ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Very Complicated inquiry about ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sonal

Very Complicated inquiry about ILR

Post by sonal » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:20 am

Can you please help/guide on the following inquiry, it's very important for me to take a vital decision:
I have been working in the UK on the work permit visa since 3years and 6 months and my ILR(PR) in UK is due in March-2006 on the basis of 3years and 11months on WP. About four years ago i put my immigration file to Canada and now i have received the confirmation and got the immigrant visa. The due date for arrival in Canada is May-2006, just wondering am i eligible to apply for the PR in UK eventhough i already have a PR from Canada.

My long term intention is to stay in UK once i get the PR in UK.

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:11 pm

My long term intention is to stay in UK once i get the PR in UK.
And your short-term intention? Your medium-term intention?

Or put it another way, just assume you get your UK ILR next spring, what will you do in the next two years after that? In the next five years after that?
John

sonal

Very complicated inquiry about ILR

Post by sonal » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 am

John,thanks for your fast reply. Well, my short-medium-long term intention is to leave in UK, i wouldn't even bother to visit Canada in case i get my UK ILR in next spring. Having said that i put canada immigration file years ago and now it has been approved.

Do you think am i still eligible to apply for the UK ILR in March-2006?

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:23 am

Sonal, based upon what you say, yes you are eligible to apply for ILR, and indeed I think that the Canadian situation does not come into it at all. That is, you could honestly complete the application form without even mentioning the Canadian situation.

I was just wondering whether it was worth you applying for UK ILR but as your short-medium-long-term aim is to live in the UK, and presumably drop the idea of going to live in Canada, clearly you should be applying for the UK ILR.
John

basis

Post by basis » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:25 am

IMHO of course you can. If you have intention to stay in the UK - UK does not even bother about dual nationality why would they about PR status of Canada.

Good luck.

sonal

Thnx

Post by sonal » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:07 pm

Really appreciate your help and thanks for suggetions. Your reply has really given me moral boost, I will let you know the outcome.

Once again thanking you.

basis

Post by basis » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:58 am

Good luck and please let us know the experience.

fadibatti
Newly Registered

Post by fadibatti » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 am

Sonal -

I have experienced the same situation. Basis is correct in saying that UK does bother about dual nationality. In my passport page 5 has HSMP affixed and page 7 shows Canadian Permenant Visa. I landed in Canada on 5th of June and took flight to London the following day. I applied for the first HSMP extension and am enjoying it. I have also been visiting Toronto occassionally and never faced any problems from any immigration authorities.

Hope this may boost your confidence.

Regards

Fadibatti