ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligilibilty to Citizenship-HSMP JR Dependant

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dr.Seera
Newly Registered

Eligilibilty to Citizenship-HSMP JR Dependant

Post by Dr.Seera » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Dear all

I have recently got my ILR after completing just one year as a depandant of my husband who had completed his year stay under HSMP JR.

He is eligible to apply for citizenship in next year May (2010) I just wanted to know whether like ILR can I also apply at the sametime. My total stay at that time will 2 year (with 1 year under ILR)

I really appreciate ur response as it may give me some peace of mind in the continuing media rumor about tightening the immigration rules. Well, also be able to visit my relatives in Europe without visa hurdle!

Thanksss

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Based on the information you've provided you cannot apply for naturalisation at the same time as your husband.

The earliest you can apply for citizenship is May 2011 as a spouse of a British citizen (you need to have completed 3 years by then though). As you already have ILR you will not come under the ambit of the new citizenship rules and you also have until July 2013 to apply for your citizenship under current rules.

Hope2007

Post by Hope2007 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi skuk,

you had metioned "you need to have completed 3 years by then though"

you mean as a dependant you should have lived in the uk for 3 years(under spose visa) or generally (you should have lived here for 3 years - say wp holder)

Thanks

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:55 pm

3 years under spouse category

Dr.Seera
Newly Registered

Post by Dr.Seera » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Dear Skuk

Thank you very much
Now i wdnt be waiting with any hope for next year :(

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:30 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sten

Post by Sten » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:11 am

SKUK wrote:3 years under spouse category
But he (she) will not have 3 years in the spouse category in May 2011 then, rather 1 year in dependant status + 2 years in spouse (?) (and that does not take into account main applicant's naturalisation process time)
Good luck !

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Sten wrote:
But he (she) will not have 3 years in the spouse category in May 2011 then, rather 1 year in dependant status + 2 years in spouse (?) (and that does not take into account main applicant's naturalisation process time)
Sorry if I didn't sound clear. Let me elaborate. It's 3 years of legal residence in the UK if you want to apply under the spouse category and not mandatorily 3 years as a spouse. As Vinny has mentioned you can combine any residence category to make up the 3 years. Of course she can only apply under this after the main applicant is successful in his naturalisation application.

Hope this is clear now.

Sten

Post by Sten » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:36 am

SKUK wrote:
Sten wrote:
Hope this is clear now.
Yes, thanks for clarification.
Good luck !