ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on passport photographs for Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chidol4u
Newly Registered

Advice on passport photographs for Tier 1

Post by chidol4u » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Just some advice for other applicants based on my experience,I've seen a few posts on the forum about passport photographs.I submitted my application with the same passport photograph I used 2 years ago.I didn't think it was a big issue until other threads on the forum started discussing it

Application Posted on 14th July
Application Received on 15th July
Confirmation Letter Received on 17th July

I received a letter today which read

''Thank you for your application of 15 July 2009 for leave to remain in the United Kingdom under Tier 1 General
I would be grateful if you could submit two recent passport size photographs of yourself.
Your documents will be returned to you as soon as I receive these photographs.''

I feel very lucky that I wasn't refused because I've seen people on the forum being refused for mistakes less significant than this.I'm also hoping that this is a good sign and that my application will be approved.

push

Re: Advice on passport photographs for Tier 1

Post by push » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:10 pm

chidol4u wrote:Just some advice for other applicants based on my experience,I've seen a few posts on the forum about passport photographs.I submitted my application with the same passport photograph I used 2 years ago.I didn't think it was a big issue until other threads on the forum started discussing it

Application Posted on 14th July
Application Received on 15th July
Confirmation Letter Received on 17th July

I received a letter today which read

''Thank you for your application of 15 July 2009 for leave to remain in the United Kingdom under Tier 1 General
I would be grateful if you could submit two recent passport size photographs of yourself.
Your documents will be returned to you as soon as I receive these photographs.''

I feel very lucky that I wasn't refused because I've seen people on the forum being refused for mistakes less significant than this.I'm also hoping that this is a good sign and that my application will be approved.
Well you took a big risk and the caseworker seems to be very considerate. The fact that they have asked for another set of photograph suggests that they want to use it. I cant think of any other use than to put it on the approved VISA.
UKBA has very clear guidance on photographs to be submitted. Applicants should try to stick to the same.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

monday

Post by monday » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:13 pm

HI
Thank you for posting this. I think you are very lucky, bcos a wicked caseworker would have rejected your application. Someone posted this question of using a two year photograph last week. I hope people will learn from your experience

sxprak2
Newly Registered

Post by sxprak2 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi,

How did they find out that your photographs were 2 yr old?Now I am worried as i just checked the copy of my entry clearance and my new photographs which I sent, they look similar. Like you I applied for applied for HSMP to Tier 1 extension on 16th july. While many who applied on 18th(2 days after me) got their applications back, but I didn't. If they refuse application does it take more time than the time taken for approved application... any ideas?

dates below:

Applied on 16 July 2009
Received 17 july
Fee debited 20 july
Referance number received 23 july

Is there anyone else who applied on or before 16th july and did not yet get the documents back?

Premkumar99
BANNED

photo

Post by Premkumar99 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:55 pm

just make sure it is your photo

chidol4u
Newly Registered

Post by chidol4u » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Well,in my case it was quite obvious because I've used the same passport over and over again for the past 2 years including my previous application to the HO.I got 1000 copies of that passport photo bc of miscommunication I had with the printers which resulted in an overprint.I've been trying to use the passports as much as I can.

Anyway,lesson learnt.People,please take a passport that's recent enough to meet HO requirements.It's £4 in boots and that's not worth getting rejected for.

Premkumar99
BANNED

is it you

Post by Premkumar99 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:56 pm

the first thing is make sure it is ur photo not your friend

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Tier 1 Application rejected due to photo requirement

Post by deepthy_ravi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:04 pm

I am currently living and working in UK on a 5 year employer sponsored work permit. Last month I had submitted an application to convert the work permit to Tier 1 General visa.
Inspite of having 110 points and all the required documentation, my application was rejected saying that my wife’s photograph( tier 1 dependant) is more than 1 month old !!!

My wife came to UK on a WP dependant visa in August 2008 and the case worker would have cross checked her visa photograph against the photo provided along with the application.

Can someone please let me know if we can appeal against this verdict?

If yes, how long does the process take?

