ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Travel - resign or leave

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

betterlatethannever

UK Travel - resign or leave

Post by betterlatethannever » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi,

I have 5+ years of experience in asp .net, C#, vb. net, SQL Server and working for reputed company in India.

I am looking for job in UK sitting from India by applying through job sites. But not able to schedule any telephonic round. I am about to complete 9 months in August. I am planning to move to UK... but not sure whether to resign and move to UK and take long leave... If I take long leave what should I say to my employer.

Seniors plzzzzz reply... your reply will be valuable...

:) plzzzzzzzzz guid me

ChetanOjha

Re: UK Travel - resign or leave

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:08 pm

betterlatethannever wrote:Hi,

I have 5+ years of experience in asp .net, C#, vb. net, SQL Server and working for reputed company in India.

I am looking for job in UK sitting from India by applying through job sites. But not able to schedule any telephonic round. I am about to complete 9 months in August. I am planning to move to UK... but not sure whether to resign and move to UK and take long leave... If I take long leave what should I say to my employer.

Listen to the market and stay put. If you want to take risk..better have plan B ready as well.

betterlatethannever

Post by betterlatethannever » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi..
thnx for yr quick reply ...but can u pls elobarate abt dat plan B as i m not able to understand wt do u mean for dat??

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm

betterlatethannever wrote:Hi..
thnx for yr quick reply ...but can u pls elobarate abt dat plan B as i m not able to understand wt do u mean for dat??
If you want to take risk and give a go to come down to UK and search job. You should also plan for things like
1. What happened if you didn't manage to get job for next 3-4 months?
2. Will you have enough finances to survive for and after 3-4 months in UK?
3. Will you be able to go back home(which is always the case) and find job there(which may not be easy in this market)?
4. You also require lot of patience and determination to risk all you have got(i.e. proper job,settled life,job security etc) to go out in an unknown territory(especially for you) and test your mettle.
5. Also note there are people in the UK market with UK experience, who may have upper hand in job search, what distinct quality can you bring for head hunters.
6. You don't only need to plan for finding job but also to live in UK and
survive, which means spending from your wallet without being drained.

This is not to discourage or demoralise you, but the more you give a thought to things the better it will be for you. Make sure you go through things thoroughly and be honest with you and not sheep-walking. People do get job in this market scenario too (thats what i have heard) but found very few who got it. Better safe than sorry.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:34 pm

betterlatethannever wrote:Hi,

If you've got a job then the last thing you should do is resign as the job market here right now is awful.

You could always take a 2 week holiday from work and come to the UK and whilst here just look for jobs. That way you'll have a better idea about what is and isn't available here, sign up to some agencies and get your CV around and see what happens. That's assuming that you have a tier 1 visa already.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:08 pm

meats wrote:
If you've got a job then the last thing you should do is resign as the job market here right now is awful.

You could always take a 2 week holiday from work and come to the UK and whilst here just look for jobs. That way you'll have a better idea about what is and isn't available here, sign up to some agencies and get your CV around and see what happens. That's assuming that you have a tier 1 visa already.
Excellent piece of advice meats, i must say i am surprised and impressed.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

push

Post by push » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Obie wrote:
meats wrote:

Are ppl getting job in 2 weeks?? Not sure about IT but in Finance it takes much longer.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:22 pm

push_hsmp wrote:
Obie wrote:
meats wrote:

Are ppl getting job in 2 weeks?? Not sure about IT but in Finance it takes much longer.
They're not but you can sign up to a handful of agencies who can give you a better idea of what's available and you could, at a push, get an interview or 2 lined up in those 2 weeks.

And yes in finance it takes a lot longer. I'm having a look for a new job in finance and yes it is taking a lot longer than 2 weeks but again, you will get a far better idea of what's happening when in the country than looking online abroad.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:05 pm

meats wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:
Obie wrote:
meats wrote:

They're not but you can sign up to a handful of agencies who can give you a better idea of what's available and you could, at a push, get an interview or 2 lined up in those 2 weeks.

And yes in finance it takes a lot longer. I'm having a look for a new job in finance and yes it is taking a lot longer than 2 weeks but again, you will get a far better idea of what's happening when in the country than looking online abroad.
If it is taking longer for Finance, it is Forever for IT.People are already being asked to either cut down their daily rates(or work weeks/months without salary) OR leave the job on a month's notice. Besides, the person has been already applying and signed up with agencies and not receiving any feedback. Do you think coming in UK for 2 weeks(even to get the idea of market) is worth spending to-and-fro fare+living cost?

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 pm

chetanojha wrote:
meats wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:
Obie wrote:

If it is longer for Finance, it is Forever for IT. Besides, the person has been already applying and signed up with agencies and not receiving any feedback.
Yep, but any agency worker is more likely to reply to someone in country than someone who is currently abroad. I could go and apply for jobs in Australia for example, they're more likely to reply to people already in Australia than someone who is currently abroad and has no definite and confirmed date of entry to Australia.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:15 pm

meats wrote:
chetanojha wrote:
meats wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:Are ppl getting job in 2 weeks?? Not sure about IT but in Finance it takes much longer.

