ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to provide expired passports as well

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Do I need to provide expired passports as well

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:55 pm

This is probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry.

I currently hold a HSMP visa since 2007 and am about to apply for extending/switching to Tier 1 (General). This HSMP visa is stamped onto my current passport.

Prior to applying for the HSMP, I was in the UK as a student and my student visa is stamped onto a passport that expired in 2006.

For my current application, do I need to provide the passport that expired in 2006?

The application form says "Please give details of the applicant’s current passport or travel document and any others that he/she has used to travel to and remain in the United Kingdom and which shows his/her current leave."

My interpretation makes me say that I don't need to provide the passport that expired in 2006, but am just asking for re-confirmation or any information otherwise.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:00 pm

To be on the safe side you should provide it.

If for whatever reason you do not want to provide this then my understanding is if you use that passport to get EC (visa) for Uk and then on that visa you switched in country then you must provide that passport.

If you used that passport and flew back to home country and then you made a new EC application then you may not need to provide that.

Sapphire1974

Post by Sapphire1974 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 pm

I have something same to clarify; I have a new passport that doesnt have EC on it; however my previous password has it which is expiring in Sep 2009. I am submitting both passports current and the one that has EC in it and yet to expire...

Could anyone tell me answer of question D5 (YES or NO)? (page 20 of main applicant form)?

Thanks

ChetanOjha

Re: Do I need to provide expired passports as well

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:27 pm

cheshiregoan wrote:This is probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry.

I currently hold a HSMP visa since 2007 and am about to apply for extending/switching to Tier 1 (General). This HSMP visa is stamped onto my current passport.

Prior to applying for the HSMP, I was in the UK as a student and my student visa is stamped onto a passport that expired in 2006.

For my current application, do I need to provide the passport that expired in 2006?

The application form says "Please give details of the applicant’s current passport or travel document and any others that he/she has used to travel to and remain in the United Kingdom and which shows his/her current leave."

My interpretation makes me say that I don't need to provide the passport that expired in 2006, but am just asking for re-confirmation or any information otherwise.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.
If you have your valid visa stamped on your old/expired passport, you should provide it. Although that is not mandatory and your can explain in your application(cover letter and under relevant section) that you are submitting only new passport(as this new passport will have reference no. of your old passport anyway).

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. Just to clarify, I was in the UK as a student from 2005-06. Since my passport was due to expire, I obtained a fresh passport in 2006 before my student visa expired. After graduation I returned to India in 2006.

In 2007 I applied successfully for HSMP from India, which was stamped onto my new passport, and this is the passport I am currently using.

I do not have the passport that had expired in 2006 with me, it is in my home in India. If required I can ask my parents to send it here by courier, but I don't want to do that unnecessarily.

Any advice?

Thanks once again.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:09 pm

cheshiregoan wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. Just to clarify, I was in the UK as a student from 2005-06. Since my passport was due to expire, I obtained a fresh passport in 2006 before my student visa expired. After graduation I returned to India in 2006.

In 2007 I applied successfully for HSMP from India, which was stamped onto my new passport, and this is the passport I am currently using.

I do not have the passport that had expired in 2006 with me, it is in my home in India. If required I can ask my parents to send it here by courier, but I don't want to do that unnecessarily.

Any advice?

Thanks once again.
Better use your new passport(with stamp) now as you already have visa stamped on it.
Besides, it is illegal to courier/post passort in-out of the country.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Based on the info u provide i think you need not to provide details of passport in India.

vt_76

Post by vt_76 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 am

Hi,

My wife got new passport in India after applying to change last name...This was requirement to apply passport for our new born baby..

After applying she got new passport, with old passport having HSMP visa stamp...After returing to UK, I applied for extension to Tier-1 and provided both passports, now she got her tier-1 visa in new passport.

My question is somebody mentioned to me that we need to return old passport to Indian embassy as it is illegal to hold both passports like that..is it true..do I have to return old passport with her maiden name...I have not checked it for any invalid stamp etc yet..

Thanks,
VT

confusedhsmp
Member of Standing

Post by confusedhsmp » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:07 am

What does this question mean?

D5. Are either the applicant’s current and/or any one of his/her previous passport(s) or travel
document(s) that he/she has used to travel to, and remain in, the United Kingdom which
shows his/her current leave unavailable?

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:37 am

This questions means I quote "Do you have a valid LTR?".

If your answer is "yes" for this question then answer "no" to the above question.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:40 pm

vt_76 wrote:Hi,

My wife got new passport in India after applying to change last name...This was requirement to apply passport for our new born baby..

After applying she got new passport, with old passport having HSMP visa stamp...After returing to UK, I applied for extension to Tier-1 and provided both passports, now she got her tier-1 visa in new passport.

My question is somebody mentioned to me that we need to return old passport to Indian embassy as it is illegal to hold both passports like that..is it true..do I have to return old passport with her maiden name...I have not checked it for any invalid stamp etc yet..

Thanks,
VT
If your wife received her new passport before the expiry date on her old passport please check that the word CANCELLED stamped on it by the Passport Office with a signature.

If her new passport was issued after the expiry date mentioned then there is no problem at all.

There is nothing illegal in retaining an expired passport.

ALSO, thanks to everyone who answered to my query.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:09 pm

vt_76 wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
VT
You can return old passport to Embassy. But the reason you have got two passport was due to the fact that you had your old visa stamped on it. But since now have your visa on new passport you can return the old passport to embassy. I don't thin Keeping expired passport is illegal provided you do not misplace it.