ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rather interesting question regarding UK Citizenship?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

ciaramc

Rather interesting question regarding UK Citizenship?

Post by ciaramc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm

Ok so quick question.....

I an Irish citizen would like to know if it's possible to apply for a British passport? Just out of curiousity?

My father an Irish citizen born in The Republic of Ireland before 1944, as I understand it is entitled to a British passport....so does that give me his daughter a right to apply for a British passport? Or would he had have to have been a British passport holder at the time of my birth?

UKBAbble

Re: Rather interesting question regarding UK Citizenship?

Post by UKBAbble » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:13 pm

ciaramc wrote: Ok so quick question.....

I an Irish citizen would like to know if it's possible to apply for a British passport? Just out of curiousity
No you're not I'm afraid

ciaramc wrote: My father an Irish citizen born in The Republic of Ireland before 1944, as I understand it is entitled to a British passport....

No he's not.
ciaramc wrote:so does that give me his daughter a right to apply for a British passport?
No.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Ok that cleared that up so!! Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Re: Rather interesting question regarding UK Citizenship?

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 pm

ciaramc wrote:Ok so quick question.....

I an Irish citizen would like to know if it's possible to apply for a British passport? Just out of curiousity?

My father an Irish citizen born in The Republic of Ireland before 1944, as I understand it is entitled to a British passport..
A British subject passport, not a British citizen passport.

And the cut-off date is 1949.
..so does that give me his daughter a right to apply for a British passport?

No. British subject status is generally not transmissible.