Thanks.

zhsmp
Newly Registered

Post by zhsmp » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:49 pm

sxprak2 wrote:Hi,

How did they find out that your photographs were 2 yr old?Now I am worried as i just checked the copy of my entry clearance and my new photographs which I sent, they look similar. Like you I applied for applied for HSMP to Tier 1 extension on 16th july. While many who applied on 18th(2 days after me) got their applications back, but I didn't. If they refuse application does it take more time than the time taken for approved application... any ideas?

dates below:

Applied on 16 July 2009
Received 17 july
Fee debited 20 july

Is there anyone else who applied on or before 16th july and did not yet get the documents back?
I applied on 9th July. I also provided two year old photographs.
They spotted it from my passport and called me on 5th Aug asking me for another set of photographs. But it entirly upto them. they can reject it.
Your chances are 50/50.
I would recommend that you send them new photograph before they ask for it. It will take one day by special delivery.
It totallly depend on the case worker.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:06 pm

zhsmp wrote:
sxprak2 wrote:Hi,

dates below:

Applied on 16 July 2009
Received 17 july
Fee debited 20 july

I applied on 9th July. I also provided two year old photographs.
They spotted it from my passport and called me on 5th Aug asking me for another set of photographs. But it entirly upto them. they can reject it.
Your chances are 50/50.
I would recommend that you send them new photograph before they ask for it. It will take one day by special delivery.
It totallly depend on the case worker.
@ zhsmp..
that is a very good feedback and sharing of info...

Guys.. u shd not delay and send ur new set of photos..

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:23 am

There was a case, where the extension was on hold for 60+days.
The issue was that the same - 2 yr old photographs.

All I can say is, you are lucky indeed.

zhsmp
Newly Registered

Post by zhsmp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:08 am

rsathish wrote:There was a case, where the extension was on hold for 60+days.
The issue was that the same - 2 yr old photographs.

All I can say is, you are lucky indeed.
Yes i also think so. Well the lesson learned is ...HO do take photograph seriously and people should make sure they send recent photograph while making the application.

hsmp_1476

Post by hsmp_1476 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

monday wrote:HI
Thank you for posting this. I think you are very lucky, bcos a wicked caseworker would have rejected your application. Someone posted this question of using a two year photograph last week. I hope people will learn from your experience
Thanks a lot for posting this. I was the one who posted the question of using two year old photo for the extension application few weeks ago. This thread gives a very clear answer to this question and also shows how important it is to meet the full requirements of the photo guidelines.

Thanks
Vikram

maximux79

Re: Tier 1 Application rejected due to photo requirement

Post by maximux79 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Any update on this....did u appeal and what the outcome..

Cheers
deepthy_ravi wrote:I am currently living and working in UK on a 5 year employer sponsored work permit. Last month I had submitted an application to convert the work permit to Tier 1 General visa.
Inspite of having 110 points and all the required documentation, my application was rejected saying that my wife’s photograph( tier 1 dependant) is more than 1 month old !!!

My wife came to UK on a WP dependant visa in August 2008 and the case worker would have cross checked her visa photograph against the photo provided along with the application.

Can someone please let me know if we can appeal against this verdict?

If yes, how long does the process take?

Thanks.

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Application rejected due to photo requirement

Post by deepthy_ravi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:11 pm

maximux79 wrote:Any update on this....did u appeal and what the outcome..

Cheers
deepthy_ravi wrote:I am currently living and working in UK on a 5 year employer sponsored work permit. Last month I had submitted an application to convert the work permit to Tier 1 General visa.

No. There are no appeal rights for an application unless the visa has expired at the time the decision is made.

When we talked to HO, they said that the application has been made 'Invalid' and not 'rejected'. They have refunded the application fee.

We have submitted a fresh application with new set of photographs..

patni
Newly Registered

Post by patni » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:08 am

How long did it take for them to issue the refund? Was it the same mode of payment as you used to pay them?

deepthy_ravi
Newly Registered

Post by deepthy_ravi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 am

patni wrote:How long did it take for them to issue the refund? Was it the same mode of payment as you used to pay them?
The application was made invalid on 31/07/2009. Our documents were returned to us on Tuesday 4th of August. Our debit card was refunded and the money reached our account on 12/09/09.

pnlakshmi
Newly Registered

Post by pnlakshmi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Looks like they have recently changed the phot guidelines and changed the requirement of photo to be recent 1 month. Good that they are refunding the payment. I have also faced the same problem. My photo was qualifying the 6 months requirement, i have used the last visa photo within 6 months.

chidol4u
Newly Registered

Post by chidol4u » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Thank God.I got my Tier 1 visa today.Thanks to everyone on the forum for your advice

hav_2_get_hsmp

Post by hav_2_get_hsmp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm

[quote="pnlakshmi"]Looks like they have recently changed the phot guidelines and changed the requirement of photo to be recent 1 month. Good that they are refunding the payment. I have also faced the same problem. My photo was qualifying the 6 months requirement, i have used the last visa photo within 6 months.[/quote]

No the rule has always been 'photographs' should be less than 1 month old.