If it is longer for Finance, it is Forever for IT. Besides, the person has been already applying and signed up with agencies and not receiving any feedback.
Yep, but any agency worker is more likely to reply to someone in country than someone who is currently abroad. I could go and apply for jobs in Australia for example, they're more likely to reply to people already in Australia than someone who is currently abroad and has no definite and confirmed date of entry to Australia.
Mate this is the ideal case scenario which doesn' applicable in the current market. As I said above people are already being asked to either cut down their daily rates(or work weeks/months without salary) OR leave the job on a month's notice. Demand has decreased and supply has increased tremendously.For the same amount, companies can get better candidate with UK experience, more skills, more years of experiences,who can easily gel with people,aware of the work culture,way of living etc etc. If you have to decide to pick one, which one would you choose? I hope your answer to my question will explain things.

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 pm

chetanojha wrote:
meats wrote:
chetanojha wrote:
meats wrote:

Mate this is the ideal case scenario which doesn' applicable in the current market. As I said above people are already being asked to either cut down their daily rates(or work weeks/months without salary) OR leave the job on a month's notice. Demand has decreased and supply has increased tremendously.For the same amount, companies can get better candidate with UK experience, more skills, more years of experiences,who can easily gel with people,aware of the work culture,way of living etc etc. If you have to decide to pick one, which one would you choose? I hope your answer to my question will explain things.
I completely agree with you. I was just saying that if you currently have a job in India, as the OP does, then don't resign to look in the UK. If needs be then take a 2 week holiday, for example, and go to UK to have a look as you'd still get paid for it and you'd get a better idea of what is happening.

And yes, i'd pick a local over a foreigner any day of the week right now as there are some very skilled workers in the market right now. I was speaking to an agency earlier this week and you've got managers (in finance at least as that's what i'm looking in) applying for junior roles and on junior wages.

Personally, right now i fail to see why anyone with a job abroad would jeopardise that job and come here unemployed as the market is awful.

betterlatethannever

Post by betterlatethannever » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 am

Hi Gurus ,
thx for being so supportive to take me d rite decision by posting yr valuable suggestions...
But it still not clear to me wt to do.. as per yr all point of view its not easy 2 get d job within 2/3 weeks n same resigning is not recommended !

I m very much agreed to Chetanoja's points...Its really means a lot to me.

Thank u all
chetanojha wrote:
If you want to take risk and give a go to come down to UK and search job. You should also plan for things like
3. Will you be able to go back home(which is always the case) and find job there(which may not be easy in this market)?
4. You also require lot of patience and determination to risk all you have got(i.e. proper job,settled life,job security etc) to go out in an unknown territory(especially for you) and test your mettle.
5. Also note there are people in the UK market with UK experience, who may have upper hand in job search, what distinct quality can you bring for head hunters.

This is not to discourage or demoralise you, but the more you give a thought to things the better it will be for you. Make sure you go through things thoroughly and be honest with you and not sheep-walking. People do get job in this market scenario too (thats what i have heard) but found very few who got it. Better safe than sorry.
Last edited by betterlatethannever on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

betterlatethannever

Post by betterlatethannever » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:23 am

I have concluded 3 scenarios...
1. to resign
2. to take 2/3 weeks medical leave to reach uk n again come back and den resign.. because as its tough to get job by setting in India....but wt if my employers wanted to contact me ??
3. to take 1/2 months leave dat is again medical n ....can i extend it upto 6 months ? if yes , then wt would b d reason 4 dat? can i mail my resignation letter ? n wt if someone ask for references ?? they might crosschek ##

so Gurus...wt u all suggest ?? waiting 4 yr all suggestions/ comments...plsssssssssss post it asap...as its really stressful time going on for me... yr point of views r heartily welcomed :-)
betterlatethannever wrote:Hi Gurus ,
thx for being so supportive to take me d rite decision by posting yr valuable suggestions...
But it still not clear to me wt to do.. :( as per yr all point of view its not easy 2 get d job within 2/3 weeks n same resiging is not recommended !

Thank u all :-)

chetanojha wrote:

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:48 am

In my view, Immigration is not just about getting a job. Think long term, 20 to 30yrs - do you want to settle & raise your kids here?
Don't view this as a 'cat on the wall' scenario.

If I were you, I'd resign and come to UK and make this my new home.

Don't have a Plan B, in that way you would put in 110% effort in getting things in order here - job, decent pay, career growth, where to live etc etc. That's what I did & still improving on.

99.99% you wouldn't be called if you are in India. Temp jobs used to vanish in matter of hours (back in 2007). Imagine the case now.

My advise - looking at your skills, setup ur base in London and target Front Office based jobs in programming, development etc. That's where the £££s is - £50k to £150k

It's all up to the individual & his / her confidence level. Here sky is the limit & nothing is impossible.

