ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent ILR help please!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

charliegal

Urgent ILR help please!

Post by charliegal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:05 am

Hiya, Ive posted a few times on here regarding my husbands ILR but I now have another question ...
We were going to send Set M today; however I have been offered a new job starting on the 1st September. As it is a teaching job I need to take my passport on the first day for the school to carry out a new Criminal Records check on me. The problem is my husband needs to send my passport with his application ...
Set M states ' If your partner is a british citizen without a passport you must provide his/her full birth certificate (showing the parents names) accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of ordinary residence in the uK for at least 3 years. Anyone born in the UK on or after 1 Jan 1983 will only be a british citizen by birth if a parent is a british citizen or settled in the uk at the time of birth. In that case, we will need evidence of the nationality or immigration status of your partners parents at the time of birth for us to be satisfied taht he or she is a british citizen'.
I was born after 1983 therefore if we send my birth certificate rather than my passport what other documents would we need from my parents? My parents were born in the UK.
Sorry for the long message but I am really confused!
Hope someone will be able to help :)

mirnat

Post by mirnat » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:41 pm

I would suggest sending off your passport now with your husband's application but enclose with it a letter explaining that you need your passport back by 1st September for work purposes and enclosing a pre-paid special delivery envelope for them to send it back in.

Alternatively you could send off your husband's application minus your original passport (maybe just enclosing a copy of your passport or your birth certificate), again with a covering letter explaining about your new job and that you will forward the passport to them on 2nd September. A similar thing happened with my husband who applied for ILR in March this year. They required all our most recent bank statements. Mine arrive every 3 months and at the time of submitting his application my recent one had not arrived so I wrote a little letter explaining that I would forward it to them as soon as it did arrive. He got his ILR so they seemed to accept this although granted, a bank statement is not so vital as a passport!

Although it's not compulsory for a British Citizen to have a passport, I would not rely wholly on the birth certificate option. My husband's brother who is Albanian applied recently in person for his ILR. His wife was on holiday and so could not hand her passport over. He did not get ILR on that day. I'm not sure of all the reasons but one of them was the fact that they had not seen the original of his wife's passport despite the fact that she provided her birth certificate and the birth certificate of her parents for her husband to take with him.

Good luck with it anyway but the main thing too is get your husband's application in within the required deadline even if something is missing as long as you write a letter explaining the omission and especially if it's something that can be forwarded to the Home Office in the near future!

charliegal

Post by charliegal » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Thank you for the advice! Ill send my passport off with his application tomorrow but put a note in with it as you suggested. xxx