ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering UK - first time and other queries

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gd786
Newly Registered

Entering UK - first time and other queries

Post by gd786 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:18 pm

I got my UK HSMP Tier 1 general visa. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do we need last three months Bank statement at the time of entering UK EVERYTIME or only FIRST time?

2. If Tier 1 General visa was issued in USA and I am there in India for last couple of months - Is it fine to show last three months bank statement of India for Maintenance funds and payslips of USA which I have submitted @ USA British consulate? This question is with reference to first time entry in UK.

Thanks.

push

Re: Entering UK - first time and other queries

Post by push » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:12 pm

gd786 wrote:1. Do we need last three months Bank statement at the time of entering UK EVERYTIME or only FIRST time?
Just for the first time. The immigration officer is well within his rights to ask you about how do you intend to maintain urself in UK anytime you enter. However, as at the time of subsequent entries, you are likely to have established yourself and are expected to be economically active such questions may not be ask. In majority of the cases they wouldn't ask you to show the statements even while entering for the first time.
gd786 wrote:2. If Tier 1 General visa was issued in USA and I am there in India for last couple of months - Is it fine to show last three months bank statement of India for Maintenance funds and payslips of USA which I have submitted @ USA British consulate? This question is with reference to first time entry in UK.
Any funds, as long as these are available to you.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

nsuk
- thin ice -

Post by nsuk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 am

push_hsmp wrote:
gd786 wrote:1. Do we need last three months Bank statement at the time of entering UK EVERYTIME or only FIRST time?
Just for the first time. The immigration officer is well within his rights to ask you about how do you intend to maintain urself in UK anytime you enter. However, as at the time of subsequent entries, you are likely to have established yourself and are expected to be economically active such questions may not be ask. In majority of the cases they wouldn't ask you to show the statements even while entering for the first time.
gd786 wrote:2. If Tier 1 General visa was issued in USA and I am there in India for last couple of months - Is it fine to show last three months bank statement of India for Maintenance funds and payslips of USA which I have submitted @ USA British consulate? This question is with reference to first time entry in UK.
Any funds, as long as these are available to you.
Dear Push

Would it be fine to carry around GBP 4000.00 in cash while I reach the UK along with my wife and son.

Thanks.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 am

nsuk wrote:
Dear Push

Would it be fine to carry around GBP 4000.00 in cash while I reach the UK along with my wife and son.

Thanks.
sorry for butting...

though i do not knwo the limit of cash u can carry but recently while i was visiting india (not coming back) i immigration officers were checking each n every hand bag, before boarding with a dog besides and asked :
1. How much cash are you carrying?
2. Do you have any valuable items in the bag like gold??? (i donno why this question) i told yes the ornaments we r wearing. which they can see...

So, you better carry less amout in cash form and better open an HSBC account in india so that once you come over here u can easily transfer money.. again i do not know the limit of money one can carry..

i just wanted to share my recent experience about checkings

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:27 am

nsuk wrote:Dear Push

Thanks.
What can I bring into the United Kingdom? wrote:If you are carrying 10,000 Euros or more (or equivalent in another currency), and you are travelling from outside the European Union, you must complete a cash declaration form. More information on declaring cash is on the website of HM Revenue & Customs.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:17 am

I wouldn't carry £4k as cash. Can you not convert them as Traveller's cheques? it would be much less riskier to carry them isn't?
nsuk wrote: Would it be fine to carry around GBP 4000.00 in cash while I reach the UK along with my wife and son.
Thanks.

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Carrying GBP 4000 is unnecessary risk. You can get prepaid GBP cards in India. My friend had got one from Axis bank from India with some 2000 GBP loaded on it. You can use that freely in UK. Try considering such options or a travellor's cheque etc, but not so much cash.

push

Post by push » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:09 pm

rsathish wrote:I wouldn't carry £4k as cash. Can you not convert them as Traveller's cheques? it would be much less riskier to carry them isn't?
nsuk wrote: Would it be fine to carry around GBP 4000.00 in cash while I reach the UK along with my wife and son.
Thanks.
TCs are the best bet. Safe as well.

Re the point on HSBC account - Can you actually do that? As far as I know there is no full capital account convertibility in India.
regards,
push

nsuk
- thin ice -

Post by nsuk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

push_hsmp wrote:
rsathish wrote:I wouldn't carry £4k as cash. Can you not convert them as Traveller's cheques? it would be much less riskier to carry them isn't?
Thanks.

Re the point on HSBC account - Can you actually do that? As far as I know there is no full capital account convertibility in India.
Dear push

I already have my HSBC account in India to the full limit in foriegn currency. Can't put anything more in it. Am Thinking of transferring money to my UK Barclays account from here and carry the reciept so as to show to the immigration officer at heathrow on demand. I have stayed in London before as well on a WHM visa.

push

Post by push » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:07 pm

nsuk wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:
Thanks.

Dear push

I already have my HSBC account in India to the full limit in foriegn currency. Can't put anything more in it. Am Thinking of transferring money to my UK Barclays account from here and carry the reciept so as to show to the immigration officer at heathrow on demand. I have stayed in London before as well on a WHM visa.
oh ok so you are holding funds in NRO(foreign Currency) account. Thats fine you should face no problems. Infact if you get a statement from HSBC that too should be OK
regards,
push

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 am

hsmp_1476 wrote:Carrying GBP 4000 is unnecessary risk. You can get prepaid GBP cards in India. My friend had got one from Axis bank from India with some 2000 GBP loaded on it. You can use that freely in UK. Try considering such options or a travellor's cheque etc, but not so much cash.
I am also agree with hsmp_1476. GBP 4000 is really a big amount. In fact, people will start looking at you even if you take out GBP 50 note.

Better to try Pre Loaded Card from any bank or TC. In fact if you have HSBC account in foreign currency, you can use the same there also, Ask HSBC about this.

Moreover, Barclays Bank India is offering an account which can be used in UK also. Check out for that.

Cash as GBP 500 is more than enough for initial days.