ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel to france and spain with eufam card?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sombra07
Newly Registered

Can I travel to france and spain with eufam card?

Post by sombra07 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:17 am

Hi

I just want to know if some one can confirm that is possible travelling spain and france with the eufam card without need for a visa. Thank you

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Can I travel to france and spain with eufam card?

Post by Ben » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 pm

What passport do you hold?
Are you travelling with (or to join) your EEA national family member?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

sombra07
Newly Registered

Post by sombra07 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

I have cuban passport, and im travelling with my wife and daughter, both German and Irish citizens,

also can i go to uk with the eufam?
and if it is possible go driving uk on eufam.
thanks a lot

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Basically the answer is no. These 2 countries France and UK blatantly ignore the directive which allows visa free travel with youre spouse. For the UK even though it is common travel area you will need an EEA Family permit (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/)and for France you will need a Schengen visa (http://www.ambafrance.ie/sommaire.php3?id_rubrique=2). Both should be issued free of charge.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:16 pm

sombra07 wrote:I have cuban passport, and im travelling with my wife and daughter, both German and Irish citizens,

also can i go to uk with the eufam?
and if it is possible go driving uk on eufam.
thanks a lot
The French have come to realise that requiring a visa for directive 2004/38 resident card holder is incompatible with the spirit of the directive, and have cease from making that requirement.

A friend of mine returned a fortnight ago with his wife and the french did not even stamped his passport.

In regards to the UK, the EEA family permit is still alive and well.

I would not worry about it too much, if you are traveling with your partner.

However the UK continue to adamantly say you require it. I am sure they will not turn you back, if out of principle you choose not to apply for it.

Good luck with your travel plans, and please be aware of the new Zenophobic naturalisation rules that has been proposed by the UK government should you wish to make plans on settling there.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:08 pm

you can't i went to spain in may, 09 and had to get visa despite having eu fam 4 card but now going to czech republic this month with only my card...

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:19 pm

knapps wrote:you can't i went to spain in may, 09 and had to get visa despite having eu fam 4 card but now going to czech republic this month with only my card...
What can't you do knapps mate.

Go to France? i think you can, my friend did recently.

UK ? You can, but they insist you apply for the EEA Family permit, which i have deep misgivings about.

Spain are an exception to the rule. They have decided to follow the narrow interpretation used by the UK and Ireland to illegally demand that family members on directive 2004/38 EC resident card, apply for a visa.

alooma

Post by alooma » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:16 pm

hello m8
u can go to the uk with out the need for visa if u ve an eu resident card for family members of eu citzen which i suppose is issued to u by the irish authorities,the uk require family permit for people with out the so called RC.
as for spain this is the latest up date on thier website below

FAMILY MEMBERS OF EU CITIZENS
Holders of 4EUFam residence card will be exempt of the visa requirement providing they acompany or join the EU-EEA citizen
If they do not hold a 4EUFam residence card they do require a visa. EU citizens family members’ applications will be processed with due priority and free of charge. Providing they accompany or join them, they will only have to provide the Embassy with:
- Residence card (original and copy)
- Certificate of marriage (original and copy)
- Spouse passport (original and copy)
- Proof they are travelling together or joining the EU spouse.
- Application form (Spanish-English, PDF, 37 Kb)
- 2 recent photographs

so enjoy ur trip with ur family and exercise ur right correctly,do not let any tom dick and harry deprive of ur right

GOODLUCK

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:54 pm

You are quite right about the Spanish exemption for holders of EUFAM provided they are traveling with the EU national relation. This is quite interesting as the last time i checked several months ago, they required a visa from these category of people.<<Spanish visa free Info for holders of EUFAM>>

However in regards to the UK, you definitely require a EEA family permit whether or not you are traveling with the EU family member, however if you are not in possession of it, you will be allowed entry if you are with you EEA family member and you can provide evidence of your relationship.

This new Spanish development leaves the UK and Ireland totally isolated from the EU and it laws as always.

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Spain dont have problem with 4EUFAM and holland as well, i have made the trip recently together with my wife and all was fine.

sombra07
Newly Registered

Post by sombra07 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi
can some one confirm that they went to France with 4 eufam recently?i rang the embassy and they told me I need a visa, i didn't find anything in their website.thank you

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:07 pm

You are certainly allowed to travel to France without a visa if you hold a resident card issued under directive 2004/38EC, so long as your EEA family member is with you or you are joining him in France you are covered. Please ensure you hold you marriage certificate and print this information just in case the airport officials act as if they are uaware or are unaware of the rules.( Please note that this is the rule for spouses holding UK resident card under directive 2004/38EC)

I am truly fed up with these people. The Irish French Embassy website has conflicting information from that of the one on their Embassy website in Britain. How they use double standards when dealing with family members of directive 2004/38EC is beyond my belief. Please read <<here>>

sombra07
Newly Registered

Post by sombra07 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:28 pm

thank you obie, do you have any idea if i can go driving by ferry to france?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:34 pm

You can certainly go, if you have the visa they requested for EUfam holders.

I am assuming you read the second paragraph of my statement. Where they stated that Irish EUfam card holders are required to hold a visa, whiles British Resident card holders aren't.