ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent : minimum wage for a chef

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ncisgreat

Urgent : minimum wage for a chef

Post by ncisgreat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:46 am

I am applying for second level chef. According to COS, the minimum salary for 2nd chef is 8.65 GBP per hour i,e 18000 per year working 40 hours per week. My Sponsor told me he has stated 20,000 GBP per year in my certificate of sponsorhip but he hasn't mentioned anything about accomodation and meals.

But problem is, In cos rules it is said that minimum wage is 8.65 after any deductions of accomodation and meals.
does that mean Sponsor should pay me extra for my accomodation and meals ?

If yes, submitting letter from my sponsor that my accomodation and meals will be free in his restaurant will be enough ?
or he should provide me extra amount for my accomodation ?

If he should provide me extra amount, can he change my COS which is already made but has not submitted in Embassy ?

Please what will be the best... its very urgent.
please refer this.. u can look at appropriate salary rate of chef on page 23
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... actice.pdf

Markie

Re: Urgent : minimum wage for a chef

Post by Markie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:51 am

based on your Q's below, the most suited person to answer is your sponsor himself - ask him if the rate he placed in your application is before or after the deductions.
ncisgreat wrote:I am applying for second level chef. According to COS, the minimum salary for 2nd chef is 8.65 GBP per hour i,e 18000 per year working 40 hours per week. My Sponsor told me he has stated 20,000 GBP per year in my certificate of sponsorhip but he hasn't mentioned anything about accomodation and meals.

But problem is, In cos rules it is said that minimum wage is 8.65 after any deductions of accomodation and meals.
does that mean Sponsor should pay me extra for my accomodation and meals ?

If yes, submitting letter from my sponsor that my accomodation and meals will be free in his restaurant will be enough ?
or he should provide me extra amount for my accomodation ?

If he should provide me extra amount, can he change my COS which is already made but has not submitted in Embassy ?

Please what will be the best... its very urgent.
please refer this.. u can look at appropriate salary rate of chef on page 23
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... actice.pdf

ncisgreat

Post by ncisgreat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:52 am

no he hasn't mentioned anything.. just gave 20 thou on earning per year field and left blank for accommodation field which is not mandatory..

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:05 am

Daily
Gross Income £76.92
Taxable Income £52.02
Tax £10.40
National Insuranc £6.04
Take Home £60.48
2008 values £60.03

Thats a break down according to www.salarycalculator.co.uk which is pretty accurate. If we use both your take home and Gross income on £20k, hourly rates based on a 37.5 hour week look like the following:

Gross: £10.25 p/h
Net: £8.06 p/h

This would suggest that due to the fact it says "after deductions for accomodation and food" that it would assume it is working on an after Tax basis. This means that £20k p/a may not be a high enough wage to merit you obtaining Tier 2 sponsorship.

I hope this break down helps and good luck.