your evidence folder.
John

Celso
Newly Registered

Post by Celso » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:01 am

Thank you John.
I have a Portuguese resident card. Why, just curiosity, it takes much longer if I had to get the fiance' visa in Brazil?
I didn't understand what you said about printing out details of change. Could you explain to me, please.
Celso.

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:08 am

You need to accept that different British Missions around the world will take different lengths of time to deal with applications. Those in places like EU countries and places like the USA will give a much quicker service than most other countries.

Rogerio has already pointed you in the direction of a particular webpage and that says that the change to the UK's immigration rules you need has not yet been made. However it clearly will be made some time before 5th December when the Civil Partnerships legislation really starts to take effect. All I am saying in print out the odd page or two from the IND website when it is clear that the immigration rules have been changed in the way that you need in order to get your "fiancé" visa.
John

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:55 am

Just on Rio - when I applied for my partner's unmarried partner visa, he travelled to Rio, and it really only took a couple of days. We had a ton of evidence, which obviously helped.

Obviously, as John said, staff worldwide will take some time to get up to date with the new legislation, so I would most definetely print off anything from their website which helps them make a decision.

Celso
Newly Registered

Post by Celso » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Thanks again John and Rogerio. You are not normal people. You are Super heroes saving other people's love life using your super powers (knowledge and life experience)
Thanks.
Celso.