ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After geeting BC/ Post Naturalisation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

KUMARVK

After geeting BC/ Post Naturalisation

Post by KUMARVK » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm

After getting BC Do I need to stay in UK permanantly.
I have plans to go backhome to look after parents.

are ther any restrictions like BC holder should visit uk once in 3/6 monhts
like in PR at leaset once in 2 years to keep it active.please advice

chakku71

Re: After geeting BC/ Post Naturalisation

Post by chakku71 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:34 am

Should not be. But there will be restrictions towards use of some benefits as well as NHS services having not been paying the tax/national insurance when you are away.
BB

hari15
Member of Standing

Post by hari15 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 am

Does anybody have any news about Dual Citizenship?

UK Govt allows Dual citizenship for those countries which allows the same with UK

India has passed the Bill for Dual Citizenship in Parliament allowing dual citizenship for citizens of those countries which allows the same with India. But until today Indian President have not signed it, and never came into force till date (as usual). Some are saying that anytime it may come to force

If that law comes in India, an Indian who became BC can hold Indian passport too

If anybody have more idea in this can throw some light

hert

Post by hert » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:08 pm

I think 'dual citizenship' allowed by india is a misconception and it's get confused with OCI (which doesn't allow you to have indian passport).
Do you have any official reference stating that such bill was passed a few years ago (2003?) other than newspapers headlines which are misleading?
If there's any such thing, I would also like to explore that as well.

Thanks

hari15
Member of Standing

Post by hari15 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Hertz I think you are right.

all article regarding Dual citizenship bill of India refers to Overseas Citizenship which is nothing but OCI card

OCI card allows every right on India including education, property acquisition, employment and life long entry to India except for Voting rights and aquisition of agricultural lands

So we cant hold two passports at same time :!:

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 am

hert,

if you hold OCi for 5yrs and if you live in India for a year then you can get an Indian passport.

See point 11 in the following link

http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-chart.pdf

hert

Post by hert » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Raj,
Many thanks for providing that link. I am sure that one would need to renounce UK citizenship if one wants to go for Indian citizenship under OCI scheme (as per their application form). Indian law doesn't allow dual citizenship afaik.
Let me know if you/anyone have more updated information on this.