ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Behaviour to be citizenship factor

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

William Blake
Member of Standing

Behaviour to be citizenship factor

Post by William Blake » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:21 pm

So will this change to ten years be applied retrospectively to people already on other scheme such as 5 year work permits.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090801/tu ... 23e80.html
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:00 pm

I hope that it will only apply to new commers. But we should also remember that they are proposing these changes for probationary citizenships. I hope that there will be fair treatment for every one already in the country.
Lets wait for Monday - when snake will come out from hole.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Not a very good article, the residence requirement is going up from 5 yrs to 8 yrs and good character has always been part of the process.

sac

Post by sac » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Standards of journalism are indeed abysmal...

this from the Graun.. tsk, tsk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/0 ... ort-points

"Crucially, the move to a points-based system - rather than the current near-automatic right to citizenship for anyone who has lived in Britain for five years without a criminal record - will allow the government to raise or lower the hurdles as they choose, depending on economic and political circumstances."

the Independent, merrily joining in the government-fanned hysteria in the run up to the next elections, also offers up some dubious facts..

"The new rules would also see the period for which foreigners have to work in the UK before becoming eligible for citizenship doubling from five to 10 years."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 66332.html

and of course the Daily Mail continues to froth at the mouth, with another of its obligatory immigrant-bashing 'stories':
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itain.html

for such a hot-button topic as immigration, the british media and much of the public are regrettably quite ill-informed.. looks like the only people who actually know all the hoops that immigrants have to jump through are the UKBA staff and the immigrants themselves!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Well done sac, as always, you nailed it. I am impressed
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

sac

Post by sac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:50 pm

you're too kind, Obie.

but seriously, this is getting to be a joke... now The Telegraph is out-Daily Mail-ing the Daily Mail:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... nship.html

anything for a sensationalist headline eh?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Negative factually inaccurate information /headlines about immigrants seem to be a great commodity these days, where Tabloid and some irresponsible Broadsheet news publications are concerned.

These so called journalist are just spouting tripe.

They seem to have lost every inch of basic morality and decency.

They fail to realise the impact their irresponsible and irrational actions are having on community and social cohesion.

They are truly pathetic.

I am so pleased i left that place.

There seems to be a wave of hostility against immigrant in the UK.What i found particularly hilarious is that this hostility is not only aimed at undocumented workers or aliens, but individuals who were welcomed to the UK to fill us skilled positions, that British workers could not feel. There taxes are sweet but their presence aren't. I found it quite queer actually.

One can only imagine the hell these immigrants will be facing at the moment.

Needless, mentioning the existing hurdles they have to overcome.

I hope that conditions improve in African and Asian nations, so that people will not feel compelled to stay in a nation where they are not welcomed.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dr_raihan29

Post by dr_raihan29 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:00 am

for those unfortunate ones like me who are stuck in the limbo between april06 and nov 06 judicial review there may still be a gleamer of hope(purely my own perception though), in the new consultation document in the flowchart of earned citizenship at the very bottom box it says "permanant residents CAN switch to british citizenship at a later stage", so fingers crossed if they still honour the judicial review regarding HSMP's "reasonable expectation to settle" and we get PR/ILR even after july 2011, there might be the option of skipping all these farse and "change to citizenship at a later date"...........well maybe i am just being too hopeful but a drowning man holds on to every last straw :).........any comments from the experts?

Spear

Post by Spear » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 am

dr_raihan29 - yep I agree you are unfortunate. But think about those after Nov 06. They are very very very very very very very unfortunate. Even though they came here with the upfront knowledge that rules could change I am sure they were not expecting anything like this. Before there was the hurdle of getting your HSMP / Tier 1 extension and you were basically ok. Now there is absolutely no guarantee. You could be denied Probationary citizenship after 5 years and could be denied citizenship / PR later down the road. So it could be 10 years of not knowing if you will be kicked out. Very unfortunate.