And, give a damn to credit crunch - only losers crib.
betterlatethannever wrote:I have concluded 3 scenarios...
1. to resign
2. to take 2/3 weeks medical leave to reach uk n again come back and den resign.. because as its tough to get job by setting in India....but wt if my employers wanted to contact me ??
3. to take 1/2 months leave dat is again medical n ....can i extend it upto 6 months ? if yes , then wt would b d reason 4 dat? can i mail my resignation letter ? n wt if someone ask for references ?? they might crosschek ##

so Gurus...wt u all suggest ?? waiting 4 yr all suggestions/ comments...plsssssssssss post it asap...as its really stressful time going on for me... yr point of views r heartily welcomed :-)
But it still not clear to me wt to do.. :( as per yr all point of view its not easy 2 get d job within 2/3 weeks n same resiging is not recommended !

chetanojha wrote:

betterlatethannever

Post by betterlatethannever » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Thank u so much for yr advise....it really shown me a new direction n motivate me to take a fine decision :-)
but my little concern is ...i got HSMP 9months before...and i havent traveled yet...so will it create any probs ..if i wanted to travel after 1/2 months ?
if nybody has any idea for dis...pls reply #
rsathish wrote:In my view, Immigration is not just about getting a job. Think long term, 20 to 30yrs - do you want to settle & raise your kids here?

Don't have a Plan B, in that way you would put in 110% effort in getting things in order here - job, decent pay, career growth, where to live etc etc. That's what I did & still improving on.

99.99% you wouldn't be called if you are in India. Temp jobs used to vanish in matter of hours (back in 2007). Imagine the case now.

My advise - looking at your skills, setup ur base in London and target Front Office based jobs in programming, development etc. That's where the £££s is - £50k to £150k

It's all up to the individual & his / her confidence level. Here sky is the limit & nothing is impossible.

1. to resign

chetanojha wrote: If you want to take risk and give a go to come down to UK and search job. You should also plan for things like

pyke

Post by pyke » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:48 am

To the OP

Not sure if it's too late, but I'd suggest you tell your employers you're going on holiday. Nothing wrong with going on holiday. You'd be able to get a longer period of leave too. And if you don't manage to get anything in that period, you can always do a bit of real travelling.

kapoor@yahoo.com

Post by kapoor@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm

have a realistic approach as advised by chetanojha. Don’t get carried away with 150K figure (which I don’t agree with) and related optimism. You may expect good package here only if you’ve good business skills/exposure on top of your technical ones.

re your travel, no issues at all.
betterlatethannever wrote:Thank u so much for yr advise....it really shown me a new direction n motivate me to take a fine decision :-)
but my little concern is ...i got HSMP 9months before...and i havent traveled yet...so will it create any probs ..if i wanted to travel after 1/2 months ?
rsathish wrote:In my view, Immigration is not just about getting a job. Think long term, 20 to 30yrs - do you want to settle & raise your kids here?

1. to resign

tomcat
Newly Registered

Post by tomcat » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:36 pm

There is a phrase in India.

"Haath ka chood ke (what you have with you) vaad (Babul plant) me lene mat jaa!" ;-)

But it all depends upon individual circumstances

choice is yours

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Yeh!!
.. Also..One leans to swim once he/she is thrown in to water..Sitting in the shore and thinking of learning to swim will not work out!!!

:D

Ships are safer in shore.. but ships are not ment for it. huh???

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Jedi001 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 pm

pyke wrote:To the OP

Not sure if it's too late, but I'd suggest you tell your employers you're going on holiday. Nothing wrong with going on holiday. You'd be able to get a longer period of leave too. And if you don't manage to get anything in that period, you can always do a bit of real travelling.
Please read your company policy for holidays, I had an option to take 6 months to 1yr of "Leave WITHOUT pay" (we need to provide some information about why we need the leave..example: planning to do higher study etc) if I have served in the company for more than 2 yrs, find out about something like this and try. Personally I resigned and came here, searched...got a job in my domain - IT Consultant...all good now as its permanent position.

Regarding the job scenario, it all depends on your planning mate. I got the job in about 1 month n few days however first 25 days I didnt get any interviews scheduled. I can say one thing that small or medium businesses have got few projects in hand which is allowing them to recruit even in Credit Crunch (blah!!).

I would also like to tell that few of my friends are searching for job from past 4-6 months and have not had any luck yet.

Best of luck buddy.
Cheers
Jedi001

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:39 pm

As Jedi rightly put, it all depends on the individual.

Can you help him out with the search Jedi, if possible?

Jedi001
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Jedi001 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:04 pm

rsathish wrote:As Jedi rightly put, it all depends on the individual.

Can you help him out with the search Jedi, if possible?
I am from IT sector (Infrastructure) and have no idea about finance sector and even Software development side of it mate...
Jedi001

cskmail

Post by cskmail » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi, I have the same case. Any update on this?

betterlatethannever wrote:Thank u so much for yr advise....it really shown me a new direction n motivate me to take a fine decision :-)

1. to resign